We don’t Need a WR

Rebel101

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I would rather draft someone to develop behind him. We need a better slot WR. They can’t trust Shakir to be the guy. Got get someone that will get open for Josh.

Hunter Renfrow? Trade and extend? We’ll see.

Absolutely need to get Hunter Renfrow in here. That's if we can't get Cooper Kupp

1 hour ago, T master said:

I feel the same they have always looked for the BIG PLAY instead of taking what was there it looked as if Josh was doing that in the very beginning of the season but then as it went along like with the running game they would just stop .

The Bills had all the weaponry they needed this year on offense to make it to a championship but like a drag race if you have the HP in the motor but you put a bad driver in the car your going to lose .

This game Josh stood back & took way to much time looking down field & it just wasn't there in the time he had ! I would love to see the all 22 tape i bet every play there would have been someone open underneath . The Bills saw what Burrow was doing that was the exact game plan Dorsey should have been calling for Josh .

Quick underneath passes it would have helped the O line and slowed down the pass rush & more than likely opened up the run game more & 1 would think that given that Dorsey was a QB he would have saw that & made the proper adjustments or Josh just went rogue & was playing hero ball again .

If nothing else they for sure had better save this tape & learn something from it & if this situation comes up again someone needs a ass chewing at the very least !! 

I can't even think about how many times cook was wide open at the top of the screen(all season)....or Devin /Diggs or Beasley. When it came to hitting  a back in the flat, by the time Josh figures he has nothing else the play gets blown up. That absolutely should have been a big part of the game plan. They all knew the weather and footing was gonna be crap.

Speaking of which, why wouldn't they play press man and tangle Chase and Boyd up at the line. The week before they talked about how they knew Tre and Elam were good at it. Maybe just maybe that might have helped the rush a bit.

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

We need an OC who schemes plays where not all the QBs targets are 20 yards down field on 3rd n short. Our receivers are getting separation. The passes have been off, or it’s been a low % pass schemed at the worst time. This team all year hasn’t taken what the defense has gave them and continuously just tried for the big play. Dorsey and Allen=Erratic 

How about BOTH!  Football AND Housewives!  "The Housewives are on the Field!  The Housewives are on the Field!"

This has been discussed many times.  I don't think you can actually find too many plays this past season where there wasn't at least one open target underneath.

You acknowledge this yourself - "this team all year hasn't taken what the defense has gave them and has continuously just tried for the big play" means there are in fact targets "the defense is giving them" underneath.

BUT

Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie just were not good enough this year to be our #2 and #3.  And I like them both, but right now there is a significant talent gap between our #2 and #3 target guys, and the Bengals or the KC (yes, KC) #2 or Eagles #2 and #3 and I think you could make an argument for SF, though their offense is built differently enough.

Sometimes the receivers get separation, but it's later than it needs to be to work for the protection - even when the protection gives Josh some time.

Yeah, I think we need a WR upgrade.  I think we had better WR in 2021 with Sanders and a fading Beasley.  Maybe the upgrade comes from Davis taking a step in his 4th season and Shakir taking a big step between year 1 and 2, but I'd rather not 100% count on that, and if they do, having 4 top WR would not be a horrible thing.

Edited by Beck Water

We have a great #2 WR in Dawson Knox, it was unfortunate that his brother passed away but this guy imo can be another Travis Kelce when his head is back in the game. Towards the end of the season he started showing his dominance but the fact that they needed him to block more and the situation with his brother took away a solid option for us. Get this man a bunch of dedicated plays to get him open.

We need an OC who schemes plays where not all the QBs targets are 20 yards down field on 3rd n short. Our receivers are getting separation. The passes have been off, or it’s been a low % pass schemed at the worst time. This team all year hasn’t taken what the defense has gave them and continuously just tried for the big play. Dorsey and Allen=Erratic 

Season 5 No GIF by The Office

The fact they felt the need to pull Beas and Smoke out of retirement because the guys not named Diggs were underperforming certainly screams we need more talent there.

Not to say Dorsey's play design and play calling don't leave a lot to be desired, but a true WR2 we most certainly need.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Season 4 No GIF

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

The Bills/Bengals game was on NFL Network yesterday. I watched just a few minutes. The Bills are driving for the score that would’ve changed the game going into halftime. Singletary is wide open on the check down over the middle for the first down that gets them into field goal range and Josh throws it over his head by five feet. Two plays later McD punts from their side of the 50 with a minute left in the half and everyone in the country knows it’s over. 

"the country" knows...? .... naaahhh! "the world", please🙃

43 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

How about BOTH!  Football AND Housewives!  "The Housewives are on the Field!  The Housewives are on the Field!"

This has been discussed many times.  I don't think you can actually find too many plays this past season where there wasn't at least one open target underneath.

You acknowledge this yourself - "this team all year hasn't taken what the defense has gave them and has continuously just tried for the big play" means there are in fact targets "the defense is giving them" underneath.

