Should we trade Ed Oliver?

No. His contract is fully guaranteed next year so might as well bring him back. He is still a solid starter even though he's underwhelming as a top 10 pick. His pectoral injury down the stretch clearly affected him. He is probably the best candidate on the roster for having a breakout season next year. I'd rather take those odds, slight as they may be, than get a meaningless 4th round pick while creating another hole on the roster.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3

2 hours ago, Floridagatorsbuffalobills said:

Anyone else think Ed Oliver could be on the trading block this off-season? I can see it happening. I think McDermott and Beane know Oliver has underperformed and want to get bigger upfront. 

They did not give him a ringing endorsement yesterday in the PC.

He’s listed at 6’1 287, and I think the defense needs that 6’2 320lb DT in the middle of the defense. 

I think they know there is going to be a lot of expectations next year and have to get agressive with their FA’s and draft picks and maybe getting rid of 1-2 players that haven’t played to the level they want. 

I’m not sure what his trade value is, probably a 3rd or 4th rounder? He has hasn’t been terrible, just think he’s not a fit as a 1 tech taking on double teams.

I just think we have to make 1-2 trades this year to make the jump our fan base and front office knows has to be made. The Rams did it two years ago, the Eagles did it this year, the 49ers did it this year, it’s time to trade draft picks for proven players. 

Imagine what AJ Brown would have done for our offense like it did to Philly’s this year.

Who is the OL you propose to get if Oliver is traded?

2 hours ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

If they get a call to trade for a good WR2 (ie: Pittman or comparable) they should listen.

In a heartbeat. Was really hoping Ed would've worked out but I think his days are numbered. He would've made a good DE on a 3-4 defense but he's too small for the pressure needed to make this stupid Tampa2 zone halfway viable.  He's just too inconsistent. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

Trade him to Houston for Nico Collins and a 3rd RD pick.  

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

No. His contract is fully guaranteed next year so might as well bring him back. He is still a solid starter even though he's underwhelming as a top 10 pick. His pectoral injury down the stretch clearly affected him. He is probably the best candidate on the roster for having a breakout season next year. I'd rather take those odds, slight as they may be, than get a meaningless 4th round pick while creating another hole on the roster.

This is probably true.  

So I’d shoot for higher then Collins.  

2 hours ago, JaCrispy said:

I would trade him and use the cap savings to get a top OL if possible…

Oliver is just average to me, so finding his replacement shouldn’t be difficult…

Not claiming anything, but I’m starting to question whether he’s average or we aren’t coaching him up / scheming to maximize his talents. 

Just now, Playoffs? said:

Not claiming anything, but I’m starting to question whether he’s average or we aren’t coaching him up / scheming to maximize his talents. 

Washington should have been fired already.  

Basham, AJ - can’t help but wonder if in a different system different D line Coach those SECOND ROUND picks are producing.  

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

I doubt he has a breakout season. We have seen him for several years now. He is what he is. (People have been saying the very same thing about AJ.) He's not worth 11 mil. He's too light in the butt and often gets pushed around at the point of attack. He's average at best. However, he's one of better DL men the Bills have. Says a lot about how inept the Bills pass rushers are. Beane has really screwed the poouch in this area. 

2 hours ago, wppete said:

I think everyone should be on the trading block except for Josh Allen and Matt Milano. They rest should be available for trade. 

I would make Milano available too actually. Everyone but Allen. It seems crazy to trade Diggs but i like the thought of Allen being forced to spread the ball around more. I mean I would only trade Diggs if we are getting like a mid round or better 1 and 3 back though at minimum.

13 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I would make Milano available too actually. Everyone but Allen. It seems crazy to trade Diggs but i like the thought of Allen being forced to spread the ball around more. I mean I would only trade Diggs if we are getting like a mid round or better 1 and 3 back though at minimum.

We have only 3 elite players on this roster. Allen, Diggs and Milano.  Anyone else is fair game.

Personally, no I wouldn't. Ed had a stretch of really elite football in the middle of the year when healthy. I do take the point that he hasn't justified top 10 pick status, that is fair, that there has been too much inconsistency - also fair. But when he was healthy this year he was one of the best guys on the field for us. 

I certainly wouldn't do it for a 3rd or 4th round pick that just isn't value for what you are giving up. And I am not sure on a 1 year $11m deal you are going to get a lot more than that back. 

I do think everything should be on the table though to improve the offensive line and if there was a player for player trade with an OL that made sense... Atlanta who need help inside for Jake Matthews or Chris Lindstorm (who is also playing on his 5th year option) is an example... then I could be onboard with it. But that is the route IMO. 

The more likely outcome is they give Ed the Tremaine treatment and he plays on the option. The comments in the presser sound very similar to what they said about Edmunds a year ago.

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Personally, no I wouldn't. Ed had a stretch of really elite football in the middle of the year when healthy. I do take the point that he hasn't justified top 10 pick status, that is fair, that there has been too much inconsistency - also fair. But when he was healthy this year he was one of the best guys on the field for us. 

I certainly wouldn't do it for a 3rd or 4th round pick that just isn't value for what you are giving up. And I am not sure on a 1 year $11m deal you are going to get a lot more than that back. 

I do think everything should be on the table though to improve the offensive line and if there was a player for player trade with an OL that made sense... Atlanta who need help inside for Jake Matthews or Chris Lindstorm (who is also playing on his 5th year option) is an example... then I could be onboard with it. But that is the route IMO. 

The more likely outcome is they give Ed the Tremaine treatment and he plays on the option. The comments in the presser sound very similar to what they said about Edmunds a year ago.

Sounds good Gooner!

I would also like you to expand that topic on O-line draftees which you opened before Christmas. I'll dig it out later.

Edited by SydneyBillsFan

6 hours ago, Floridagatorsbuffalobills said:

Anyone else think Ed Oliver could be on the trading block this off-season? I can see it happening. I think McDermott and Beane know Oliver has underperformed and want to get bigger upfront. 

They did not give him a ringing endorsement yesterday in the PC.

He’s listed at 6’1 287, and I think the defense needs that 6’2 320lb DT in the middle of the defense. 

I think they know there is going to be a lot of expectations next year and have to get agressive with their FA’s and draft picks and maybe getting rid of 1-2 players that haven’t played to the level they want. 

I’m not sure what his trade value is, probably a 3rd or 4th rounder? He has hasn’t been terrible, just think he’s not a fit as a 1 tech taking on double teams.

I just think we have to make 1-2 trades this year to make the jump our fan base and front office knows has to be made. The Rams did it two years ago, the Eagles did it this year, the 49ers did it this year, it’s time to trade draft picks for proven players. 

Imagine what AJ Brown would have done for our offense like it did to Philly’s this year.

It may be like a Marcel Dareas deal, where we take a 6th just for someone to take his contract. 

It is a very fair question to ask.

I still say no.  He is under contract. You do not have to commit long term.  He is not going to hold out.  When healthy he is a solid starter. Yes he is a bust compared to his draft spot but he is still a decent starter.  

If you trade him you immediately create another hole on the defense that would take valuable resources to fill that need to be used on offense.  That's not what the Bills need this offseason.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.