Should we trade Ed Oliver?

Would you take a 4th round pick and we retain 5 mill of his guaranteed 11 mill salary? I’d take that deal all day. Gives us $6 million to address real issues with like resigning Tremaine Edmunds. Have you seen our cap? We’re $21 mill over with none of our current free agents signed. I know the cap will go up $10-15 mill at least…but we’re screwed boys 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/buffalo-bills/cap/ 

• Disagree 2
  • Dislike 1

On 1/27/2023 at 4:35 PM, NewEra said:

I’d be good with it. Love Ed, but big decisions are on the horizon and if we can bolster our OL or Wr by trading Ed, I’m down.

I am here. Ed is a very good player. But not a great one. A player for player trade to upgrad the offense I am on board with. Trading him for day 2 or 3 picks is pointless though.

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I am here. Ed is a very good player. But not a great one. A player for player trade to upgrad the offense I am on board with. Trading him for day 2 or 3 picks is pointless though.

This is where I am at
I understand that there are people here that actually hate Oliver so much that they want to ignore his production when healthy

but there’s more to consider here I don’t want to give a non-superstar player a super star contract that doesn’t help us

If you could find a way to trade Oliver for an impact player on either side of the ball, I wouldn’t question it. I see no reason why you would trade him for a fifth round pick because he gives you more production than that.

I saw a number of fans/bloggers float the idea of the Bills trading Ed Oliver.  Oliver is due to make over $10M in his 5th season which would be off the cap if they could trade him. 

I’m guessing that the Bills probably won’t re-sign or Franchise tag him, so 2023 is likely his last season in Buffalo.

As far as compensation, I saw a 2nd and a 5th which I think would be a little high.  I’m thinking more like a 3rd and a 5th

The trade would give the Bills 2 more decent draft picks to try to add younger talent on rookie deals which would be important moving forward.  

If this is me, I would make the deal

17 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

And the horse you  rode in on. 🤨

😁

What?

19 minutes ago, BigDingus said:

Problem with Oliver is that the D is definitely better when he's out there, but he's also not as productive or dominant as we hoped. 

And unless we want to waste yet another high pick on D, not sure we're better off trading him. 

So you are comfortable making Ed Oliver one of the highest paid DT’s?  Because that’s what it will take to sign him to a second contract. 

Edited by JohnNord

3 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

What?

Ed rides a horse.  A very old insult is "f*** you, and the horse you rode in on."  Ergo, I think the Bills should keep him because of his uniqueness.  Let Beane find other tires to go kick. 😁

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

If we want to actually give Allen a legitimate upgrade on Offense this year and make some kind of splash in Free Agency.. It seems like trading Ed Oliver is the move.

I don't even care what we get back.. Just get the 11M cap hit off the books.  

Use that 11M on an OL piece or towards a Meyers/OBJ signing if they want to go that route.  

There is no reason Ed Oliver should be in the future plans moving forward.  We saw what Chris Jones can do to a OL, Oliver is not that.  Quinnen Williams.. Oliver is not that.  etc etc.  

We cannot keep paying above average players that do not have the ability to take over games.  .... and that should start this year.  

I'm torn on Edmunds, but Oliver has to go.  That money desperately needs to be re-allocated to the Offensive side of the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Oliver should be traded for a good starter at Guard or RT.  Surely there is someone around the league that can be had. Throw in a draft pick if needed to make it happen. 

I would consider trading Tre White 

This team needs to pour resources into the Offense.   

Ideally we find a way to significantly upgrade the Oline at LG and RT. Along with drafting a plug and play Center. 

We also badly need a dynamic threat at WR2

Edited by Warriorspikes51
  • Eyeroll 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.