We don’t Need a WR

Rebel101

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You can move it around. Extend him a couple years. But you’re basically telling Gabe Davis he’s not in the future plans.

I'm all for adding a slot WR and even advocating for us to sign Greg Dortch if he's an UFA. I'm not done with Gabe but we do need to add some more weapons as to me our own viable ones for next year are Diggs, Davis (as a 2/3) and Shakir. 

4 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

If your team is bringing in retired WR’s during the season because the WR’s on the team aren’t getting the job done (outside of Diggs), then those WR’s are garbage. Davis a not a #2WR, he’s a #3/4. McKenzie is a gadget player and not a consistent slot WR. Too soon to tell on Shakir, but banking on a low round draft pick to be an instant contributor was a horrible and stupid gamble.

From what I saw, Shakir looked pretty good, but seems like they hardly ever went to him.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Jerry Jabber said:

If your team is bringing in retired WR’s during the season because the WR’s on the team aren’t getting the job done (outside of Diggs), then those WR’s are garbage. Davis a not a #2WR, he’s a #3/4. McKenzie is a gadget player and not a consistent slot WR. Too soon to tell on Shakir, but banking on a low round draft pick to be an instant contributor was a horrible and stupid gamble.

Agree. To me, bringing in those guys late was admitting they failed at WR. They bet on Davis and he didn’t step up. It was silly to not push him with competition in camp. That’s what they have preached since day one and they didn’t do it at WR this season. I can forgive them for McKenzie. Crowder was his competition and he went down early. But they need to add to the room and not with mid to late round picks. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Sheesh no

no we dont

having a wr is going to do nothing.

what would a line that gives Josh 3-4 seconds after drop back look like ?

one that can open a hole for the running backs?

oh what would that look like?

2 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Agree. To me, bringing in those guys late was admitting they failed at WR. They bet on Davis and he didn’t step up. It was silly to not push him with competition in camp. That’s what they have preached since day one and they didn’t do it at WR this season. I can forgive them for McKenzie. Crowder was his competition and he went down early. But they need to add to the room and not with mid to late round picks. 

Not forgiving for McKenzie - he was terrible and coke Beasley not playing all year then coming in and making more of an impact is a clear indication McKenzie should be gone 

• Agree 1

I'm sure this WR debate will be raging all the way through the draft.

I personally believe that even with a better OL and OC scheme the Bills still need 1 improvement in the WR corp.

Some will want a 1st round pick at WR but it seems to me it will have to be around the 3rd round pick.

Hoping that the draft falls with something like this order.  OL, S, WR, OL for the 1st 4 rounds.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

I think Beasley was the last person Allen trusted for the underneath stuff. How many times earlier this season when he tried to take the easy completion did Singletary or McKenzie or Cook or even Shakir screw it up. As several posters have mentioned upthread, Beane re-signing a broken down Brown and a broken down Beasley was an admission that they misjudged their roster in replacing the production of Beasley and Brown/Sanders. Some of that was Crowder getting injured, but his history would tell you that's inevitable.

Davis is not a possession receiver. He's consistently proven he can't catch a contested ball that hits him in the hands. They may have been low probability plays, but how many of those deep 50/50 balls to Davis SHOULD have been completed. With a true #2 receiver, no matter how bad they looked, they win the Jets game with the ball Allen uncorked after spraining his elbow. There were at least another 5-10 examples of balls just like that that Gabe dropped. Davis was fine last season as a number 3 when he had a less talented corner covering him, but he can't catch the ball in tight coverage. I wanted to punch Romo in the face when he was repeatedly going on about "Big Game Gabe" on Sunday. Watch some film from this season, asshat.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Rebel101 said:

We need an OC who schemes plays where not all the QBs targets are 20 yards down field on 3rd n short. Our receivers are getting separation. The passes have been off, or it’s been a low % pass schemed at the worst time. This team all year hasn’t taken what the defense has gave them and continuously just tried for the big play. Dorsey and Allen=Erratic 

Gabe's career catch % is 55.3%. Here's his season breakdown:

2020:  56.5%

2021:   55.6%

2022:   51.6%

That's not good enough under Daboll or Dorsey. We need a WR2 or better yet a second WR1, like the Bengals have going.

https://www.statmuse.com/nfl/ask/what-is-gabriel-davis-catch-percentage-career#:~:text=Gabe Davis has caught 55.3 percent of targets in his career.

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, ColoradoBills said:

I'm sure this WR debate will be raging all the way through the draft.

I personally believe that even with a better OL and OC scheme the Bills still need 1 improvement in the WR corp.

Some will want a 1st round pick at WR but it seems to me it will have to be around the 3rd round pick.

Hoping that the draft falls with something like this order.  OL, S, WR, OL for the 1st 4 rounds.

WR, OL, OL, S or OL, WR, OL, S. Either way, S needs to come last. Benford will step in and do well as poyer’s replacement and Hyde will be back. Too many years of high picks on d while the offense is put on hold are the reason we are in this mess to begin with. 

1 minute ago, whorlnut said:

WR, OL, OL, S or OL, WR, OL, S. Either way, S needs to come last. Benford will step in and do well as poyer’s replacement and Hyde will be back. Too many years of high picks on d while the offense is put on hold are the reason we are in this mess to begin with. 

I could live with that.  Like I said, this debate will rage all spring.

Just now, ColoradoBills said:

I could live with that.  Like I said, this debate will rage all spring.

It will. Haha. I just think the o needs to be addressed first before we look at anything on the defense. I could live with d in the third round, but with how McD can coach DBs, I think it makes more sense to take one later. 

Last year, I wanted Tariq Woolen in round 2 and breece hall in round 1 for that reason. McD is great at coaching DBs and we could wait and still get a really good one. Now…Woolen is in the mix for defensive rookie of the year and hall was running away with OROY before he got hurt. My point is…just wait on safety and trust McD to do what he does better than anyone…coach up DBs. Remember…poyer was a corner before he came here and we converted him to safety. 

• Like (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

So Josh is your guy on 4th and 2? He already made it a point he's taking too many hits. You don't list a guy that cam break arm tackles. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.