Why isn't Frazier interviewing for Head Coaching positions?

fasteddie

I know it's a rhetorical question,  but why isn't our "beloved" D coordinator being interviewed for all of these head coaching positions?

I would think that the Bills would get a clue and see that no team would want him running their organization when he totally got outcoached for the last three playoff years.

Just wondering. 🤔

• Like (+1) 6
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

I am sure it has nothing to do with his age of 63 I. A league where 3 guys have coached into their 70s.  How many 63 year old have ever been hired.  

Also could be that he is a defensive coach and most teams want an offensive coach.  also could be recency bias due to the last game.  Also maybe teams read this board and find out he is terrible.  

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just remember that Marv Levy lied about his age in 1986 when he was hired by Bills as he was already 61 and thought being >60 would hurt his chances.  Have to believe Polian knew as he and Levy worked together in Montreal in CFL and Chicago in USFL.

Ageism might be the most prevalent form of discrimination in our society today. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 5

He is old. His scheme is very old hat and not innovative (not necessarily a bad thing but also not a thing that “sells” you). He wasn’t particularly successful in Minnesota (21-32-1). And 11 of the past 12 championship game coaches and 8 of the last 8 SB coaches will have been offensive ones. Owners look at the numbers and want offensive guys.

17 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Lou Anarumo had zero interviews as well. 

Sure you can figure out why

Why? He is not that old. He has also overseen only one legit defense in his years as a DC: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/AnarLo0.htm

Edited by dave mcbride
  • Like (+1) 3

Because he is not that good. The Bills have one of the most talented defenses in the league, riddled with first round picks, especially on the DL. Yet we get no pressure on the QB and good teams and coaching scheme around us.  I just don't think Frazier is HC material. And neither is Dorsey. I don't mind if we bring in someone fresh to maximize our talents on offense and defense. I didn't think we'd miss Daboll so much, but we did. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

Lou Anarumo had zero interviews as well. 

Sure you can figure out why

This is surprising. He has done a good job. I know the 49ers DC DeMeco Ryans has turned down some interview requests. I would expect he will be getting a HC job once their season is over.

Edited by Gregg

56 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

I am sure it has nothing to do with his age of 63 I. A league where 3 guys have coached into their 70s.  How many 63 year old have ever been hired.  

Also could be that he is a defensive coach and most teams want an offensive coach.  also could be recency bias due to the last game.  Also maybe teams read this board and find out he is terrible.  

This. 

Just look at the interview requests Lou Anarumo has gotten: 🦗

The current hiring trend is to hire inexperienced hot-shot offensive minds, either from the college ranks or from the staff of hot offensive teams.  I think last year, Matt Eberflaus was the only hire from the D side, and he was over-due and had been overlooked for interviews in previous years.   (OK, Lovie Smith with the Texans, but I think they're in their own world)

Nathaniel Hackett, Mike McDaniel, Kevin O'Connell, Brian Daboll.

14 minutes ago, Gregg said:

This is surprising. He has done a good job. I know the 49ers DC DeMeco Ryans has turned down some interview requests. I would expect he will be getting a HC job once their season is over.

Who requested to interview Ryans that he turned down?

Oh, OK - turned down interviews with Colts and Arizona, accepted interviews with Broncos and Texans.  So he has interviewed.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2023/01/22/demeco-ryans-had-four-interviews-scheduled-but-he-canceled-two-of-them/

Edited by Beck Water

17 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

He is old. His scheme is very old hat and not innovative (not necessarily a bad thing but also not a thing that “sells” you). He wasn’t particularly successful in Minnesota (21-32-1). And 11 of the past 12 championship game coaches and 8 of the last 8 SB coaches will have been offensive ones. Owners look at the numbers and want offensive guys.

Why? He is not that old. He has also overseen only one legit defense in his years as a DC: https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/AnarLo0.htm

D coordinators are not favored right now as HC positions just because of the old “ continuity “ concern. 

NFL is an offensive league. Hire a D guy, and his offense performs , his offensive coordinator leaves for a HC position, and you have to start all over again with possibly new systems/schemes  etc. 

hire an offensive guy, he is guy calling plays and setting schemes etc, even if O coordinator gets hired somewhere else, scheme/ calls etc stay the same. 

That’s why very few D Coordinaters are getting interviews. Age/race/sex etc really has nothing to do with it. Nor does relative success. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

D coordinators are not favored right now as HC positions just because of the old “ continuity “ concern. 

NFL is an offensive league. Hire a D guy, and his offense performs , his offensive coordinator leaves for a HC position, and you have to start all over again with possibly new systems/schemes  etc. 

hire an offensive guy, he is guy calling plays and setting schemes etc, even if O coordinator gets hired somewhere else, scheme/ calls etc stay the same. 

That’s why very few D Coordinaters are getting interviews. Age/race/sex etc really has nothing to do with it. Nor does relative success. 

Yep.  Throw in 13 seconds and how bad the defense looked on Sunday, there’s no way Frazier is getting a head coaching job unless the Texans are looking for another guy to fire after a year.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

8 minutes ago, plenzmd1 said:

I thought you were suggesting he wasn’t getting interviews because he is old. My bad.

• Like (+1) 1

I have read that his contract is up.  If this is the case I bet McDermott either keeps him on but has more control of the Defense himself or he lets him go and McDermott becomes HC / DC.  

The first thing McDermott did when he came to Buffalo was to sign Hyde and Poyer and draft White.  His style of defense obviously puts a lot of emphasis on safeties and corners.  I have to believe he would like them to be more aggressive.  

Edited by Mark92
  • Like (+1) 1

I mean did you watch the Bengals and Dolphin games?  It’s a what have you done for me lately league, and his defense struggled against a depleted Dolphins team and then utterly embarrassed by the Bengals.  Too much focus always on recency bias in this league.  You can be great one day and a problem the next.  

2 weeks ago McD was beloved, untouchable, had some COY support growing, and now has his head being called for.  Josh Allen was a top 2 QB by most standards 2 weeks ago…now he’s suddenly the new Phillip Rivers and people turning on him.  

A lot can change in 2 weeks in the NFL

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 2

Who wants a washed up DC as their head coach. The 13 seconds debacle and the fact that he runs a soft defensive scheme. If the Bills don't move on from this guy my faith in the front office is gone. He should have been let go last year after the KC game.    

McDermott should just be de facto d coordinator/head coach. can hire a new d coordinator just for that fresh set of eyes and ears.

bring in an o coordinator with full autonomy. I don't know who that can be. A great coordinator who has shown to be a failed head coach would be nice. somebody who we know isn't going anywhere. 

I have no idea who that is or if it exists. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.