Should we trade Ed Oliver?

Anyone else think Ed Oliver could be on the trading block this off-season? I can see it happening. I think McDermott and Beane know Oliver has underperformed and want to get bigger upfront. 

They did not give him a ringing endorsement yesterday in the PC.

He’s listed at 6’1 287, and I think the defense needs that 6’2 320lb DT in the middle of the defense. 

I think they know there is going to be a lot of expectations next year and have to get agressive with their FA’s and draft picks and maybe getting rid of 1-2 players that haven’t played to the level they want. 

I’m not sure what his trade value is, probably a 3rd or 4th rounder? He has hasn’t been terrible, just think he’s not a fit as a 1 tech taking on double teams.

I just think we have to make 1-2 trades this year to make the jump our fan base and front office knows has to be made. The Rams did it two years ago, the Eagles did it this year, the 49ers did it this year, it’s time to trade draft picks for proven players. 

Imagine what AJ Brown would have done for our offense like it did to Philly’s this year.

Edited by Floridagatorsbuffalobills

It’s not a hateful idea, especially after listening to Beane in his PC. Beane went for it and between a combination of injuries and underperformance and what have you he’s finding himself in quite the  predicament with the salary cap. Oliver is ready to get paid and it looks like we can’t afford him. Great take, I’m curious on how Beane is going to handle this off season, he’s got a lot of tough decisions to make.

Edited by Tipster19
  • Like (+1) 2

Yes.  Espenesa too, for whatever you can get.  I would listen to offers on Basham too, although I imagine it would be pretty quiet on all 3 of their calls.  Time to shift the wasted DL picks onto the offense.  If you can get a 7th for that lb you took in the 3rd last year you take it.  

Edited by Gunsgoodtime
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Gunsgoodtime said:

Yes.  Espenesa too, for whatever you can get.  I would listen to offers on Basham too, although I imagine it would be pretty quiet on all 3 of they calls.  Time to shift the wasted DL picks 8nto the offense.  If you can get a 7th for that lb you took in the 3rd last year you take it.  

Spot on about Espenesa, don’t think it’s time for Basham simply because of his contract. Any of those DL that are near to a new contract needs to go, tear it down and start again but with a better strategy. None of it will be worthwhile though if they still hang on to Frazier, he’s as much of the issue as any of the players. I would of like to have Schwartz back but we’re a few weeks too late on him, Cleveland scooped him up.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Gabe Davis before Oliver I think and use the pick on a wr. I think Oliver is massively underrated though.

That's why losing Hodgins was so frustrating to me at the time and now. You had at worst a 4th receiver type depth guy that was a high level red zone threat and that would not cost much to extend after next season. Could of been the bridge to your next crop of receivers at worst and it's looking a lot like he already raised the floor well above that to being a #3 at worst.

I wouldn't trade Oliver for a 3rd though, they'll get that back in a couple of years with a comp pick and they should re-sign him imo. Players should be on the trading block though and they should do a mini rebuild. I think the decision at d cord will drive the decisions a lot based on scheme.

What's a Milano trade look like for example and would you even consider that if they shift to more of a 4-3 base d?

• Vomit 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 2

I would absolute trade Oliver. And I'm not going to say there will be no market either. There's 28 other teams out there outside of our Division...28 other Defensive Coordinators. Teams do dumb things all the time...Some teams are desperate with a ton of cap space. He won't be 26 till next December. You never know. B-)

• Disagree 2

Can we get our 9th overall pick back or whatever it was? I can't believe he was a top 10 pick. He's slightly better than your average DL in the NFL that you can get in like the 4th round. But when you consider his draft slot he's a borderline bust at this point. He will never get that label because he's a good player he's just not a top 10 type player or even close to it. If he was a 2nd or 3rd round pick I'd feel better about it but we'll never have a top 10 pick like that for a long time so it seems like a waste that we used it on him and there are whole games you forget he's even on the team

Edited by KDIGGZ
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, dave mcbride said:

No team, and I mean no team, is trading for a fully guaranteed $11 million contract. People should banish this idea from their minds.

No team would trade for him without signing him to an extension. I would imagine that's a given. Unless you can't restructure off the 5th year? Is that a rule?

I'd be for it - but it would depend what we could get. I doubt we'd get much at all for Epenesa.

I don't know if there is a way to check this, but I felt like everyone played better when Miller was in there.  It seemed like they were all making big plays - does anyone else think that? I remember feeling like our line had really come together earlier in the season.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.