In a 3 year period, how did we end up with so many holes on this team.

PrimeTime101

45 minutes ago, Victory Formation said:

Understandable. Bills fans have a bully mentality at times, I’ve caught the short end of it as well.

I would love to see Terry moderate a debate between Beane and McD, whose at fault here?

In my mind, I find our defenses to be completely underwhelming and that’s on Coach McDermott. Let’s not pretend like McD has no pull in who we draft. Edmunds and Oliver, those are his guys, let’s not try to bury that fact.

Edmunds and Oliver aren’t chief complaints. Rousseau, Basham, AJE, etc. as a whole unit are.

Wed be in a great spot if the talent of Oliver and Edmunds were our number one concerns. 

the core of this team at the most important positions are all locked up long term all on reasonable contracts.  i wouldn't want to cancel any of them.

the cap will continue to increase and all the other teams like cincy & kc will be in cap hell to trying to retain their core.

in cap order:

QB - josh

WR1 - diggs

EDGE- von

CB1 - tre

LT dawkins

OLB- milano

NEEDS:

better coaching, especially on defense

players: WR2 , OL, OL (all doable in 2023)

our so called window is wide open for another 4 years

1 hour ago, Process said:

Bad drafting. 

Past five years we've taken 3 RBs in the first 3 rounds. 1 is below average, 1 is terrible and gone, 1 is a situation player. 

We've taken 3 DEs in the first two rounds. 1 is average, 2 are terrible. 

Throwing away premium picks for years.

I would say that Singletary is a good RB and could be even better behind a proper run blocking OL - so I disagree with you slightly on his assessment.

The rest of your analysis is, sadly, bang on the money.

The picks used on all these guys have been wasted. Only the 3rd rounder used in the trade for Kelvin Benjamin can be considered a bigger waste IMO.

1 minute ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

Only the 3rd rounder used in the trade for Kelvin Benjamin can be considered a bigger waste

To this day that trade is still the biggest head scratcher in the Bills’ long history of head scratching moves. There was a reason it looked like McBeane were in over their heads in their first year and a half or so. 

27 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Jets draft positions:

2022 - #4, #10, #26, #36

2021 - #2, #14, #34

2019 - #3, etc...

If you want to suffer through 4 years of ineptitude and incompetence in order to get Beane those sweet top draft picks, then go for it. Totally different world picking in the Top 5 every year vs being a winning team and picking in the 20s every year.

But something tells me if this is how folks are reacting after 3 years of double-digit wins and deep playoff runs, then theyd be burning down One Bills Drive before Beane got his second draft of Top 5 picks.

I think the reality lies somewhere between the Jets and Bills draft order. Beanes reference to the Bengals feels disingenuous .

We don’t need to be in the position we are in. He doesn’t need to be fired today. But he absolutely has to be much better going forward. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

Edmunds and Oliver aren’t chief complaints. Rousseau, Basham, AJE, etc. as a whole unit are.

Wed be in a great spot if the talent of Oliver and Edmunds were our number one concerns. 

When you put that much capital into Edmunds and Oliver we should have seen a better return.

Also, as much as Beane likes to complain about cap space, maybe he should have thought twice about signing a 33 year old DE to a $120M deal? Just saying. And I hate to beat the Justin Jefferson drum but he’s been just as good as Stefon Diggs and cough cough cough J’Marr Chase. Those two moves alone free up over $30M. Just saying.

Also, Rousseau was actually a good pick, I cannot fault Beane for that move at all. Fair is fair.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Mango said:

Meh, I think that is old timey. Tennessee just hired a new GM. Teams can structure their totem pole how they wish. 

The 2017 draft was OK. 

Milano is very good and White was great, but I think Dawkins is the most overrated played on the Bills. He is so slow and gets beat by speed all the time. Question is, why does McD get credit for this draft but Beane is the one for everything else? I think he gets too much credit for player personnel and too little for the people he hires. 

The obvious problem with this team is the Offensive Line. Fix that, or at least improve it, and you fix just about everything else. The Bills have utterly ignored it in the draft! They’ve chosen instead to go dumpster diving in free agency and then pray that a new Line coach will turn lemons into lemonade. It has not worked! Year, after year, after year. Period! 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

The obvious problem with this team is the Offensive Line. Fix that, or at least improve it, and you fix just about everything else. The Bills have utterly ignored it in the draft! They’ve chosen instead to go dumpster diving in free agency and then pray that a new Line coach will turn lemons into lemonade. It has not worked! Year, after year, after year. Period! 

