Should we trade Ed Oliver?

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I mean Jordan Phillips is a bigger body than Ed Oliver. But there is zero doubt who is the superior run defender. It ain't Jordan. The question isn't "are there areas that the $10m can be used?" of course there are. The question is who are the guys that make the team legitimately better. Losing Ed to sign Dalton Risner does not. If you are losing Ed for a genuine offensive difference maker then it is a different conversation. 

We just have completely different opinions of Oliver it seems.  

He's not a difference maker, imo, and I'd rather bolster the OL than hope he finds himself in a contract year if everything around him goes perfectly.  

I'd rather sign a proven EDGE pass rusher like Frank Clark and then draft a big body DT on Day 2.  

I'd rather give OBJ 10M.

I'd rather send a pick out while moving Oliver to gain 5M in cap space in a Jeudy trade.  

Any of those options, and more, are more appealing than Ed Oliver at 10M. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Disagree 1

7 minutes ago, SCBills said:

We just have completely different opinions of Oliver it seems.  

He's not a difference maker, imo, and I'd rather bolster the OL than hope he finds himself in a contract year if everything around him goes perfectly.  

I'd rather sign a proven EDGE pass rusher like Frank Clark and then draft a big body DT on Day 2.  

I'd rather give OBJ 10M.

I'd rather send a pick out while moving Oliver to gain 5M in cap space in a Jeudy trade.  

Any of those options, and more, are more appealing than Ed Oliver at 10M. 

He is more of a difference maker than Dalton freaking Risner. Or Frank Clark at his age FWIW.

If we are getting Jeudy in exchange I am here for it. 

I don't think it makes any difference on OBJ. If he wants to come Ed Oliver isn't stopping them signing him. He just seems to be happy in this holding pattern. I dunno how much he wants to play again personally.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1

Denver doesn't really want to move Jeudy. Hopkins is getting up there, although would love to add him.

But what if Campbell and Sanders are gone by 27? Could we flip Ed for a 3rd rounder then trade to Balt. for Patrick Queen who looks to be a pro bowler for years to come? They signed R. Smith to 100 mil. and tagged the dummy. They have until May 1st to decide to pick up his 5th yr. They can't afford all that and Queen ain't happy.

They can pay Ford and give Queen a new contract that could keep the hit down and have the money left over for Ford. That would allow them to go all in on offense although an Edge like Isaiah Foskey at 59 would be cool.

Edited by nosejob

Just now, nosejob said:

Denver doesn't really want to move Jeudy. Hopkins is getting up there, although would love to add him.

But what if Campbell and Sanders are gone by 27? Could we flip Ed for a 3rd rounder then trade to Balt. for Patrick Queen who looks to be a pro bowler for years to come? They signed R. Smith to 100 mil. and tagged the dummy. They have until May 1st to decide to pick up his 5th yr. They can't afford all that and Queen ain't happy.

They can pay Ford and give Queen a new contract that could keep the hit down and have the money left over for Ford. That would allow them to go all in on offense.

Queen is bad.  The player and the band, there I said it, both suck.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Not quite. If you can find a difference maker on offense I am all for trading Ed. What I am not for doing is trading him for a draft pick to dump salary and then scouting about trying to find a way to use that money. If they do it as two simultaneous deals, fine. But dumping Ed's salary for a draft pick in this draft just so you can use that salary on a trade for an offensive player is a) very risky and b) still equates to selling way to low on an asset. 

The sensible play is to try and use Ed as a pawn in a deal to get your offensive piece. 

Like I said, I’m not advocating doing something on spec.  I don’t agree with your premise in (b) because I don’t know what the pick would be.  I agree with the premise in your last sentence; I think you and I maybe are speaking different languages inasmuch as I allow for a three-team scenario in which the movement of Oliver creates space/asset to be dedicated to the rostering of a different player at a different position and I’m not sure if you’re as open to that scenario. 

32 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He is more of a difference maker than Dalton freaking Risner. Or Frank Clark at his age FWIW.

If we are getting Jeudy in exchange I am here for it. 

