Footing on Sunday

JMM

The Buffalo Bills play many of their home games towards the end of the season and into the playoffs on a half frozen snow covered playing surface. Against the Bengals in the playoffs it did appear poor footing was very one sided. It may help explain why the Bills failed executing plays properly more often then not IMO. We have all experienced slippery surfaces and know how hard even the simplest task can become when dealing with ice and snow. When I started exploring different types of cleats and how they match up with different playing surfaces and in different weather conditions. I can see how complex it is to prevent injury while achieving good traction in different conditions. I bring this subject up because even when the new stadium is completed the Bills will still be playing on an ice and snow covered playing field. I think its important the Buffalo Bills do everything they can to make sure poor traction doesn't become a deciding factor in the outcome of a football game. I'm posting a link on one of the studies I looked at that was very insightful. It showed a machine that could be used to test a cleats traction real time on the surface it would be used on. 

https://journals.plos.org/plosone/article?id=10.1371%2Fjournal.pone.0216364

Heres another recent article that shows the problem some NFL teams are having in finding a middle ground beween safety and good traction. Same culprit in Tennessee. Ice and snow

https://sports.yahoo.com/titans-ditch-natural-grass-for-artificial-turf-at-nissan-stadium-cite-injuries-player-safety-230654543.html

• Like (+1) 1

On 1/25/2023 at 6:22 PM, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

that would be beyond unbelievable if there was a disparity in cleats contributing to the difference in footing. 

It's happened a lot over the years. Announcers catch it from time to time and make a comment about it. It's usually a player or two not the whole team. 

Our field is very slippery when wet. If you don't have the correct cleats on you'll slip and slide all over. The fake blades of grass are all smooth plastic.  Little league team was practicing on the field after a light rain and the Bills told us no cleats. It was like practicing on ice. We decided to just take pictures on the field of the team and left. If you tried to slow down your feet came out from under you 

Edited by Not at the table Karlos
  • Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, BillsfaninSB said:

So are they not allowed to change cleats after the first couple of series?

I know they can’t sign a pass rusher after the 1st quarter but I assume they can change shoes. 

Exactly this. From reading this site, you’d think we were a JV high school team. “Hey, Coach we’re slipping all over the place out there on these cleats!” McD: “Wow, that too bad. I guess you’ll just have to deal with it today. We’ll try to get it worked out for next week.” LOL

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

It's happened a lot over the years. Announcers catch it from time to time and make a comment about it. It's usually a player or two not the whole team. 

Our field is very slippery when wet. If you don't have the correct cleats on you'll slip and slide all over. The fake blades of grass are all smooth plastic.  Little league team was practicing on the field after a light rain and the Bills told us no cleats. It was like practicing on ice. We decided to just take pictures on the field of the team and left. If you tried to slow down your feet came out from under you 

Cook def seemed like he had the wrong shoes on. Embarrassing to even thing our guys don’t know best how to deal with the home feild. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 1/25/2023 at 3:19 PM, SoCal Deek said:

You are not alone in this observation. It was obvious from the very first series. Basham looked like he was trying to rush the passer wearing brand new penny loafers! The head scratcher was why the staff didn’t do anything about it. 

These are the little things that can cost you a game. Like not verifying a pooch kick with 13 seconds left to failing to equip your team with the right snow cleats.  

• Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.