In a 3 year period, how did we end up with so many holes on this team.

PrimeTime101

1 hour ago, Nextmanup said:

This would be fantastically hilarious, if it wasn't so devastatingly depressing.

And the thing is I don’t mind taking a RB that high, but they always seem to choose the ones with the least amount of talent and speed…

They have a terrible habit of drafting for need instead BPA…

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

And the thing is I don’t mind taking a RB that high, but they always seem to choose the ones with the least amount of talent and speed…

The only way I can see fiix this is temp fix defense with age and hit a home run in the draft on offensive line and WR. we ca

On 1/25/2023 at 3:24 PM, Big Turk said:

Because that's how the salary cap and contracts work.

Doesn't seem that way for other teams 

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

If they drafted for need they wouldn't have drafted Oliver, Basham AND AJE 

"In a 3 year period, how did we end up with so many holes on this team."

In addition to many of the points brought up by others--this is what happens when you bring in FA on 1 or 2 year "prove it" contracts. They come in, prove it, then move on to the highest bidder.

Just now, Big Turk said:

Really?  How many other teams have a better record than the Bills over that period of time?  KC and that's it?

Let me put it this way: if you're going to pay your QB, you'd better be damned good at building around him, like KC is. Bengals haven't had that problem because Burrow's still on the rookie deal. We'll see what they do. But now, the Bills are going to have to pay the piper. Them stepping back is a real probability.

3 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Let me put it this way: if you're going to pay your QB, you'd better be damned good at building around him, like KC is. Bengals haven't had that problem because Burrow's still on the rookie deal. We'll see what they do. But now, the Bills are going to have to pay the piper. Them stepping back is a real probability.

Maybe, maybe not.  Let's see what the offseason holds before we make Nostradamus-like predictions.

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

A fair stance I guess. But I've got little faith. The last four drafts have been pretty underwhelming.

Got it...so we are now going from best roster in the NFL to terrible roster all in one season.  Talk about neurotic.

Edited by Big Turk

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Got it...so we are now going from best roster in the NFL to terrible roster all in one season.  Talk about neurotic.

Not terrible. Underwhelming.

But if you're honest you know they're not good enough, and now are cap hamstrung 

13 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Not terrible. Underwhelming.

But if you're honest you know they're not good enough, and now are cap hamstrung 

I'd disagree with that.  I doubt they will have to climb Mt. Everest again during the season next year, which will give them even footing with the rest of the league.

They also won their division by more games than any other team in the NFL, but nobody seemed to notice that either.

Edited by Big Turk

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

No panic here whatsoever. Just a breath of reality here. The Bills do have a lot of holes and your take mentions them. You properly admit the cap space limitations and no premium picks. That's called being handcuffed. 

Based on past drafts and acquisitions why would you have confidence that this organization will get it right? You have pounded the table for years about the oline. Three years and counting. The Oline still isn't good which has been a consistent theme for years. But heck, this is the year they will get it right despite the above mentioned circumstances. Based on this logic, I have some land to sell you if you are interested. 

When have the Bills coached up their players. Isn't that what many have said about Kormer? The Oline is going to be solid because he will coach them up. How's that working out? How have the dline guys been coached up?

The coaching staff especially the coordinators are the weak spot of the team. Dorsey and Fraizer were abused vs Cinci. Coach McD will not lead this team to the Superbowl with this supporting cast.

I agrue after next season's disappointment McD and Beane will stay aboard and blame the failure ob Dorsey and Fraizer. They will be the fall guys. 

Even with the holes are not that far away.  I have confidence because McDermott and Beane are actually good at their jobs.  You don’t string together the wins they have without being good.   If they replace their coordinators so be it.  

They can address the holes this off-season and it will be a challenge.  If it take two seasons then so be it.  

You can’t blow this up with Josh Allen in his prime.  Just retool and keep trying.  

You are panicking like this is the 1970, or 1984, or 2001 Bills.  

Edited by Bob in STL
  • Vomit 1

7 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

Sorry, this is not over-reaction Monday or Tuesday, This is reality and you poked holes in your own story.

We need.

Depth at the HB Position

A starting guard (not that we know what one looks like around here lately)

A starting RT. Ditto

a true #2 WR and not a fake want a bee. 

3 starters on offense. You following me so far? 

