In a 3 year period, how did we end up with so many holes on this team.

PrimeTime101

On 1/25/2023 at 4:11 PM, Mango said:

Let me start by saying that I totally understand that you cannot hit on every pick. But I think this answer is way too simplistic. We don't have too many holes because of the salary cap. We have too many holes because of. 

Singletary, Moss, Cook, Bernard, Basham, Brown, AJE, Oliver, Ford, Philips, and Elam have not provided enough impact. That is 11 of Beanes 15 total selections he has made in the top 100 of the NFL draft. 

KC had all 10 draft picks make their roster this year. That is certainly an anomaly, but ultimately that is where we are losing ground. Bad drafts and expensive FA to make up for them. When the dust settles this offseason, the Bills may very well have 1 or 2 players on their roster from the 2019 draft. Come time to extend the 2020 class we could very well be down to Tyler Bass and Gabe Davis.

While I get and somewhat agree with your point, Mango, not sure this is totally fair citing all those players as not providing enough impact. Singletary has been decent and has had some decent and consistent impact. Is he a star, no. Not even sure I want to resign him but he's delivered fairly well.

Oliver was overdrafted but not a bust. He's had games with positive impact but not consistent enough.

Cook has been looking good and Elam has had some good moments. Both are rookies. I expect both to have a positive impact in 2023.

But yes, less than good drafting explains a lot.

2 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

While I get and somewhat agree with your point, Mango, not sure this is totally fair citing all those players as not providing enough impact. Singletary has been decent and has had some decent and consistent impact. Is he a star, no. Not even sure I want to resign him but he's delivered fairly well.

Oliver was overdrafted but not a bust. He's had games with positive impact but not consistent enough.

Cook has been looking good and Elam has had some good moments. Both are rookies. I expect both to have a positive impact in 2023.

But yes, less than good drafting explains a lot.

Beanes drafts haven’t made enough impact to counteract the fact that we don’t have any cap space. 

8 minutes ago, Norcalbillsfan said:

Some bad money tied up in places that hurt us as well. It's definitely hindsight but I'd wager poyer would already be signed if we didnt pay terrible money to guys like star and Vernon butler. 

Or didn’t sign Miller after whiffing on Basham, AJE, and getting OK production out of Rousseau. 

I like Von on this team. I don’t like the investment after so many bad investments. 

1 hour ago, Bob in STL said:

I had 6 holes, not 6 new starters - and my list is not the same as yours, we do not need a DT for example.  Our RT played injured all year, and he missed most of the off season workouts.  

They can fix a few position in the draft, I admit they have challenges with the cap but they are not as bad talent wise as many “fans” say.  Every team still in the playoffs right now has a weak spot or two.  Or is an injury away from a big drop off.   

Your assessment on our defense is hilarious. Beane and McDermott building a defense to beat average teams. Yes, that was their plan.  Great insight.  That defense did great for most of the season despite a decimated backfield.  

The6 can fire the coordinators I won’t care either. 

Go pick another team if this is too much for you.  

the fact that you just made the argument personal like this, speaks volumes. I have been respectful the whole time. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Or didn’t sign Miller after whiffing on Basham, AJE, and getting OK production out of Rousseau. 

I like Von on this team. I don’t like the investment after so many bad investments. 

The Investment to von on this team 

=

The investment of Hill in Miami.

I would have rather taken that money and put it into a solid G/T to protect JA.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.