Bills Coaching Staff Changes Thread

hellofellowbillsfans

42 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

When is the last time a Major coach like DC was changed and the team did better in the next year?  takes a while to install a new system and get the correct pieces.

Good teams tweak. 

Seems many of us are still in that old thinking where we need to burn it down and rebuild.

We got immensely better on defense when Rex was replaced. I suppose that doesn’t help my anti Fraizer argument. Also when Schwartz took over we got much better. It’s not a big deal. It can help immediately 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

• BuffaloBill changed the title to Bills Coaching Staff Changes Thread

All year long I've thought our safeties were uncharacteristically being caught out of position.  While I attributed that to the Dynamic Duo being hurt, I also wondered about the coaching.  Coaches can't make guys more athletic.  But they should effectively coach guys to make the right reads and be in the right place.  That didn't seem to be happening with Salgado.  

But who knows why he was fired.  Maybe he was argumentative in meetings.  Or a disloyal back-stabber.  Or lazy.  Or a cokehead.  I really doubt that Sean fired him simply because the backups didn't perform as well as Hyde and Poyer.  But who knows - maybe he was fired unjustly.  Since none of us know what's happening behind the curtain, I think it's kind of silly to speculate or judge.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

The more I think about this,  it very likely means Frazier is back. Typically when a DC is let go, the staff is maintained until the new DC is hired and he chooses who he wants retained. So looking forward to another year of passive D led by Mr. Semi comatose. 

1 hour ago, H2o said:

Frazier is calling the plays and is responsible for the playbook. The other guys are just position coaches. 

When they were driving for the 2nd td, Sean was frantically flipping through the playcall sheets. After they scored he was down on one knee with a tablet and the sheets coaching them up. Leslie just stood there.

Sean called plays Sunday on the Bengals 3rd drive...

Source my eyes watching him do it in real time from my seats

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Can you imagine Arians in control of our going deep air raid offense?  

"Arians spent 2022 in a made-up job, furthering the perception that he was forced out, not that he chose to walk away. With his contract now expired, Arians can go wherever he wants. He’s officially retired. Then again, he was retired when he went to work for the Colts in 2012. He also was retired when he took the job in Tampa Bay. Although Arians has been connected to no head-coaching vacancies for 2023 (maybe he should be), Arians could serve an important role with a team that would benefit from his knowledge, experience, and expertise."

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/25/bruce-arians-extremely-unhappy-with-buccaneers-firings/

2 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

When they were driving for the 2nd td, Sean was frantically flipping through the playcall sheets. After they scored he was down on one knee with a tablet and the sheets coaching them up. Leslie just stood there.

I am not surprised. I'm sure the defensive philosophy is McDermotts and has nothing to do with Frazier. 

3 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Did this continue the rest of the game?

If so McDermott calling plays potentially yielded 13 pts vs Frazier 14 in two drives 

30 minutes ago, Governor said:

Denver likely has. Wade for instance. KC too.

but the same coaching tree, same defense. just a different coach.

IT tought, this cover 2 seems soft defense seems to get exposed with good teams.

37 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

what’s a poor way to have a conversation is attacking posters you disagree with.  But keep at it. 

The DL was awful—all year.  And the injury excuses are weak.  The Bengals OL was more injured and we generated NOTHING against it.   Teams ran on us at will all year, and we likely lose to MIA if their starting RB was available (really twice, MIA and GB inexplicably stopped running in those regular season games).    

But keep enjoying the status quo and early playoff exits.  What are the excuses for the last few years?  Would love to hear them. 

Eagles:  Fire SB winning HC.  Return to NFC Championship game soon thereafter.  

did they keep the same system?

Are we talking of replacing frasier with another cover 2 zone?  replace OC with another Perkins OC? or an entire different system?

but then again. Von played LB. Oliver would be way better as an end in a 3/4 than this 4/3

7 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

but the same coaching tree, same defense. just a different coach.

IT tought, this cover 2 seems soft defense seems to get exposed with good teams.

did they keep the same system?

Are we talking of replacing frasier with another cover 2 zone?  replace OC with another Perkins OC? or an entire different system?

but then again. Von played LB. Oliver would be way better as an end in a 3/4 than this 4/3

Von played Edge/DE.  He was listed as a LB so that he could have the number he wanted.

3 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Hayden Hurst TD where 3 players including Poyer ran down to the fake Chase screen which left Hurst all alone for an easy TD with Poyer trying to get back in time but failing badly.

So naturally extend poyer on a 3 year deal even tho he is in his 30s and oft injured. 

SUPEEEERRRRBOWWLLLLLL

5 minutes ago, Chris farley said:

I was just musing on the fact some of our players have played different positions in different systems. Von Played OLB when he played on 3/4 defenses in the past.

Von Miller can play nickel safety for all I care.  Just get him on the field 

Edited by Mark92

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.