Mel Kiper is back and you won’t like it

78thealltimegreat

11 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

I fear no matter who they draft especially on offense, they won't play much. It's not the McBeane thing to do. 

We started the season with 2 rookie CBs.

2017 - Tre White started right away 

2018 - Josh Allen and Edmunds. Edmunds started right away.

2019 - Ed Oliver started right away

2020 - No 1st

2021 - Rousseau started right away

Once again fans create fake drama.

If they draft an interior OL I expect that player to start immediately. A WR probably gets mixed in slowly.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

There have been warning signs from the likes of Greg Cosell and Chris Simms for months about this offense. They have major offensive holes…Josh needs help. 
Their big signings to help Josh last year was Roger Saffold and Jamison Crowder on a one year deals. 

Exactly!!!  I said the same thing last year. They have mostly refused to address the offense in any way that would allow continuity or growth. Vets on one year deals are stop gaps and they need to start getting younger and  with guys on rookie deals. 

• Agree 2

46 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Exactly!!!  I said the same thing last year. They have mostly refused to address the offense in any way that would allow continuity or growth. Vets on one year deals are stop gaps and they need to start getting younger and  with guys on rookie deals. 

Beane relies heavily on Josh to make mediocre players look good including his line so he can load up on D in free agency and the draft. It’s caught up to him and has to change. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Dopey said:

Mel had him listed as an olb. They didn’t speak on the pick. Probably to replace Edmunds. That should make some here pretty happy. 

If Edmunds walks and we draft his replacement, that frees up enough cap to sign a starting caliber o-lineman. There’s more than one way to skin a cat.

I don't know why every one thinks that WR & TE are the 2 go to positions that will save the day ? O line should be a huge concern in this years draft !

Every one her moaned & complained all year that the O line SUCKED & the Bengals proved it . They have Dawkins, Brown, Bates, but given Morse history of concussions that is a huge position that if i were Beane i would be looking at other in FA or in the draft preferably in the draft because of the money .

With good scheme & QB play mediocre WR's can get it done we saw that year after year with Brady but even when the goat had people in his face he at times he looked like anything but the best so O line is my first round pick if there is "That Guy" sitting there .

But even then it's a crap shoot the Chiefs drafted a LT in the first round was suppose to be a stud & if i'm not misremembering he's no longer on the team then the Bills drafted Teller in the 5th round & he's turned in to a pro bowl guard so it's hit or miss we can only hope that we get someone motivated enough to want to be that good .

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We started the season with 2 rookie CBs.

2017 - Tre White started right away 

2018 - Josh Allen and Edmunds. Edmunds started right away.

2019 - Ed Oliver started right away

2020 - No 1st

2021 - Rousseau started right away

Once again fans create fake drama.

If they draft an interior OL I expect that player to start immediately. A WR probably gets mixed in slowly.

I would hope they start some of those first rounders. Did they have a choice with the CBS this year?  They haven't drafted well. Maybe that's the reason that they don't consistently play. The plan also was not to start josh if I recall. Yes he'd be in there eventually. Cook  barely plays. Shakir doesn't get many looks. Perhaps my comment was a little dramatic but I'm from starting it. Just not happy atm. Regardless I still don't see McD utilizing offensive "playmakers" out the gate. I just don't. 

Best player available, period. We have holes filled and have a solid divisional round talent team. We need and lack impact players who can get us to the promised land. People like Von Miller, Diggs and Allen who can change the course of the game. 

WR2, O line in particular.  

I don't believe we need a DE unless as stated he's a game changer. Our D line was not used by our DC correctly IMO and we were without Miller. Our D line is solid. Just underutilized in this scheme. 

14 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Hey I will always have respect for Mel one of the few analysts who went to the wall for Josh….

but in his first mock draft he has the Bills taking Auburn DE Derick Hall who is actually really good….

but if the Bills don’t help Josh either on the line or at WR or even TE…this board may create a meltdown that looks like something out of the movie I Am Legend 

I've been a defender of Beane since he got here. I know this is Kiper, and he is quite often wrong, but if this somehow turns out to be true, I'm done defending him.

Edited by Billz4ever

13 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Jordan Addison, Quentin Johnston, Rashee Rice, Josh Downs, Zay Flower, Jalin Hyatt. I’d take any of them. 

Not sure many of these guys are top15 picks so we might be sitting in a sweet spot to have our choice of a few of them. 

I love Downs and Flowers.  I just don't know if you take a small slot WR at pick 27.  I would love to see either in a Bills' uniform.

Addison and Johnston will both likely be gone before 27th pick, but small chance Addison makes it to the early 20s which might make a trade up semi-feasible (still, not much draft capital to play with).  Hyatt is quite a wild card - his speed means someone might nab him mid-first, but reported need for route running development could push him back from there.  Rashee Rice would seem to me to be a consolation prize at 27, but he probably goes first 10 picks of 2nd round so not a terrible reach at 27.

I'm a fan of Mel Kiper Jr., my father used to do light scouting back in the day on college players back in the early to late 80's . He used to get Mel Kiper's books of all the college players. If you actually read the books he doesn't project who a team should take or what holes they have he picks based on value, both value of the player to the value of where you're actually picking. All the major college players are ranked by coaching staffs and draft gurus, that's why so many so called gurus/experts don't get the picks right. Most gurus don't have the same rankings at all compared to the actual coaching staffs/scouts etc. so when Mel Kiper put we need a pass rusher it's because the value of the player fits the value of the pick but it could be totally different now since I haven't read anything from him since the 90's.

• Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

I love Downs and Flowers.  I just don't know if you take a small slot WR at pick 27.  I would love to see either in a Bills' uniform.

Addison and Johnston will both likely be gone before 27th pick, but small chance Addison makes it to the early 20s which might make a trade up semi-feasible (still, not much draft capital to play with).  Hyatt is quite a wild card - his speed means someone might nab him mid-first, but reported need for route running development could push him back from there.  Rashee Rice would seem to me to be a consolation prize at 27, but he probably goes first 10 picks of 2nd round so not a terrible reach at 27.

Great point. Been saying this for a while. It seems that the run on WRs are usually in the top of the 2nd round every year. In fact, one could argue the best ones are taken there. I have no faith that the game changer that we need will be there at the end of 2. If they like a guy, they need to take him at 27 or trade down into the top of 2. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.