I don't think it makes any difference on OBJ. If he wants to come Ed Oliver isn't stopping them signing him. He just seems to be happy in this holding pattern. I dunno how much he wants to play again personally.

I have that vibe from OBJ, too.  I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he never plays another down of football. 

41 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

Queen is bad.  The player and the band, there I said it, both suck.

117 Tackles   5 Sacks   1 FF   2 FR    9.5 TFL  6 PD   2 INT.  Year 3  28TH PICK RD. 1 2020   Name 1 LB in this yrs. draft that you could expect that from.....we'd be lucky to get one of the top 3 and that would have to be at 27,  not to mention this could be a draft day deal.

EDIT: My bad I just got that.

Edited by nosejob

17 minutes ago, SectionC3 said:

Like I said, I’m not advocating doing something on spec.  I don’t agree with your premise in (b) because I don’t know what the pick would be.  I agree with the premise in your last sentence; I think you and I maybe are speaking different languages inasmuch as I allow for a three-team scenario in which the movement of Oliver creates space/asset to be dedicated to the rostering of a different player at a different position and I’m not sure if you’re as open to that scenario. 

I have that vibe from OBJ, too.  I wouldn’t be the least bit surprised if he never plays another down of football. 

Ah yes, that must be why he's worked his tail off and had half the NFL teams represented to watch his workout and route running. His explosiveness off the line was  clearly apparent. 

Man what is it with fans and media?  a guy hits 30 in sports and suddenly his career is over?  Just absurd 

23 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Ah yes, that must be why he's worked his tail off and had half the NFL teams represented to watch his workout and route running. His explosiveness off the line was  clearly apparent. 

Man what is it with fans and media?  a guy hits 30 in sports and suddenly his career is over?  Just absurd 

Better put:  he may want to play football, but only for an absurd price that likely will not be met, especially now that the first wave or two of FA has passed.  

On 1/25/2023 at 7:43 PM, Floridagatorsbuffalobills said:

Anyone else think Ed Oliver could be on the trading block this off-season? I can see it happening. I think McDermott and Beane know Oliver has underperformed and want to get bigger upfront. 

They did not give him a ringing endorsement yesterday in the PC.

He’s listed at 6’1 287, and I think the defense needs that 6’2 320lb DT in the middle of the defense. 

I think they know there is going to be a lot of expectations next year and have to get agressive with their FA’s and draft picks and maybe getting rid of 1-2 players that haven’t played to the level they want. 

I’m not sure what his trade value is, probably a 3rd or 4th rounder? He has hasn’t been terrible, just think he’s not a fit as a 1 tech taking on double teams.

I just think we have to make 1-2 trades this year to make the jump our fan base and front office knows has to be made. The Rams did it two years ago, the Eagles did it this year, the 49ers did it this year, it’s time to trade draft picks for proven players. 

Imagine what AJ Brown would have done for our offense like it did to Philly’s this year.

He is definitely no Ted Washington. 

• Like (+1) 1

14 hours ago, nosejob said:

They can pay Ford and give Queen a new contract that could keep the hit down and have the money left over for Ford. That would allow them to go all in on offense although an Edge like Isaiah Foskey at 59 would be cool.

Patrick Queen avoids contact more than any MLB I have seen. He makes our departed MLB look like  Dick Butkus. He plays like a free Safety. No thanks! 

• Agree 1

7 hours ago, Locomark said:

Patrick Queen avoids contact more than any MLB I have seen. He makes our departed MLB look like  Dick Butkus. He plays like a free Safety. No thanks! 

117 TKL  5 SK 6 PD 2INT 9.5 TFL  1FF 2FR...and I'm sure I'm missing something.,,,and that's year 3. A 1st rd (no.28) pick that could possibly be had for a mid rd. pick.  I wouldn't compare him to Edmunds in no way.

14 minutes ago, nosejob said:

117 TKL  5 SK 6 PD 2INT 9.5 TFL  1FF 2FR...and I'm sure I'm missing something.,,,and that's year 3. A 1st rd (no.28) pick that could possibly be had for a mid rd. pick.  I wouldn't compare him to Edmunds in no way.

All this with "avoiding" contact. Patrick Queen is a magician.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.