Bills Coaching Staff Changes Thread

hellofellowbillsfans

54 minutes ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Can you imagine Arians in control of our going deep air raid offense?  

"Arians spent 2022 in a made-up job, furthering the perception that he was forced out, not that he chose to walk away. With his contract now expired, Arians can go wherever he wants. He’s officially retired. Then again, he was retired when he went to work for the Colts in 2012. He also was retired when he took the job in Tampa Bay. Although Arians has been connected to no head-coaching vacancies for 2023 (maybe he should be), Arians could serve an important role with a team that would benefit from his knowledge, experience, and expertise."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/25/bruce-arians-extremely-unhappy-with-buccaneers-firings/

Arians and Leftwich together again. 🤤

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We got immensely better on defense when Rex was replaced. I suppose that doesn’t help my anti Fraizer argument. Also when Schwartz took over we got much better. It’s not a big deal. It can help immediately 

I agree. The reality is we have good defensive players and overall a good defense. But we don’t want to just be good we need to be great to try and win a Super Bowl. Frazier is not taking us to the next level. Hes just not. In big games we dont perform. 

Other DC replacements likely come bc the defense has been horrible to begin with and/or the defense lacks talent. Thats not the case here. I think scheme is 80% of the problem. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

We got immensely better on defense when Rex was replaced. I suppose that doesn’t help my anti Fraizer argument. Also when Schwartz took over we got much better. It’s not a big deal. It can help immediately 

I'm no Wrex fan, but that's in part because his brainless twin, who had waaaaaay to much input into our defense, was canned with him. Rob Ryan has been a nightmare of a defensive liability basically everywhere he's been.

1 hour ago, eball said:

Did you watch Sunday's game?  Did you see the deep blown coverages all year?

On Sunday:  First TD -- Marlowe covers the wrong zone.  Second TD -- it looks like White covers the wrong zone.  That was my assessment.  Maybe on the second TD the safety was supposed to cover that zone; I am not sure.  However, the wide open receivers should have been covered on the 1st quarter TDs.  Blown coverages.

To me, it looked like there were blown coverages all year with wide open receivers.  It's because both Poyer and Hyde weren't out there (they don't need coaching) and the replacements were not well coached (in my opinion).

We had 4th string Ss playing. Overall, I feel bad for a guy losing his job but it doesn’t really matter because McDermott is the defensive back coach. I know we will be fine. But it seems like scapegoating imo. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

6 minutes ago, eball said:

No, he's not.  If you think McD is coaching the DBs each week I've got news for you...

I’m very confidant that he teaches his position coaches the way he wants the DBs coached.  They play the way McD wants them to play.  Not the way the S coach wants them to play. 

He may not coach them on the day to day. It his fingerprints are all over every one of our DBs 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Poyer was a 7th round draft pick and Hyde was a 5th round draft pick, and both have done very well for us.

On the other hand the Bengals have 2 2nd-round picks as their safeties

KC has a 2nd round pick and a 3rd round pick

On the third hand, the SF49ers have an UDFA and a 5th round player as their safeties

The Eagles have a 6th round pick and a 4th round player

It's probably true overall that not many 6th round draftees wind up starting anywhere on a football team

It seems like a "lock" that one of the two teams playing in the Superbowl is gonna be starting late round safeties

It seems to be a general consensus that the Bills DL (maybe any DL) critically depends upon being gap sound AND getting pressure up the middle.  That wasn't happening last Sunday for the Bills, due to the injuries the post you responded to pointed out.

I personally think that the 1TDT is of especial importance to McDermott, but I've been told I'm incorrect there by someone who ought to know more than I so 🤷‍♂️.  All I know is that Edmunds and Milano looked hella better this season with the DL keeping them clean, and Oliver was here last year but DaQuan Jones wasn't.

The Jones and Settle even , made a difference for the LBs

13 minutes ago, eball said:

No, he's not.  If you think McD is coaching the DBs each week I've got news for you...

Wait, you don’t think McDermott, who broke into the nfl as a defensive back coach and played one in college, doesn’t have a huge role in their development on this team?  Most head coaches oversee their entire team but they definitely still do work in their specialty areas. 

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

Can you imagine Arians in control of our going deep air raid offense?  

