Should we trade Ed Oliver?

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

For cap reasons you have to sign him or trade him. I’m in the trade him camp. Re-sign Phillips and also try to sign another starting DT.

Putting on my GM cap..

Trading Oliver, re-signing Phillips to a team friendly deal and drafting a space eating DT in the middle rounds to back up Jones seems the move to me.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Putting on my GM cap..

Trading Oliver, re-signing Phillips to a team friendly deal and drafting a space eating DT in the middle rounds to back up Jones seems the move to me.  

Sounds like a plan. I would prefer a veteran that can start added to Phillips, Jones, and Settle but a 4th round big boy to develop would work.

DL has work to do, even though we’ve sunk a lot of assets into it. Need better.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

IF they could find a good package in return for him? Yes.

Do I think they could find a good package in return for him? Not likely.

The funny thing about Oliver is that he seems to be exactly what he was in college. He was a great run defender at Houston, but not a very productive pass rusher, at least on the stat sheet.

Because of his athleticism and his (arguable) mis-use at Houston, many (including myself) projected that he'd be a much better pass rusher in the NFL than he was in college. Lo and behold, four seasons in, he's pretty much still what he was at Houston: He's a plus run defender with spurts of impressive pass rush play, but not much notable statistical production. He's a good to slightly above average player, but not a difference maker. Not a game wrecker. Not a Chris Jones or a Quinnen Williams.

One need only watch the Bengals game to come to some tough conclusions about Oliver. If ever there was a game for him to take over...

As such, I don't have any reason to want the Bills to commit a big long term contract to him. If you can find a taker who will offer decent value, do it.

I saw the question on Twitter today: If the Raiders offered Hunter Renfrow straight up for Ed Oliver, would you do it? My answer, I think, is yes. 

12 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Oliver should be traded for a good starter at Guard or RT.  Surely there is someone around the league that can be had. Throw in a draft pick if needed to make it happen. 

I would consider trading Tre White 

This team needs to pour resources into the Offense.   

Ideally we find a way to significantly upgrade the Oline at LG and RT. Along with drafting a plug and play Center. 

We also badly need a dynamic threat at WR2

you were doing SO WELL till the bolded came!

If I could get a 2nd round pick for Oliver I would do it. I'd also consider some package of a 3rd and 4th as well. He's not as productive as people give him credit for. This team needs young talented cheap contracts not bloated high end cap numbers for average/above average players. 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Logic said:

IF they could find a good package in return for him? Yes.

Do I think they could find a good package in return for him? Not likely.

The funny thing about Oliver is that he seems to be exactly what he was in college. He was a great run defender at Houston, but not a very productive pass rusher, at least on the stat sheet.

Because of his athleticism and his (arguable) mis-use at Houston, many (including myself) projected that he'd be a much better pass rusher in the NFL than he was in college. Lo and behold, four seasons in, he's pretty much still what he was at Houston: He's a plus run defender with spurts of impressive pass rush play, but not much notable statistical production. He's a good to slightly above average player, but not a difference maker. Not a game wrecker. Not a Chris Jones or a Quinnen Williams.

One need only watch the Bengals game to come to some tough conclusions about Oliver. If ever there was a game for him to take over...

As such, I don't have any reason to want the Bills to commit a big long term contract to him. If you can find a taker who will offer decent value, do it.

I saw the question on Twitter today: If the Raiders offered Hunter Renfrow straight up for Ed Oliver, would you do it? My answer, I think, is yes. 

Absolutely. 

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

If we want to actually give Allen a legitimate upgrade on Offense this year and make some kind of splash in Free Agency.. It seems like trading Ed Oliver is the move.

I don't even care what we get back.. Just get the 11M cap hit off the books.  

Use that 11M on an OL piece or towards a Meyers/OBJ signing if they want to go that route.  

There is no reason Ed Oliver should be in the future plans moving forward.  We saw what Chris Jones can do to a OL, Oliver is not that.  Quinnen Williams.. Oliver is not that.  etc etc.  

We cannot keep paying above average players that do not have the ability to take over games.  .... and that should start this year.  