I would literally draft OL, WR, OL, OL with the first 4 picks. Then I'd load up on a bunch of udfa wrs. Maybe one pops?

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Blitz said:

I’m just going to focus on oline and WR and bank on if those 2 positions improve we are still a 13 win team.  

Need a healthy d line in the playoffs or you’re done.  

I went in to (most of us did) the Bengals game saying we needed to score 40 - because of the injuries not because we’re bad.  So not sure why I should be mad at them.  The coaches, yes.  You can’t put out a game plan or effort like that at home.  

I think the defense is fine. 

Oline

WR

I don't think the game had anything to do with "effort."  I assume it was just as high as always.

It was DEFINITELY about coaching.  We were badly out-coached all over the field on both sides of the ball.

Team seemed flat, lacking in emotion.  Some players said the tank was empty after the game. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Fallser said:

Terrel Bernard...like, What the Bleep???

Perfect example of the strange disconnect that (suddenly) happened this offseason between front-office and coaching staff.

At the time, I figured Sean McDermott was requesting versatility to the defense.  Bring in another body that lets us run a more conventional 4-3 on the occasion.  Either that, or he needed a future replacement for Tremaine Edmunds.  

But the defense ran more Nickel than ever last year.  And they never took Edmunds or Matt Milano off the field, so Bernard could get some development time.  There is no way he can be seen as a potential replacement for Edmunds when he hardly got any snaps.  If we don't re-sign Edmunds, we will still need to bring in another veteran.

Most likely, Bernard continues to sit the bench for at least another year.  And possible longer, considering that Milano has 4 more years on his contract, and Edmunds would probably get a 3-5 year deal.

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Let’s just say Chiefs and Bengals. Let’s not act like anyone else beats Buffalo.

We’re not beating those teams without a pass rush. Until they face them in the playoffs with a pass rush they aren’t winning.

its cheaper (and more predictable/consistent) to try and increase scoring by 5ppg, then reduce opponents scoring 5ppg

at this point we roll with what we have mostly, develop whatever is around. our resources need to be sunk into the offense almost completely. 

Edited by BillsShredder83
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

5 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

I would literally draft OL, WR, OL, OL with the first 4 picks. Then I'd load up on a bunch of udfa wrs. Maybe one pops?

They absolutely have to now. The Bills were damn lucky that Josh survived the entire season. If he gets injured…they’re toast! How does everyone think Brady is still playing at his age? It is NOT because of his diet! It’s because over the course of a season he almost never gets touched. 

The Bills need to draft a young O Line that’ll give Josh physical and salary protection for the next five years. 

• Like (+1) 1

I remember talking about how our roster is so good its tough for rookies to make the team.  Still sort of true.  We have a lot of good guys.  We just have not many impact difference makers.  They drafted and signed too many role players.  Drafted too many players of the same position to try and make sure at least one would work out and to make sure we had a 200 man dline rotation, 4 man CB rotation, and 3 man RB rotation. No focus on offensive side of the ball because Josh carried the team like superman and they thought they were one sack away from winning.

Edited by Scott7975

Just poor drafting. When you look back at the 2019, 2020 and 2021 draft classes and look at some of the players they passed on, they just whiffed in their analysis of players and identifying talent. 

For example, 2019 they wanted a D linemen and took Oliver over Christian Wilkins, Jeff Simmons, Dexter Lawrence. They just missed Josh Allen. They passed on edge guys like Brian Burns, Montez Sweat, Rashan Gary. Most of this board wanted freakin Andre Dillard. We all know what happened in round 2. Round 3 they draft Singletary two picks before Terry McLaurin. Missed out on Maxx Crosby, CJ Gardner Johnson. Took Vosean Joseph 1 pick before Dre Greenlaw. It’s poor analysis and development. Its not cherry picking. It’s a pattern of poor drafting. 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, PrimeTime101 said:

1. HB. For the sake of argument, likely Singletary is going to be gone

2. Guard. say no more.

3. Tackle. no doubt.

4. WR Shakir deserves his shot as #3 next year and this WR team not getting younger.

5. DT

6. Its likely we do not pay Edmunds what he want unless he accepts a home team contract.

7. FS. I love Poyer but we need speed here.

We have a decision to make. We start the year at 4 mil to the good. Do we go all in on The O'Line or do we continue to draft aged vets to fil holes and live with what we got?

Change is needed but how do we move forward? Outside of coaching, what is your game plan? Fix one group or what?

That happens because you can only pay so many and even the best of teams has holes, unless they are lucky and rookies or people on rookie contracts step up and fill those holes. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.