In a 3 year period, how did we end up with so many holes on this team.

PrimeTime101

Just now, Victory Formation said:

Is it the players? Or is it the coaches? What do you think? Could Edmunds or Oliver go elsewhere and suddenly become dominant? Wouldn’t surprise me personally.

I am beginning to think a mix of both... You know.. early year I did a post saying that we are not the most complete team that the eagles and jets are more of a complete team then us. Jets just without a QB. I GOT HAMMERED in that thread. And look where we are now?

8 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I 100% agree but at what point does the GM have to be held accountable for average at bast draft picks? 

Depends on the owner.  Not going to happen, but if I was Terry and looked at the current roster, draft capital failure, and total disregard for offense, I would have been holding the end of the year presser myself announcing Beane and McDermott have been released.  We thank them for what they have done in their time here

6 minutes ago, OldTimer1960 said:

Which is also affected by where in each round you are picking.  The Bills have been picking late in each round for the past several years.  That obviously has an impact on the quality of players left to choose from in each round.

Not that much. In every draft we've had over the last 5 years you can look at a team that's drafted after us and picked a superior player excluding Josh Allen.

We traded up for Edmunds who underperformed until year 5 and could have had Shaq Leonard a round later or Fred Warner 2 rounds later who have been superior since their rookie year.

We drafted Cody Ford the following year and could have had any number of superior playmakers including all pro WRs in AJ Brown and Metcalf.

Additionally we panicked after runs on players out of need. We drafted Moss as the 9th RB taken in the 3rd round, well after the value was gone. The top 6 have all been meaningful contributors and the rest have been ineffective depth. You can't do that with a 3rd round pick. Similar situation with Epenesa in a weak EDGE class in the 2nd.

• Agree 1

Just now, Gunsgoodtime said:

Depends on the owner.  Not going to happen, but if I was Terry and looked at the current roster, draft capital failure, and total disregard for offense, I would have been holding the end of the year presser myself announcing Beane and McDermott have been released.  We thank them for what they have done in their time here

bolded. 2 quick. it would look like a knee jerk reaction... I disagree

9 minutes ago, Mango said:

When he gets to the point he cannot turn it around.

The bottom started to fall out of the foundation of the team. He likely has an opportunity to hit one last draft out of the park. At which point I believe McD stays and BB hits the road if he fails. 

I believe they both hit the road after next year.  I dont think they can fix what they have done with years of poor drafting this year.  Its too much to overcome 

45 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Let’s just say Chiefs and Bengals. Let’s not act like anyone else beats Buffalo.

We’re not beating those teams without a pass rush. Until they face them in the playoffs with a pass rush they aren’t winning.

He's been throughly outclassed as a coach by more than just Cin and KC though... or worse been bafflingly unprepared multiple times a season, cost us games and seeding 

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

I am beginning to think a mix of both... You know.. early year I did a post saying that we are not the most complete team that the eagles and jets are more of a complete team then us. Jets just without a QB. I GOT HAMMERED in that thread. And look where we are now?

Understandable. Bills fans have a bully mentality at times, I’ve caught the short end of it as well.

I would love to see Terry moderate a debate between Beane and McD, whose at fault here?

In my mind, I find our defenses to be completely underwhelming and that’s on Coach McDermott. Let’s not pretend like McD has no pull in who we draft. Edmunds and Oliver, those are his guys, let’s not try to bury that fact.

1 minute ago, Victory Formation said:

Understandable. Bills fans have a bully mentality at times, I’ve caught the short end of it as well.

I would love to see Terry moderate a debate between Beane and McD, whose at fault here?

In my mind, I find our defenses to be completely underwhelming and that’s on Coach McDermott. Let’s not pretend like McD has no pull in who we draft. Edmunds and Oliver, those are his guys, let’s not try to bury that fact.

To the bolded. For all we know, this could already be happening.

McD needs to let the next DC run their own defense... Not McD's schemes. IF I am trying to save my own head, I admit my failure to my own scheme and say that "i need to reach out for a DC with his own scheme"

1 hour ago, PrimeTime101 said:

1. HB. For the sake of argument, likely Singletary is going to be gone

2. Guard. say no more.

3. Tackle. no doubt.

4. WR Shakir deserves his shot as #3 next year and this WR team not getting younger.

5. DT

6. Its likely we do not pay Edmunds what he want unless he accepts a home team contract.

7. FS. I love Poyer but we need speed here.

We have a decision to make. We start the year at 4 mil to the good. Do we go all in on The O'Line or do we continue to draft aged vets to fil holes and live with what we got?

