Should we trade Ed Oliver?

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

6 picks in this class are too many. It's crap. 

Every pick outside the first round is a crap shoot in every draft. Now I could buy the thinking that the top half of round 1 talent is weak or the round 1 talent is weak.  But rounds 2-7 who knows who pans out and doesn't. And that is pretty much every draft, every year. That's where your scouting department, strength training staff and coaching staff earn their money. 

2 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

Every pick outside the first round is a crap shoot in every draft. Now I could buy the thinking that the top half of round 1 talent is weak or the round 1 talent is weak.  But rounds 2-7 who knows who pans out and doesn't. And that is pretty much every draft, every year. That's where your scouting department, strength training staff and coaching staff earn their money. 

Yes, but even in terms of depth this is weak. It's just not a very good class. There are years that are worse than others. This idea that all drafts must be somewhat equal is not true. This one isn't good. There will be fewer all pros from it, fewer 3 year plus starters from it, fewer guys who make an impact. Of course there will be good players that come out of it. But when there are fewer they are harder to find. 

4 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

At least Americans can spell “color” without trying to make it look all regal by adding unnecessary letters.

The letter is necessary to pronounce the word correctly, but you guys are less bothered with that element too!

You could trade just about anyone on this roster minus Allen and Milano. There aren't many cornerstones here due to age, injuries, salaries, disgruntlement (lol), and just plain lack of development. 

The problem is that opening more holes isn't wise especially when they won't be getting 1st round picks in return. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Airseven said:

You could trade just about anyone on this roster minus Allen and Milano. There aren't many cornerstones here due to age, injuries, salaries, disgruntlement (lol), and just plain lack of development. 

The problem is that opening more holes isn't wise especially when they won't be getting 1st round picks in return. 

Our DL was bottom tier once Von went down with the ACL. 

There seems to me, to be zero reason to worry about creating holes on units that didn’t perform. 

Creating holes to bring in a RB, yea.. that’s not ideal.  However, creating a hole at DT, to shore up a hole on the OL or at WR, is just reallocation of assets.  

We’re going to have holes. I’d rather they be on Defense, where we can hope Von, Rousseau, Milano and (potentially) a much improved secondary can mask enough and make plays when needed. 

Not sure what it would take, but trading Oliver and paying more/trading an asset to get an elite player at DT is fine by me.   Simmons trade, Hargrave signing.

Invest heavy on Offense.  Invest in difference makers on Defense, and then depend on McDermott to be able to scheme for the weaknesses. 

59 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

DaQuan Jones wants Simmons.  Oliver ++  in a trade for Henry and Simmons could work 

Oh man...I'm not in favor of giving up any Draft picks normally...But Simmons is SO good...Trading him for Oliver would be huge! B-)

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

The only extent to which Ed's size can even begin to be blamed for him never quite consistently playing to his top potential (though he has been better than almost the entirety of this board believes) is arm length. If he was a better finisher Ed would be about to get a top of the market DT contract. And it is legit to say sometimes QBs manage to escape where if his arms were an inch or two longer they'd be down. At the point of attack he had some issues as a rookie, but has more than held his own since despite being "undersized."

Respectfully stated, you are wrong.

Let me introduce you to the concept of Physics.

If Oliver had about 25 more pounds on him, the proper proportions of course, he would be significantly harder to move.  Plus, his arm length is not the flex you thought it would be because the possibility exists that Oliver can pack on 25 pounds of weight, there is no likelihood he gains 2 inches in arm length.

In sum, Oliver is "undersized" and under performs.

• Disagree 1

Oliver is not even the best DT on this team. Too many excuses from some on this thread for his poor showing over course of last season.......i.e., he was injured, "taped up too much", blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line, if we can get a 5th or better for Oliver, Beane is in hero territory.

Oliver should be traded as the cap savings would be monumental to where we could spend on the OFF and we could plug almost anyone into his slot to equate to his 2022 play/production.

If extended, Beane should be terminated.  Why over invest in under performers, it makes no sense. He needs too many things to be perfect to perform.

We won without him and lost with him. 

35 minutes ago, IndyMark said:

Respectfully stated, you are wrong.

Let me introduce you to the concept of Physics.

If Oliver had about 25 more pounds on him, the proper proportions of course, he would be significantly harder to move.  Plus, his arm length is not the flex you thought it would be because the possibility exists that Oliver can pack on 25 pounds of weight, there is no likelihood he gains 2 inches in arm length.

In sum, Oliver is "undersized" and under performs.

Let me introduce you to the concept of football..... actually no. Would take to long. 

Disrespectfully, you are wrong.

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Let me introduce you to the concept of football..... actually no. Would take to long. 

Disrespectfully, you are wrong.

First, it is "...it would take too long.".  Not "to" long.  You. Are. Welcome.

Second, really?  That is the best you can do? Sad.  I did (and likely still will) appreciate your efforts on draft prospects, but that does not translate to watching pro's in a system and on a team.  You should strive to do better.  I get it. You know you are wrong and this is how you respond.  Okay.

The fact remains you have no idea how to evaluate current NFL talent in the form of IDL. Anyone with any sense has to acknowledge the very pedestrian and easily replaced level of play from "big" Ed.

Respectfully so, of course.

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, IndyMark said:

Oliver is not even the best DT on this team. Too many excuses from some on this thread for his poor showing over course of last season.......i.e., he was injured, "taped up too much", blah, blah, blah.

Bottom line, if we can get a 5th or better for Oliver, Beane is in hero territory.

Oliver should be traded as the cap savings would be monumental to where we could spend on the OFF and we could plug almost anyone into his slot to equate to his 2022 play/production.

If extended, Beane should be terminated.  Why over invest in under performers, it makes no sense. He needs too many things to be perfect to perform.

We won without him and lost with him. 

I would want more than a 5th. For a hat it’s not worth it

Simmons will end up being a $20 - $23M a year player.   He'd put a tremendous strain on the cap, with that said he is absolutely elite.  Top 1%.

He's a game wrecker, will get lots of pressure, TFL's and run stuffing.

I'd consider trading Oliver and a 2nd rounder for Simmons.  I don't know if they'd take that, probably would have to be maybe 2 2nd's or 1st to go along with Oliver.

I don't know why they'd consider trading him, I get freeing up cap space but he's a foundational piece.

12 minutes ago, Magox said:

Simmons will end up being a $20 - $23M a year player.   He'd put a tremendous strain on the cap, with that said he is absolutely elite.  Top 1%.

He's a game wrecker, will get lots of pressure, TFL's and run stuffing.

I'd consider trading Oliver and a 2nd rounder for Simmons.  I don't know if they'd take that, probably would have to be maybe 2 2nd's or 1st to go along with Oliver.

I don't know why they'd consider trading him, I get freeing up cap space but he's a foundational piece.

I would absolutely do that no question. Figure out the contract extension afterward. Simmons would be a foundational piece for the defensive line for years a guy you can build around.

Edited by TheBeaneBandit

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.