Mel Kiper is back and you won’t like it

78thealltimegreat

15 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Hey I will always have respect for Mel one of the few analysts who went to the wall for Josh….

but in his first mock draft he has the Bills taking Auburn DE Derick Hall who is actually really good….

but if the Bills don’t help Josh either on the line or at WR or even TE…this board may create a meltdown that looks like something out of the movie I Am Legend 

If he’s BPA then I’m good with it. No reason to force it.

21 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Great point. Been saying this for a while. It seems that the run on WRs are usually in the top of the 2nd round every year. In fact, one could argue the best ones are taken there. I have no faith that the game changer that we need will be there at the end of 2. If they like a guy, they need to take him at 27 or trade down into the top of 2. 

Agreed.  Looking at the NFL receiving leaders shows that many of the leaders were not 1st round picks and that the leader board is not dominated by ultra fast guys.  Not a lot of undersized guys there, either.  Now, Tyreek Hill is both fast and smaller, but he is an exception on that list.
https://www.nfl.com/stats/player-stats/category/receiving/2022/post/all/receivingreceptions/desc

I do think recent trend is more receiver being picked early - reflection on the emphasis on passing today.

Edited by OldTimer1960

14 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Jordan Addison, Quentin Johnston, Rashee Rice, Josh Downs, Zay Flower, Jalin Hyatt. I’d take any of them. 

Not sure many of these guys are top15 picks so we might be sitting in a sweet spot to have our choice of a few of them. 

Please don't get anyone named Zay, in the potential WRs list, please!! 😆

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I would hope they start some of those first rounders. Did they have a choice with the CBS this year?  They haven't drafted well. Maybe that's the reason that they don't consistently play. The plan also was not to start josh if I recall. Yes he'd be in there eventually. Cook  barely plays. Shakir doesn't get many looks. Perhaps my comment was a little dramatic but I'm from starting it. Just not happy atm. Regardless I still don't see McD utilizing offensive "playmakers" out the gate. I just don't. 

Cook was behind 2 RBs. He was somewhat of a luxury draft pick. Shakir a mid round pick.

30 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think our biggest need is on the OL, but if the next Bruce Smith is available when we pick you don't pass him up.  

At the end of R1,  he won't be.  That's the problem with drafting DEs where the Bills have.  Elite pass rushers are the hardest thing to find with the exception of QBs.  If they are,  they go top 5.  They got damn lucky getting Greg Rousseau where they did,  and he's just 'good'.  

Edited by Brandon

5 hours ago, BillMafia716ix said:

They need to build the offensive line, run the ball more and scheme better. That’s the problem with the Bills offense. Daboll had zero problems working with these weapons. They added Hynes and couldn’t even figure out a way to get him involved in the offense. That’s a coaching problem 

Also drafted a pass catching back and didn't use him in the passing game.

15 hours ago, jkeerie said:

Thank you for this.  I'm familiar with Parker Washington being a Penn State fan.  I just saw, I think a CBS sports mock that has the Bills taking O'Cyrus Torrence, G from Florida.  They mentioned him on that same broadcast in conjunction with the Senior Bowl.  Is the better depth at interior OLine or WR in this draft?

I couldn’t tell you right now.  I haven’t looked much into the OL class just yet, but what I’ve read, it’s kinda meh

6 hours ago, whorlnut said:

If Beane can trade up 2 spots for a corner that McD says “they are still trying to figure out who he is” then they can trade up for WR. That position is so critical to the success of this team, being a WR centric passing offense. They have to do right by Allen and get him a playmaker. I think Johnston and Addison would both be worth trading up for if they slip. 

Which WRs have a 1st rd grade on Beanes board.  Please enlighten us:  Look into the crystal ball and tell us which of those WRs will be available a couple picks before we select.  I’m eager to know so I don’t have to watch so much tape

• Eyeroll 1

13 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I couldn’t tell you right now.  I haven’t looked much into the OL class just yet, but what I’ve read, it’s kinda meh

Which WRs have a 1st rd grade on Beanes board.  Please enlighten us:  Look into the crystal ball and tell us which of those WRs will be available a couple picks before we select.  I’m eager to know so I don’t have to watch so much tape

Figures you would nitpick whatever I said. Read the post. My point was anything should be on the table this draft and if he has to trade up for a receiver if he likes one, then do it. Posters are saying one might not be available when we pick, And I’m saying there is the option to trade up.

21 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Figures you would nitpick whatever I said. Read the post. My point was anything should be on the table this draft and if he has to trade up for a receiver if he likes one, then do it. Posters are saying one might not be available when we pick, And I’m saying there is the option to trade up.

That was your point?  Then do a better job getting it across next time.  You said nothing of the sort.  

yeah…..my point was, there will we WRs in rd 2 that are similar to the WRs in rd 1-  the value isn’t there unless you want to go up and get Johnson…..and that will likely cost us 2-3 potential starters worth of draft picks.  

We have very few resources except draft picks. Trading them away is a scary proposition.  We need 2-3 Olineman.  1-2 WRs.  Likely need a Poyer replacement.  Maybe an edmunds replacement. Maybe a Morse replacement. Maybe an Ed replacement.  Phillips and Shaq replacements.  And we have how much cap room? But yeah, trade up. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Cook was behind 2 RBs. He was somewhat of a luxury draft pick. Shakir a mid round pick.

I understand this but im also not the only one who saw that they could have been used. Take cool for example. It's not a secret that he was open multiply times when We were tossing deep balls on 3rd and 3 type downs. For me it's more the game plan and the stubbornness to not try something else when what you're doing is not working. 

17 hours ago, Buffalo Dude said:

If DE is the best value left at that pick I wouldn’t be too upset with DE.

Our team’s sack leader is a 33 year old recovering from an ACL injury. 

But I’m guessing we go OT in round 1

Not after what beane said about brown in his review. 

I hate to say it but yea we are kind of screwed on the DL now that Miller got a bunch of money and the Bills have missed on 2 high picks basham and Epanesa. This is the problem when you draft for need and don’t know how to evaluate offensive talent. This might actually be the year a DL who is actually good is available and it also happens to be a need. In past years it just seemed like they wanted to stack young DLs because we were all set on offense and may have missed a lot of great opportunities to pick the best player that may have been on offense. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.