A Starting DT

A Starting ILB (god knows we wont have the money to pay Edmunds)

A Starting FS. Poyer likely not staying either

3 starters on Defense.

6 huge holes.

I have only touched on depth at the HB position.

OH YEA. And we start at less then 10 mil to the good at the beginning of the year. Maybe restructuring JA and adding 10-15 mil will help but we have 37 contracts going into the new football season. You can maybe argue the DT position or the LB position... but come on... our depth on both lines is sloppy at best.

This is not about over reaction... oh no no no... this is the reality of the situation.  

Then people talking about "oh we stuch a bad team with holes then why did we win 14 games" 

1. We have a dude named Josh Allen

2. Our Defense is built to beat the average at best teams but we tend to struggle with good teams... 2-3 years in a row.

This isn't over reaction. this is a dose of reality..

I had 6 holes, not 6 new starters - and my list is not the same as yours, we do not need a DT for example.  Our RT played injured all year, and he missed most of the off season workouts.  

They can fix a few position in the draft, I admit they have challenges with the cap but they are not as bad talent wise as many “fans” say.  Every team still in the playoffs right now has a weak spot or two.  Or is an injury away from a big drop off.   

Your assessment on our defense is hilarious. Beane and McDermott building a defense to beat average teams. Yes, that was their plan.  Great insight.  That defense did great for most of the season despite a decimated backfield.  

The6 can fire the coordinators I won’t care either. 

Go pick another team if this is too much for you.  

• Vomit 1

19 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

Even with the homes they are not that far away.  I have confidence because McDermott and Beane are good.  You don’t string together the wins they have without being good.   If they replace their coordinators so be it.  

They can address the holes this off-season and it will be a challenge.  If it take two seasons then so be it.  

You can’t blow this up with Josh Allen in his prime.  Just retool and keep trying.  

You are panicking like this is the 1970, or 1984, or 2001 Bills.  

Agree and disagree with several of your points

I'm not advocating a blow out scenario. I would have very much liked to see Fraizer go. Also, an upgrade at OC is something I wouldn't be against. Perhaps, that's a blowout situation in your mind? 

Beane and McD are good at building a young team and a winning culture. Where we disagree is can they proceed to the next level? They have failed on so many levels in the post season. As stated previously, they haven't even been able to advance to an AFC title game. 

Lastly, the team has continually failed to adequately upgrade both sides of the lines. Despite Beane and the Bills organization's attempts. One failure after another. You know exactly what I'm talking about. Logic tells me that they will likely have more misses than hits. 

No panic here. I'm reading the writing on the wall. Don't be surprised if the Dolphins win the division and the Bills fail to make the playoffs. The Bills are in regression mode. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Very simple, Buffalo did a great job of building a playoff team with a winning culture in the first three years of McDermott, but most of the draft picks and signings over the past three years have not done well enough to fill the void of those who left.

Buffalo invested many of their draft picks into the defensive line and those picks resulted in a deep rotation of average people.   The free agents brought in went from being players who fit the system to veterans who wanted to be mercenaries and get a quick cheap super bowl.   

There is talent (we went 13-3 after all) on this team, Buffalo just needs to make adjustments in how they have been deciding to add players and go back to what they were doing before. 

19 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Agree and disagree with several of your points

I'm not advocating a blow out scenario. I would have very much liked to see Fraizer go. Also, an upgrade at OC is something I wouldn't be against. Perhaps, that's a blowout situation in your mind? 

Beane and McD are good at building a young team and a winning culture. Where we disagree is can they proceed to the next level? They have failed on so many levels in the post season. As stated previously, they haven't even been able to advance to an AFC title game. 

Lastly, the team has continually failed to adequately upgrade both sides of the lines. Despite Beane and the Bills organization's attempts. One failure after another. You know exactly what I'm talking about. Logic tells me that they will likely have more misses than hits. 

No panic here. I'm reading the writing on the wall. Don't be surprised if the Dolphins win the division and the Bills fail to make the playoffs. The Bills are in regression mode. 

I could see a year of regression and still making the playoffs.  It could take 2 smart drafts to retool.  

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, Bob in STL said:

I could see a year of regression and still making the playoffs.  It could take 2 smart drafts to retool.  

Agree. Allen is so good and the team's core is more than good enough to make the playoffs. A playoff victory wouldn't surprise me either. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.