I'm torn on Edmunds, but Oliver has to go.  That money desperately needs to be re-allocated to the Offensive side of the ball. 

Great post!

• Like (+1) 2

Probably going to talk about this a lot this offseason but this is the second thread asking whether he should be traded.  The answer is yes, they should look to trade him.  The issue is his contract is 10.5 million dollars and in a trade the Bills assume none of that responsibility.  So what team is taking on Ed Oliver for 10.5 million dollars as a one year rental?  Further, if the team doesnt see him as a one year rental, who is giving up a draft pick, the cap hit this year, and the need to resign him to a multi year deal? 

Maybe its just the lack of results this scheme gets in the sack department, but he doesnt give you enough in the sack or TFL department to warrant that sort of commitment money wise.

• Agree 2

On 1/25/2023 at 8:43 PM, Floridagatorsbuffalobills said:

Anyone else think Ed Oliver could be on the trading block this off-season? I can see it happening. I think McDermott and Beane know Oliver has underperformed and want to get bigger upfront. 

They did not give him a ringing endorsement yesterday in the PC.

He’s listed at 6’1 287, and I think the defense needs that 6’2 320lb DT in the middle of the defense. 

I think they know there is going to be a lot of expectations next year and have to get agressive with their FA’s and draft picks and maybe getting rid of 1-2 players that haven’t played to the level they want. 

I’m not sure what his trade value is, probably a 3rd or 4th rounder? He has hasn’t been terrible, just think he’s not a fit as a 1 tech taking on double teams.

I just think we have to make 1-2 trades this year to make the jump our fan base and front office knows has to be made. The Rams did it two years ago, the Eagles did it this year, the 49ers did it this year, it’s time to trade draft picks for proven players. 

Imagine what AJ Brown would have done for our offense like it did to Philly’s this year.

Not sure, let me check the new thread.

58 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

I saw a number of fans/bloggers float the idea of the Bills trading Ed Oliver.  Oliver is due to make over $10M in his 5th season which would be off the cap if they could trade him. 

I’m guessing that the Bills probably won’t re-sign or Franchise tag him, so 2023 is likely his last season in Buffalo.

As far as compensation, I saw a 2nd and a 5th which I think would be a little high.  I’m thinking more like a 3rd and a 5th

The trade would give the Bills 2 more decent draft picks to try to add younger talent on rookie deals which would be important moving forward.  

If this is me, I would make the deal

There was a thread earlier in the year about resigning him, and I said no. 

I think he's okay. 

But at 6'1" 280 you have to be extremely disruptive in the pass game to earn that spot, and he just hasn't been the athletic mismatch that was promised. 

I just don't see any reason to hand over a 5 year, $75M dollar deal. 

• Agree 1

16 minutes ago, B-Man said:

Houston has 11 picks.

Obviously, they would not not trade any of their 2 firsts (2nd, 12th ) or second (33rd )

But in my dream world maybe the third (65) could be had ?

Dream world is Ed Oliver + 2nd + 5th for OT Tunsil  (UFA in 2024, current cap hit 35 mil = restructure and extend) 

• Like (+1) 1

I thought he was hurt.  

Beane’s comments at his presser seemed to say otherwise.  

Then he proceeded to diminish his trade value by saying we need more out of him.  

Nice work Brandon.  

I’m growing more and more convinced that he’s here to handle the cap.  That’s his forte.  Player evaluation and drafting has been atrocious since 2019 - the exception the Diggs trade.  

23 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Probably going to talk about this a lot this offseason but this is the second thread asking whether he should be traded.  The answer is yes, they should look to trade him.  The issue is his contract is 10.5 million dollars and in a trade the Bills assume none of that responsibility.  So what team is taking on Ed Oliver for 10.5 million dollars as a one year rental?  Further, if the team doesnt see him as a one year rental, who is giving up a draft pick, the cap hit this year, and the need to resign him to a multi year deal? 

Maybe its just the lack of results this scheme gets in the sack department, but he doesnt give you enough in the sack or TFL department to warrant that sort of commitment money wise.

I suspect no team with give up much for him. The numbers and his play justvdibt support it. A trade at this point will likely to be to cut losses, move on, and get at least something for him. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.