Footing on Sunday

JMM

Not to rehash or in any way not understanding that we were dominated on both sides of the ball. But to me it seemed like the Bengals were doing better on the snow covered field. They didn't look tentative at all. Whereas to me it looked like the Bills were absolutely tentative at times, trying not to slip and slide. It felt like the Bengals were playing on a high natural grass surface and the Bills were playing on their old horrible carpet. Is it possible they screwed this up too, not having the proper length cleats?? Did anyone else notice this or was it just we were that slow and flat?

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 20

1 hour ago, JMM said:

Not to rehash or in any way not understanding that we were dominated on both sides of the ball. But to me it seemed like the Bengals were doing better on the snow covered field. They didn't look tentative at all. Whereas to me it looked like the Bills were absolutely tentative at times, trying not to slip and slide. It felt like the Bengals were playing on a high natural grass surface and the Bills were playing on their old horrible carpet. Is it possible they screwed this up too, not having the proper length cleats?? Did anyone else notice this or was it just we were that slow and flat?

that would be beyond unbelievable if there was a disparity in cleats contributing to the difference in footing. 

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

that would be beyond unbelievable if there was a disparity in cleats contributing to the difference in footing. 

Agreed - I'd be shocked if that were true, but I guess anything is possible.

1 hour ago, JMM said:

The bengals were not running laterally , they were driving ahead on both lines.  There is no  excuse for our lack of talent at positions along the lines.  Almost every player on the o line was beaten individually that day. Lg was of course the worst along with Brown. The d line was just manhandled and the bengals schemed them into very light boxes with a nickel back facing a pulling tackle at times.   It was about athleticism and scheme and the Bengals having a well prepared offensive game plan that made our d look foolish.  There was no surprise or footing issue with Talent like epenesa , Basham , settles , having been avg at best all year and Oliver is a chronic underachieving draft pick.  
 They had a good season when Allen could mask most issues with his unicorn talent , helped at times by Diggs and a slew of role players.  Good teams now know how to stop Allen from just taking the game over, but this can be fixed with talent infusion in the wr corp and that o line has to be fixed in 2-3 areas.  That’s not footing.  But you can’t run laterally and be poorly prepared along the line.   Go watch cover 1 ‘s last YouTube video about the last game and you will see the real issues.  Best wishes !  

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

You will know this was the case when the equipment manager gets fired.

• Like (+1) 2

20 hours ago, Miyagi-Do Karate said:

They played like people that have dealt with snow for the last few months and know how to walk gingerly on the sidewalk so as not to slip. 

AND Bills were playing like players that have dealt with death.

7 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

The Miami game seems to play into this as well…. They were getting pushed around until it started to snow then they did the pushing. 

Yet... That was before their PTSD incident... 

• Like (+1) 1

A couple of things may have played into it, not just maybe having the wrong cleats. 

Anyone playing ‘banged up’ is likely going to be naturally more tentative.

Also, we have been called more of a ‘finesse’ team in the past, a style of which isn’t going to be favoured in the conditions.

Tbh, while footing issues seemed more noticeable for the Bills, they also looked flat and disjointed regardless.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Reminiscent of the 1934 NFL Championship game?

The Giants beat the undefeated Bears 30-13 by outscoring their opponents 27-0 in the fourth quarter.  Their victory was attributed to the fact that during the fourth quarter the Giants wore sneakers, giving them better traction on the frozen, icy field.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1934_NFL_Championship_Game

• Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, TheBrownBear said:

I thought the same.  Looked like we were on skates all day.  I think it's entirely possible they messed up their choice of footwear.  We heard leading up to the game that the snow wasn't supposed to stick on the field.

Hines slipped on all his kickoff returns.  Cleary the cleats selection was wrong.  I just think the days of the Bills having some advantage in bad weather is over. Regardless of wind, rain or snow. With as much as we throw and as little as we run, it's pointless to think it favors us.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.