Should we trade Ed Oliver?

I would be fine if we did. I really liked the pick at the time. He flashes but is inconsistent and will want big money.

As much grief as I give Edmunds, Big Ed was drafted higher and disappears more.

He is cap friendly to a team that trades for him. His $10 million is all base salary. Easy to extend and restructure.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, IndyMark said:

First, it is "...it would take too long.".  Not "to" long.  You. Are. Welcome.

Second, really?  That is the best you can do? Sad.  I did (and likely still will) appreciate your efforts on draft prospects, but that does not translate to watching pro's in a system and on a team.  You should strive to do better.  I get it. You know you are wrong and this is how you respond.  Okay.

The fact remains you have no idea how to evaluate current NFL talent in the form of IDL. Anyone with any sense has to acknowledge the very pedestrian and easily replaced level of play from "big" Ed.

Respectfully so, of course.

No.

Though you did get me on the typo. Darn it. 

Edited by GunnerBill

6 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Yes, but even in terms of depth this is weak. It's just not a very good class. There are years that are worse than others. This idea that all drafts must be somewhat equal is not true. This one isn't good. There will be fewer all pros from it, fewer 3 year plus starters from it, fewer guys who make an impact. Of course there will be good players that come out of it. But when there are fewer they are harder to find. 

The letter is necessary to pronounce the word correctly, but you guys are less bothered with that element too!

Shirley you jest.

I spell color without a u and pronounce it perfectly.

• Haha (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, ArtVandalay said:

Dude is so average it hurts. Not worth the money. If he left you would never hear about him again. 

People need to lose the drought mindset, it's sad. You don't need to cling to every mediocre player.

He’s a complete non-factor most games. 

He flashes once in awhile with a TFL.

Averaged 4-sacks for his career.

• Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Wagner said:

Anyone her about trading him for WR Hopkins?

Screenshot_20230314_062321_Gallery.jpg

Wow. I need to see verification. "Multiple picks" concerns me but let's see the details if this is indeed true

EDIT: I don't see this on Schefter's own Twitter account so it looks fake

Edited by Fan in Chicago
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Fan in Chicago said:

Wow. I need to see verification. "Multiple picks" concerns me but let's see the details if this is indeed true

EDIT: I don't see this on Schefter's own Twitter account so it looks fake

Kinda figured it would be false. 😔

On 3/10/2023 at 11:27 AM, 4merper4mer said:

At least Americans can spell “color” without trying to make it look all regal by adding unnecessary letters.

Same goes for “aluminum” the Brit’s add an extra vowel in their pronunciation to make it sound, well, more British, and historically the American pronunciation is correct, and comes directly from the British guy “back in the day” who was in on “aluminum” from the beginning…, it’s lovely to hear Brit’s say otherwise, and be wrong every time, 😁👍 

As for the slang/bastardization of the American English language, well it’s no worse than any of the any other versions of English spoken in other countries, lazy pronunciation begets different dialects over time in all languages, is what it is. 

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by Don Otreply

I still feel this should be a priority for Beane & company to open up more cap space plus i think there are other players possibly in FA that they could get just as much production out of for less money & may even be able to get another player as good in the draft for a longer period of time for less cash .

I get wanting to sign & keep your own but Oliver is just slightly above average if not a average player yes he does make the occasional sack but he's not consistent enough for the money & given his draft status he should be a player that has to be accounted for & isn't as easily taken out of the game as he is. 

Unlike letting Edmunds get away with nothing but a thanks for what they did for him they could at least get something which if anyone paid attention to what the Pats have done for years they always seemed to get something for players like Oliver & Poyer before their contracts were up weather it be because of their age or the position of the very real possibility of not being able to keep them so they would get something at least in return .

I'm pretty torn.  I can definitely see Oliver having an Edmunds-type "breakout" year in the coming season.

Part of me wishes we had traded Edmunds now - but that's only because we didn't make the SB.   But we COULD make a SB if Oliver steps up his game like that and has a great '23 season.

So on that note, I did hear Beane touch on Ed's cap hit and believe he will work it a little somehow and Oliver stays. Look at who he's played next to ( no DT1 consistently) and who his D.C. was. He's going into a contract year and with some stability next to him,( hopefully Phillips ), we should be able to expect a better year.

Unless Beane can get a trade with the Bears or Texans and pick up some good, at the top of rounds picks, I'm fine with keeping him. Just look at some of those other contracts.

I'm not happy with Settle so to me there's already a hole.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, 1st&ten said:

This has probably been mentioned before, but could Ed play DE or is he too big ?  He has quickness and he's listed at 287 lbs ---Basham is listed at 281 lbs.

He isn't long enough. Arm length has argaubly been his biggest issue inside and it is excerbated if you move him to the edge against long armed tackles. Now and again as a change up rush package, sure. Full time? Nah. It is that rather than size. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.