Bills Coaching Staff Changes Thread

hellofellowbillsfans

2 minutes ago, starrymessenger said:

Well maybe the blown coverages stem from the players having to overthink their assignments. Bills basically line up defensively the same way all the time with actual coverage assumed post snap with players responsibilities determined by reading keys. The number of keys they are asked to process increases in important games against good offenses in order to scheme up the perfect defence to counter the O's playcalls. That is why you see more blown coverages in the playoffs than in the regular season. Frazier does not trust his players to just let them play. The blown coverages are sourced to mental rather than physical errors and so it's necessary to know what exactly is causing that, but the answer seems to be coaching. Other teams may employ the same general defensive strategy but this means not very much given the differences in the ways the scheme may be implemented or modified. If the Eagles meet the Bengals in the championship do you really think Gannon will give Chase a 12 yard cushion on third and three?

Good job regurgitating Cover 1 and not understanding a word of what was said lol. Coverage isn't "assumed post-snap". Based on the formation and receiver splits they know what coverage they're running pre-snap. The Bills play a bunch of pattern match coverages - meaning based on what their key does post-snap determines what they will do and who they will cover. The number of keys they have on a given play doesn't change though lol. This is not uncommon and certainly not specific to Buffalo or Frazier/McDermott. EVERY team in the NFL does this. Are there more formational checks put in during the post-season? That's entirely possible since you have an entire seasons worth of film on a team to narrow down specific tendencies and put yourself in the most advantageous position possible against specific looks.

These guys have been running pattern match coverages since they were in High School though. Having to make checks on the field shouldn't be anything new to them, and the volume of checks shouldn't be either. For example, TCU's base 4-2-5 system has like 12 different coverage checks they can make out of their Quarters coverage based on whether you're aligned to the Read side or Away side of the defense, what the offensive formation is, and what the splits of those receivers are.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don’t think this sacrificial lamb is getting the reaction the team was hoping for from the fans. 😂 Yep, there’s a reason fans don’t coach the team, but this poor bastard - who was coaching one of the most injured units in all of football - just took one for the team. And it won’t make a bit of a difference with Old Man Frazier at the helm. 

• Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The tweet is meaningless.  I’d be dumbfounded if the contract expired before the Super Bowl is scheduled to be played.  The better question is whether the contract expires, say, February 28, 2023.  In other words, the big issue is whether Frazier is under contract for next season. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, SectionC3 said:

The tweet is meaningless.  I’d be dumbfounded if the contract expired before the Super Bowl is scheduled to be played.  The better question is whether the contract expires, say, February 28, 2023.  In other words, the big issue is whether Frazier is under contract for next season. 

Yep, wording is key here.

2 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

This.  Coaches contracts expire usually in Feb.

Glad that these coaching changes are being kept to 1 thread so we can keep track …

5 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Click bait from John…

7 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Good job regurgitating Cover 1 and not understanding a word of what was said lol. Coverage isn't "assumed post-snap". Based on the formation and receiver splits they know what coverage they're running pre-snap. The Bills play a bunch of pattern match coverages - meaning based on what their key does post-snap determines what they will do and who they will cover. The number of keys they have on a given play doesn't change though lol. This is not uncommon and certainly not specific to Buffalo or Frazier/McDermott. EVERY team in the NFL does this. Are there more formational checks put in during the post-season? That's entirely possible since you have an entire seasons worth of film on a team to narrow down specific tendencies and put yourself in the most advantageous position possible against specific looks.

These guys have been running pattern match coverages since they were in High School though. Having to make checks on the field shouldn't be anything new to them, and the volume of checks shouldn't be either. For example, TCU's base 4-2-5 system has like 12 different coverage checks they can make out of their Quarters coverage based on whether you're aligned to the Read side or Away side of the defense, what the offensive formation is, and what the splits of those receivers are.

Thank you for this explanation.  You are obviously very knowledgable about the X's and O's.  So based on this, what do you see as the root cause of our defensive struggles last Sunday?  I'm really interested in getting an educated, objective opinion.

5 hours ago, All_Pro_Bills said:

Firing the Safeties coach!  That should resolve all the management and coaching deficiencies in the defense, the offensive line, and a poor draft record.  Can the locker room attendants and laundry crew be far behind? 

I blame the Mexican immigrant with no green card who polishes the floors - never liked that guy.

Just now, jkeerie said:

Thank you for this explanation.  You are obviously very knowledgable about the X's and O's.  So based on this, what do you see as the root cause of our defensive struggles last Sunday?  I'm really interested in getting an educated, objective opinion.

We got out-physicalled in the trenches on both sides of the ball. That was the root of all the problems. It put us behind the sticks offensively, and put the Bengals ahead of them offensively. Secondary had some mental lapses. Edmunds played pretty terribly early on in the game. Offensively we couldn't get into any sort of rhythm. We just didn't execute. I know everyone wants some profound answer that they can point to and say "this is the issue!". Truth of the matter is we just got flat out beat.

