In a 3 year period, how did we end up with so many holes on this team.

PrimeTime101

40 minutes ago, Trogdor said:

Milano is very good and White was great, but I think Dawkins is the most overrated played on the Bills. He is so slow and gets beat by speed all the time. Question is, why does McD get credit for this draft but Beane is the one for everything else? I think he gets too much credit for player personnel and too little for the people he hires. 

Beane was not an employee of the Buffalo Bills or PSE at the time of the draft. He was working in the front office of the Carolina Panthers….That is why Beane doesn’t get credit. 

The Bills OL would be much better if Dawkins was our weakest link. I agree he can be upgraded. This isn’t a strong tackle draft, but if the Bills find a LT they love I’d be ok with kicking Dawkins inside. 

• Like (+1) 2

Extremely poor drafting.  

I'm not giving up hope on the 2022 draft.  I'm curious to see Elam, Cook, and Shakir with better coaching.  

2021, 2020, and 2019 all look generally bad.  Rousseau, Epenesa, and Basham look like complete nonfactors.  Ed Oliver was a bust for a ninth overall pick.  Cody Ford was a total bust.  Spencer Brown and Devin Singletary might turn out to be a decent third rounders.  Gabe Davis and Dawson Knox are the only good looking picks.  

2018 is the only solid looking draft.  Allen, Edmunds, Philips, Johnson, and Teller are all great picks especially for their draft positions.  

Way too much priority on the defense.  Not nearly enough for the offense in an offensive driven league.  

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Julio Hopkins said:

Extremely poor drafting.  

I'm not giving up hope on the 2022 draft.  I'm curious to see Elam, Cook, and Shakir with better coaching.  

2021, 2020, and 2019 all look generally bad.  Rousseau, Epenesa, and Basham look like complete nonfactors.  Ed Oliver was a bust for a ninth overall pick.  Cody Ford was a total bust.  Spencer Brown and Devin Singletary might turn out to be a decent third rounders.  Gabe Davis and Dawson Knox are the only good looking picks.  

2018 is the only solid looking draft.  Allen, Edmunds, Philips, Johnson, and Teller are all great picks especially for their draft positions.  

Way too much priority on the defense.  Not nearly enough for the offense in an offensive driven league.  

Yep….and when you look closer you’ll see that over that last half decade they found ONE offensive lineman. Note, O Line consumes the most players of any position on your entire roster. Result….a mess. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I really don't see a lot of holes, but I see it will be difficult to upgrade as much as needed.

RB - If Singletary leaves we have Cook, can probably find someone in the draft around 4-5 and in free agency

WR - Top 3 spot, next year Shakir should be better and maybe Davis matures more as a full time starter

C/G - Top 3 pick needed,  probably gonna look at F/A as well

CB  - Elam and Benford both showed promise, Tre will be back so will Taron and Dane

S   - Poyer gone, Hyde may be back, Hamlin probably gone -  Top 3 pick here

LB - Edmunds will likely be tagged. 

DL - bring back the crew plow Von all season

• Like (+1) 1

Let’s take a look at the Eagles holes this offseason:

1. DT (Everyone except Davis is a FA)

2. DT again

3. DE (Graham, Quinn are FA)

4. CB (Bradberry is a FA)

5. FS (Epps is a FA)

6. RG (Seumalo is a FA)

7. WR (their WRs suck outside of Smith and Brown)

Oh and they have $5m in cap space and need to pay Hurts big money in this offseason or next. This is just how it goes in the NFL.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fallser said:

Terrel Bernard...like, What the Bleep???

if i had the pick over obviously id do it differently. that said he was drafted knowing year 1 would be a redshirt. i cant say i know what the vision is, but it was at a position we def werent reaching for. there must have been SOMETHING that stuck out about him. hoping he took/takes advantage of that redshirt year, and we get to see exactly what they saw.  supposedly a smart player, and he looked explosive blitzing.

100% not defending the pick at all, but there IS a plan (could be an awful one?).  wish we had a do over, next best thing is his red shirt gave us a tool of sorts

43 minutes ago, Julio Hopkins said:

Extremely poor drafting.  

Ive seen this assumed many times in this thread. 8 sacks isnt exactly sexy, but i dont think it is anything to base analysis of a #30 overall pick on either. hes improved 2 years in a row and has been disruptive. fully expect him to continue developing, and see his potential as (hopefully) other pieces around him take shape

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Julio Hopkins said:

Extremely poor drafting.  

I keep suppressing the fact that Oliver was the 9th overall pick that year, while he’s a nice player, he’s not been a difference maker/foundational player…this years draft needs to be solid, especially since we draft 28 or whatever the heck spot we’re in…

4 minutes ago, Fallser said:

I keep suppressing the fact that Oliver was the 9th overall pick that year, while he’s a nice player, he’s not been a difference maker/foundational player…this years draft needs to be solid, especially since we draft 28 or whatever the heck spot we’re in…

he needs to hit a homerun first 3 picks.

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

They absolutely have to now. The Bills were damn lucky that Josh survived the entire season. If he gets injured…they’re toast! How does everyone think Brady is still playing at his age? It is NOT because of his diet! It’s because over the course of a season he almost never gets touched. 

The Bills need to draft a young O Line that’ll give Josh physical and salary protection for the next five years. 

What I don't get is how we all see it - and have seen it for the past 2-3 years  - but they don't.