Change is needed but how do we move forward? Outside of coaching, what is your game plan? Fix one group or what?

1. I think Singletary comes back cheap. The RB Free Agency market is loaded, and prices are coming down by the minute. And if not, I like Cook (and Hines). Cook was a draft pick, and Hines was acquired with another drafted RB. No loss there either way.

2. Definite need. Has been for 2-3 seasons. Inexcusable to not address.

3. I'm not giving up on Brown, yet.

4. Agreed, Shakir needs a chance at a promotion, AND we need to draft WR early.

5. DT. If we're bringing everyone back and Jones is healthy, I dont see too bad a hole there.

6. I think we do pay Edmunds. We'll see.

7. Safeties will be Hyde & Hamlin. We had drafted Hamlin and Johnson to replace Hyde and Poyer. As we found this year, Johnson aint it, but Hamlin wasnt too bad in his first year getting real reps.

I know we're all disappointed right now and feeling bad, and Beane certainly has his work cut out for him, but I don't see so many glaring holes that they can't be addressed.

Go all Offense in the draft (OL, OL, WR, OL,...), sign a couple guys, and let's roll.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

1. I think Singletary comes back cheap. The RB Free Agency market is loaded, and prices are coming down by the minute. And if not, I like Cook (and Hines). Cook was a draft pick, and Hines was acquired with another drafted RB. No loss there either way.

2. Definite need. Has been for 2-3 seasons. Inexcusable to not address.

3. I'm not giving up on Brown, yet.

4. Agreed, Shakir needs a chance at a promotion, AND we need to draft WR early.

5. DT. If we're bringing everyone back and Jones is healthy, I dont see too bad a hole there.

6. I think we do pay Edmunds. We'll see.

7. Safeties will be Hyde & Hamlin. We had drafted Hamlin and Johnson to replace Hyde and Poyer. As we found this year, Johnson aint it, but Hamlin wasnt too bad in his first year getting real reps.

I know we're all disappointed right now and feeling bad, and Beane certainly has his work cut out for him, but I don't see so many glaring holes that they can't be addressed.

Go all Offense in the draft (OL, OL, WR, OL,...), sign a couple guys, and let's roll.

OL, WR, OL, OL in that order in the draft? I think OL should be priority #1 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, PrimeTime101 said:

To the bolded. For all we know, this could already be happening.

McD needs to let the next DC run their own defense... Not McD's schemes. IF I am trying to save my own head, I admit my failure to my own scheme and say that "i need to reach out for a DC with his own scheme"

That’s his forte though. McD is from a defensive background, I find it hard not to assume that McD is not at fault here, his defenses are trash. Why keep him around? Why not hire a HC from an offensive background to work with Josh? First it was 13 seconds and then we get blown out by the Bengals, let’s not try to pretend like our defense is the Steel Curtain or Legion of Boom here.

• Like (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, BullBuchanan said:

The problem with the way the NFL and sports fans use the term "analytics" is that they mostly focus on aggregate scores that show everything is great and don't take into consideration specific situational outcomes that would indicate why this team comes up small in big situations - this would be referred to as "insights". Why is that? Because it's a lot harder to do the latter. You need to know the questions to ask and you need to understand domain knowledge enough to make use of it. Without it, you might as well go by "the eye test".

You mean why they lose to the Chiefs and Bengals in the playoffs. 

The eye test tells me the DL sucks vs the Chiefs and Bengals in the playoffs. OL a close 2nd. We lose the battle up front.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

2 minutes ago, Fallser said:

Holes?  Here ya go feast on this mediocrity from the past 5 years.  Obviously Josh was a hit and Tre is great but there's a TON of "meh" in here...

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/buf/draft.htm

1 minute ago, McBean said:

Bad drafting.

you guys are the third and Fourth that agree with me in this thread.. maybe more... Do you have confidence that Beane can fix it on one solid year?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.