Bills Player Rookie Playing Time in 2022 Season

Chaos

Why did Bills rookies play less in 2022 than the rookies on other teams.   

59 members have voted

1. 1. Why did Bills rookies play less in 2022 than the rookies on other teams.

• Bills vets were too good and too durable, no way to get play time
    • Bills rookies did not have enough talent to play on a good NFL team
    • Coaches did not understand how to utilize the rookies Beane drafted for them.
    • Other reason
    • The questions premise is wrong. Rookies played the right amount in 2022.

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 02/03/2023 at 06:43 AM

13 hours ago, bmur66 said:

I’ve heard it said that every rookie that is a starter costs you one game. 13-3 says they were managed well but imo the playoffs were the time for them to step up and shine.

That is old school football mentality.  Receivers and defensive backs are more ready than ever to play in the NFL day 1.  

The best players should be on the field, regardless of how long they've been in the league.  I believe that McDermott holds rookies back because he doesn't trust them, even if they have more talent than veteran players.  It may also have something to do with his loyalty to the veteran guys.  Shakir should have been playing ahead of McKenzie and Elam should have been playing ahead of Dane Jackson.  I'm a big University of Michigan fan and Jim Harbaugh did the same thing for years - freshmen rarely saw the field - and the team struggled.  The last couple of years, Harbaugh changed his philosopy and started playing a lot of the talented freshmen (Mason Graham, Colston Loveland, Will Johnson, as examples), and the team won the Big10 twice, making the college football playoff (despite crapping the bed in the playoff).  Obviously, there were other factors too, but I believe this to be one of the key reasons that Michigan has improved the last couple of seasons.  The bottom line, again, is that the best players should be playing.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, msw2112 said:

Shakir should have been playing ahead of McKenzie and Elam should have been playing ahead of Dane Jackson. 

Maybe not from the first game but probably by October. Cooke over Singletary as well.

I remember Thurman’s rookie season when Marv said he told the coaches and team to treat him like a vet. It clearly does work.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.