"Arians spent 2022 in a made-up job, furthering the perception that he was forced out, not that he chose to walk away. With his contract now expired, Arians can go wherever he wants. He’s officially retired. Then again, he was retired when he went to work for the Colts in 2012. He also was retired when he took the job in Tampa Bay. Although Arians has been connected to no head-coaching vacancies for 2023 (maybe he should be), Arians could serve an important role with a team that would benefit from his knowledge, experience, and expertise."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/25/bruce-arians-extremely-unhappy-with-buccaneers-firings/

mind blowing concept there NHK ! No joke from me either.

44 minutes ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

We at least have a safeties coach opening for wilks, after all he was pass game defense coordinator with the Panthers 

which appears to ne our weakness ?

1 hour ago, JMM said:

The more I think about this,  it very likely means Frazier is back. Typically when a DC is let go, the staff is maintained until the new DC is hired and he chooses who he wants retained. So looking forward to another year of passive D led by Mr. Semi comatose. 

McDermott has assembled most of the staff on offense, defense and special teams. A new coordinator might bring in an assistant or two but it’s McDermott’s staff. Look at when Daboll was hired. IIRC I think he brought in 1 coach, an assistant o line coach. Same with Dorsey. McDermott hired the new o line coach and offensive assistants (like Shula).

I don’t think this firing tells us anything about Frazier.

5 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Multiple coverage busts from the Safety position against the Bengals in addition to the very obvious lack of scheme knowledge that our depth safeties possessed cost our defense huge this year.

Well maybe the blown coverages stem from the players having to overthink their assignments. Bills basically line up defensively the same way all the time with actual coverage assumed post snap with players responsibilities determined by reading keys. The number of keys they are asked to process increases in important games against good offenses in order to scheme up the perfect defence to counter the O's playcalls. That is why you see more blown coverages in the playoffs than in the regular season. Frazier does not trust his players to just let them play. The blown coverages are sourced to mental rather than physical errors and so it's necessary to know what exactly is causing that, but the answer seems to be coaching. Other teams may employ the same general defensive strategy but this means not very much given the differences in the ways the scheme may be implemented or modified. If the Eagles meet the Bengals in the championship do you really think Gannon will give Chase a 12 yard cushion on third and three?

As a poke fan Josh has had Bohl then McDermott. 2 defensive minded coaches. The more I think about it they are a lot a like safe more conservative. Just once I'd love to see Josh with an offensive minded coach. I'd rather live with being too aggressive and losing than being too safe and losing. 

1 hour ago, bobobonators said:

I agree. The reality is we have good defensive players and overall a good defense. But we don’t want to just be good we need to be great to try and win a Super Bowl. Frazier is not taking us to the next level. Hes just not. In big games we dont perform. 

Other DC replacements likely come bc the defense has been horrible to begin with and/or the defense lacks talent. Thats not the case here. I think scheme is 80% of the problem. 

The problem isn't so much the scheme it's that it performs completely different against the SAME TEAMS in the playoffs than it does in the regular season.

Case in point. Played KC twice in the regular season and held them to 20 points both times.

Played them twice in the playoffs and they scored 38 and 42.

Why? What happened differently? Scheme doesn't make sense to me because if it was scheme, it would happen everytime you played that team.

To me it comes down to trying to play too safe during the playoffs because they are afraid to play aggressively like the do during the regular season. Safe coverages...everybody deep...no deep shots but underneath stuff is wide open. Basically he coaches to win during the season but coaches not to lose during the playoffs. Can't have that. We can't have someone who is so afraid of giving up easy TDs deep that they are willing to repeatedly give up easy TDs from longer drives where they are giving free yards up.

Edited by Big Turk

5 hours ago, JMM said:

If this isn't just the beginning then this fella is a pathetic sacrificial lamb. If Frazier is offered another contract then my confidence in this team getting to the promised land goes way way down. 

But “Statistically”……

Why hasn’t it been said to McD or McB that DESPITE the Bills defensive statistical mastery, they have BOMBED in playoff exits three straight years. 

The Staff/FO agreement proves the point that they suck as big time football coaches and a lot of players — Because they’re taking statistically superior defenses into the playoffs and completely blowing it with them. Am I talking to a brick wall here..?!

• Thank you (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I’m very confidant that he teaches his position coaches the way he wants the DBs coached.  They play the way McD wants them to play.  Not the way the S coach wants them to play. 

He may not coach them on the day to day. It his fingerprints are all over every one of our DBs 

I agree with this...but my point was that he isn't the day-to-day coach.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.