BUT

Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie just were not good enough this year to be our #2 and #3.  And I like them both, but right now there is a significant talent gap between our #2 and #3 target guys, and the Bengals or the KC (yes, KC) #2 or Eagles #2 and #3 and I think you could make an argument for SF, though their offense is built differently enough.

Sometimes the receivers get separation, but it's later than it needs to be to work for the protection - even when the protection gives Josh some time.

Yeah, I think we need a WR upgrade.  I think we had better WR in 2021 with Sanders and a fading Beasley.  Maybe the upgrade comes from Davis taking a step in his 4th season and Shakir taking a big step between year 1 and 2, but I'd rather not 100% count on that, and if they do, having 4 top WR would not be a horrible thing.

I wouldn't even attempt to make an argument for a team that has Dabool as 1 and Ayuk as 2 ...

I do think they need to figure out why the short / intermediate passing game didn't work this year.  I agree that at times it seems like guys were getting open - were they not where Allen expected them to be, did he not trust them to catch the ball, was he not seeing them, or was he just hell bent on going down the field?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

In theory our pass-catchers should be better next year with internal improvement:

- Shakir improvement and more involvement

- Cook improvement and more involvement

- Knox growth

- Davis growth and getting his **** together (he was dropping passes he was catching his first 2 years)

- Dorsey actually using his pass-catching RBs for checkdowns and YAC

I still want a WR in the first 2 rounds. I think the WR depth should be better but we still don't have a good WR2. Diggs is turning 30 and we need to think about talent in the room in a few years. Would like to see something like this next year:

- Diggs

- Davis/Rookie WR

- Rookie WR/Davis

- Shakir

- McKenzie or Beasley

- Kumerow

With Knox, Cook and Hines, and hopefully better playcalling, that should be a solid group. But the reality is with Allen and Diggs getting paid as much as they are, we need them to carry the passing offense with a less expensive cast

Here's our offense:  

Josh drops back.  He starts running around because either (A) the passpro breaks down quickly or (B) the receivers aren't open.  Eventually Josh makes a great play - or doesn't.  It's not a sustainable offense.

A good WR would help us.   But what I really want to see is a better offensive scheme that includes a better running attack and more quick hitting passes. 

Whatever kind of offense we run would benefit from better offensive linemen.  That's the big change I hope to see.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Let’s take a look at the stats between the current playoff teams and the Bills

Philly:

AJ Brown - 11.                   1,496 yds

Devonta Smith - 7.            1,196 yds

Dallas Goedert (TE) - 3.    702 yds

Quez Watkins - 3.              354 yds

Totals: 24 TDs.                   3,748 yds

Cincy:

Ja’mar Chase - 9.    1,046 yds (12 games)

Tee Higgins - 7.        1,029 yds

Tyler Boyd - 5.          762 yds

Joe Mixon (RB) - 2.  441 yds

Totals: 23 TDs.         3,278 yds

**Hayden Hurst (TE) - very similar stat-wise this regular season to Mixon, in yards and receiving TDs- 414 yds, 2td.

SanFran:

Deebo Samuel - 2.  (13 games)     632 yds 

George Kittle (TE) - 11.                   765 yds

Brandon Aiyuk - 8.                        1,015 yds

CMC (RB) - 4.   (11 games).           464 yds

Totals: 25 TDs.                                  2,876 yds           

Kansas City

Travis Kelce (TE) - 12.                1,338 yds

Juju Smith-Schuster - 3.              933 yds

Marquez Valdez-Scantling - 2.     687 yds

Jerrick McKinnon - 9.                    512 yds 

Totals: 26 TDs                                 3,470 yds

how about us?

Buffalo

Stefon Diggs - 11.         1,429 yds

Gabe Davis - 7.                836 yds

Dawson Knox (TE) - 6.    517 yds

Isaiah McKenzie - 4.        423 yds

Totals: 28 TDs.               3,205 yds

Statistically, our guys can put points on the board, but we only beat a run-first team on their 3rd QB from the playoff teams in yards. Our stats are impressive considering I would say we have the worst line of the 5 teams compared here.

Addressing the O-line has to be priority #1, but look at a team like Cincy- they have 2 1,000 yard receivers, and Chase would be much higher if he didn’t go down for 5 weeks. In his absence Higgins and Boyd did an admirable job filling in. Imagine if Stef missed any time… we would be absolutely screwed without high-caliber depth.

Gabe statistically lines up between a 2 and a 3, and while I think he is capable of becoming a 2 he isn’t there yet. Knox had a lot to overcome the first half of the year and got much better after week 10. McKenzie has the ability to make big plays but I don’t think was schemed appropriately. That being said, there’s no way if Diggs ever got hurt we could fully rely on him to become WR2 and put up comparable stats.

We need to address WR2. Every year we need to draft one (not always at the top of the draft, mind you). We need guys who are versatile and can fill in when the poo hits the fan, otherwise we would just be Green Bay this year. Again, I agree O-line and better scheming will help, but we need a true WR2, and we need to get younger.

Edited by KingBoots8
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3

4 hours ago, Rebel101 said:

Yes we really do.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.