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Incredibly informative post…honestly. I’m guessing you’ve either played or coached?

So….with all of that said, why is Kelce always wide open? 😉

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, MWK said:

Giving the DC job to a guy who can't even coach his position group seems like a terrible idea. But he's a McDermott friend from Carolina so it would be on brand. 

I'm not in favor of him being moved to DC at all, but the reasoning here is not the best imo. Simply because he can't teach technique or teaches ineffective techniques for the lineman doesn't necessarily mean he lacks the skills to manage a defense overall. 

I think the more sensible reasoning is that he likely has many of the same philosophies as Frazier and McDermott and they're not panning out. 

Personally, I think this defensive staff needs more.. friction.. amongst itself in mindset. It's been too insular and isn't adapting well to the current NFL landscape. 

Edited by Malazan

8 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

We got out-physicalled in the trenches on both sides of the ball. That was the root of all the problems. It put us behind the sticks offensively, and put the Bengals ahead of them offensively. Secondary had some mental lapses. Edmunds played pretty terribly early on in the game. Offensively we couldn't get into any sort of rhythm. We just didn't execute. I know everyone wants some profound answer that they can point to and say "this is the issue!". Truth of the matter is we just got flat out beat.

I can agree with this and that is what both McD and Beane said in their pressers.  Do you think coaching changes are warranted?

38 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

The problem isn't so much the scheme it's that it performs completely different against the SAME TEAMS in the playoffs than it does in the regular season.

Case in point. Played KC twice in the regular season and held them to 20 points both times.

Played them twice in the playoffs and they scored 38 and 42.

Why? What happened differently? Scheme doesn't make sense to me because if it was scheme, it would happen everytime you played that team.

To me it comes down to trying to play too safe during the playoffs because they are afraid to play aggressively like the do during the regular season. Safe coverages...everybody deep...no deep shots but underneath stuff is wide open. Basically he coaches to win during the season but coaches not to lose during the playoffs. Can't have that. We can't have someone who is so afraid of giving up easy TDs deep that they are willing to repeatedly give up easy TDs from longer drives where they are giving free yards up.

I think you and I are saying similar things in different ways. 

3 hours ago, JMM said:

The more I think about this,  it very likely means Frazier is back. Typically when a DC is let go, the staff is maintained until the new DC is hired and he chooses who he wants retained. So looking forward to another year of passive D led by Mr. Semi comatose. 

I don’t think it means anything other than, no matter what happens at DC, McD didn’t want Salgado around next year.  Nothing more, nothing less.  

If they are going to nuke Frazier, they probably won’t do so until after any HC position at which he might have a look is filled.  Probably the same with Dorsey.  If he’s on his way out, then it won’t happen likely until tomorrow since Carolina hired Reich only today.  

I think we know little to nothing about what went into the Delgado firing.  From my perspective, it looked like the deficiencies at the safety position had to do more with Hyde's injury and the inadequacy of the backups Buffalo tried to use to replace them.  I don't know if McDermott got feedback from the safeties on the roster that said Delgado wasn't doing his job well or McDermott's own observations as a former DB coach told him the coaching wasn't up to par.  What I'm pretty sure of is that firing Delgado is not a matter of picking a scapegoat to take a fall for the failure of the defense.  Why?  Because McDermott and Beane are not stupid.  Firing Delgado is too insignificant to move the needle at all on fan sentiment.  Haters are still going to hate and supporters will still support.

• Like (+1) 1

39 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Thanks for this. Yes I (thought I) summarized the Cover 1 position. Unlike me you obviously are schooled in the game (I played and was coached in other sports growing up) and so I wanted to challenge your comments more for the purpose of getting your reaction and learning something than for questioning your conclusions.

I may be wrong but I don't think I (completely) misunderstood the Cover 1 argument. I believe they did say that the number of post snap keys to read increased in the playoffs and that this caused players to be confused as to their assignments on the given down resulting in blown coverages. They said that this showed that Frazier did not trust his players to just play. They were critical of him.

You have also pointed out, no doubt correctly, that other teams run the same basic defence as McD and Frazier. I was inquiring of you whether this was or was not a meaningful comment. In other words do differences in implementation, modification or execution account for differences in result. Or were we just down too many important players on D either absent or limited through injury to play as well as they had earlier albeit against less talented opposition.

The reason why these questions are important is because Frazier's contract is up and a decision on him has now got to be made. So where do you stand on our DC?

1 hour ago, HoofHearted said:

Given especially that it has been something of a trend since the bye, it's really not enuf to say that we were out-physicalled or that we failed to execute. There are reasons for everything, and probably more than one reason why the Bills season progressed the way it did. Until you know what the reasons are it's hard to know what direction you should take. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.