It's irritating and perplexing beyond belief.

5 hours ago, PepeSilvia said:

Poor drafting. 

Bean has invested so much on the defense particularly the d line and has not had an ROI

While also not investing enough on the offensive line and receivers

Doesn’t help at all that Zay Jones was drafted in the 2nd round which could have been used on someone who is still on the team and not just contributing but making a difference.

The same goes for Cody Ford and Zach moss.

you can only mask drafting poorly for so long before it slaps you in the face. This isn’t a one off season fix.

Point well taken. Jones, Ford and Moss, that’s 2 2nd rders and Moss was a 3rd rder in 5 drafts that were just pissed away. I love Beane but just those 3 picks alone are proven to be mistakes. 

• Like (+1) 1

I just don’t understand why it’s hard to accept that the Bills have Brandon Beane and Sean McDemott problem.

Too many wasted high draft picks that aren’t difference makers

For a defensive minded head coach, the defense has gotten absolutely torched the past two post seasons

He’s also been out coached and out played in all 4 playoff appearances 

He’s Tony Dungy. Good enough to get you to the playoffs and win a game or two, but not good enough to beat the great teams and great coaches when it matters. 

We’re going to regret if not already regret letting Schoen and Daboll go to Giants. they got impact players in their first draft and maximized the minimal talent they have on their roster.  

Edited by PepeSilvia
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

Yep….and when you look closer you’ll see that over that last half decade they found ONE offensive lineman. Note, O Line consumes the most players of any position on your entire roster. Result….a mess. 

We roll with 5 DB’s as well, but I get your pint. 

18 minutes ago, PepeSilvia said:

We’re going to regret if not already regret letting Schoen and Daboll go to Giants. they got impact players in their first draft and maximized the minimal talent they have on their roster.  

What are the rules on interviewing?

Can we request an interview for Super GM and Senior Mega HC?

6 hours ago, Fallser said:

JA17 covered up a lot of holes for us and he was injured this year and couldn't cover all the slack that was on this team: OL a mess, secondary a mess. Epenesa, Basham, Elam and others are disappointing picks.  NFL = Not For Long...

What are you talking about? Josh got hurt vs the jets. We went 8-1 after that, before the loss to the bengals. He was throwing a bunch of red zone picks and the team still did enough to win. The bengals loss was a complete team loss, Josh included. 

8 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

1. HB. For the sake of argument, likely Singletary is going to be gone

2. Guard. say no more.

3. Tackle. no doubt.

4. WR Shakir deserves his shot as #3 next year and this WR team not getting younger.

5. DT

6. Its likely we do not pay Edmunds what he want unless he accepts a home team contract.

7. FS. I love Poyer but we need speed here.

We have a decision to make. We start the year at 4 mil to the good. Do we go all in on The O'Line or do we continue to draft aged vets to fil holes and live with what we got?

Change is needed but how do we move forward? Outside of coaching, what is your game plan? Fix one group or what?

Agree we need safety help. Found out the depth isn’t that great.  WR? Hope Davis finds his groove and expect Shakir to step up.  Could use a number 3 and change. Dawkins and Brown are our tackles, will be fine. Guard? Yeah, Saffold has to go for sure, or just be a backup.We lose Edmunds and that’s a decent hole to fix.

All in all, don’t see us having more holes than usual, or that other teams face. But those hole will be highly scrutinized based on trying to stay in the window.  The problem is the cap space and how do we stay relevant while working within the constraints of the cap? That’s the million dollar question.

Beane can restructure a few contracts and live on the edge again.  Can probably do that for a few more years, which other teams have proven that it is possible.  If you do it right, you can float for a bit.  Unless there is a down year and the cap doesn’t go up as much as planned, as it did this year.  I believe that’s what put a crimp in our cap situation.  Don’t think Beane expected the lower cap increase which can impact the next year, or two?

Edited by davefan66

6 hours ago, Mango said:

Beane was not an employee of the Buffalo Bills or PSE at the time of the draft. He was working in the front office of the Carolina Panthers….That is why Beane doesn’t get credit. 

The Bills OL would be much better if Dawkins was our weakest link. I agree he can be upgraded. This isn’t a strong tackle draft, but if the Bills find a LT they love I’d be ok with kicking Dawkins inside. 

I meant why doesn't Whaley get credit. It's like how people forget that he found Hyde and Poyer. Not a great drafter, but McD gets a lot of credit for stuff he probably didn't do, like have his team prepared. 

14 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

7. Safeties will be Hyde & Hamlin. We had drafted Hamlin and Johnson to replace Hyde and Poyer. As we found this year, Johnson aint it, but Hamlin wasnt too bad in his first year getting real reps.

I would be absolutely floored if Hamlin ever suits up again. First, he’d have to get right physicality and mentally. Then the Bills or another team would have to put him back out there and risk something else happening. I don’t know that either of those things happen and I seriously doubt both. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, BarleyNY said:

I would be absolutely floored if Hamlin ever suits up again. First, he’d have to get right physicality and mentally. Then the Bills or another team would have to put him back out there and risk something else happening. I don’t know that either of those things happen and I seriously doubt both. 

If it was such a fluky "perfect shot" and not a preexisting condition, then I could see the possibility. Especially with him being only 24 and in good shape prior.

That Premier League soccer player came back like 200 days later. Not an exact comparison, but a decent example.

Fingers crossed that it's 50/50.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.