Should we trade Ed Oliver?

4 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I actually saw a Bears podcast where they asked about trading the #9 pick for Oliver. I know they aren't that foolish though. I'd be all for that move!

Yeah I don't see that however, here are some targets to shoot for in a trade:

Bears Rd. 2  53/61  Rd. 4. 103/133  Rd. 5 136/148  They also have 2 7ths.

Texans Rd. 3 65/73  They also have 3 6ths

Lions Rd. 2   48/55  ( which would put us ahead of the Steelers 3rd pick.) They also have 2 6ths

Since it's highly doubtful they keep Ed after this year, Now (or draft day) is the time to move him and get the greatest return. I say now. Get the ammo to get Hopkins and Patrick Queen from the Ravens. One could be had for a mid rd. pick and a conditional pick next year and the other could be had with a mid rd.

The trade for Queen being a draft day deal if LB quickly becomes slim pickins.

Something needs to happen. We at least have to get Hopkins and we can get his cap hit under 5 mil. this yr.

Edited by nosejob
  • Agree 2

On 3/23/2023 at 3:33 AM, GunnerBill said:

You shouldn't "get nothing" though if you keep Ed a year. He will get a good free agent contract and you will get a pick back. Unless of course you ruin that with a load of mid tier FAs who mean nothing.

If you "get nothing" but unload 10 mm of salary cap, hypothectically that space might be better utilized in 2023.  Is 10.7 million of cap space in 2023 more or less valuable than a third round 2024 or 2025 third round comp pick. 

• Disagree 1

6 hours ago, GreggTX said:

I actually saw a Bears podcast where they asked about trading the #9 pick for Oliver. I know they aren't that foolish though. I'd be all for that move!

We took him at #9 and at the time, he was actually rated at a high first round pick.

If 4 drafts later, the Bears would voluntarily give up the #9 pick to get him after seeing his production since being drafted, they should start mandatory drug testing of GMs.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Haha (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, Chaos said:

If you "get nothing" but unload 10 mm of salary cap, hypothectically that space might be better utilized in 2023.  Is 10.7 million of cap space in 2023 more or less valuable than a third round 2024 or 2025 third round comp pick. 

It's not $10.7 million after you factor in his replacement.

Who replaces Ed and how much does he cost? If you can get the same production from a $5 million player, you save $5 million. But I'm not sure we can.

2 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Who replaces Ed and how much does he cost? If you can get the same production from a $5 million player, you save $5 million. But I'm not sure we can.

That is exactly my question. What is optimal? If Oliver at 10.7 makes the team the best it can be with that money, then you don't trade him for nothing. If an replacement is available for $3 million and you can you 7.7 million to sign Bobby Wagner, then maybe trading Oliver for nothing would work. 

3 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Why do we need “same” production?

Id be perfectly fine if we sign Calais Campbell and then draft a guy on Day 2.  

Jones - Campbell - Settle - Benton (?)

Especially if they truly are contemplating going with Bernard at MLB.   Put big bodies in front of him. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Chaos said:

That is exactly my question. What is optimal? If Oliver at 10.7 makes the team the best it can be with that money, then you don't trade him for nothing. If an replacement is available for $3 million and you can you 7.7 million to sign Bobby Wagner, then maybe trading Oliver for nothing would work. 

If the team really likes someone in the draft they think will be there, say, in the fourth round, I can see this working — though assuming a player you like in the draft will be there when he's "value" is always a risk. 

I get that more money to spend somewhere else helps, like MLB, but the interior D-line is vital; who do you like in free agency that can reasonably do most of what Ed does at a lower cost?

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Especially if they truly are contemplating going with Bernard at MLB.   Put big bodies in front of him. 

Well, I think we need close to the same production because the QBs we struggle with can unload the ball in a hurry and inside pressure may be the best way to get to them.

How much did Campbell play DT (versus DE) recently? If he can fill in middle and do a good job for $2 million, sure. 

4 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

If the team really likes someone in the draft they think will be there, say, in the fourth round, I can see this working — though assuming a player you like in the draft will be there when he's "value" is always a risk. 

I get that more money to spend somewhere else helps, like MLB, but the interior D-line is vital; who do you like in free agency that can reasonably do most of what Ed does at a lower cost?

Well, I think we need close to the same production because the QBs we struggle with can unload the ball in a hurry and inside pressure may be the best way to get to them.

How much did Campbell play DT (versus DE) recently? If he can fill in middle and do a good job for $2 million, sure. 

Everything I’ve heard says Campbell would be a DT for us.  Im not sure what he’s done recently, except that he can still play at a decent level. 

I hear what you’re saying about quick interior pressure, but Oliver doesn’t even give us that … certainly not consistently or in big moments. 

• Agree 1

50 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Good post. Saw they are looking at the OLD MAN Calais
 If he can do what Jones and Settle did in the middle? we might be okay
Buts its a change in method for Bills
One I like though.
Immovable objects are MLB best friend :) 

43 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Everything I’ve heard says Campbell would be a DT for us.  Im not sure what he’s done recently, except that he can still play at a decent level. 

I hear what you’re saying about quick interior pressure, but Oliver doesn’t even give us that … certainly not consistently or in big moments. 

just know what the passing lanes are and when to get a hand up.
Big guys should and can do that

Edited by 3rdand12

4 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No I was disagreeing with the concept. I get it you posed it as a question. I didn't respond directly to the question because my view on that is elsewhere in the thread. 

Honestly this makes no sense to me. I don't think you answered the question anywhere of whether 10.7 million of cap space is worth more than a 2025 third round comp pick in any direct way.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.