In a 3 year period, how did we end up with so many holes on this team.

PrimeTime101

18 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Its what happens when draft picks dont pan out. 

Exactly.  Terrible drafting and roster management is why we are where we are with so many holes this year.  The haven't fixed the Oline in 6 years.  Lack of WR focus has been awful, all the wasted picks on Defense, especially the DL has been failures

20 minutes ago, Process said:

Bad drafting. 

Past five years we've taken 3 RBs in the first 3 rounds. 1 is below average, 1 is terrible and gone, 1 is a situation player. 

We've taken 3 DEs in the first two rounds. 1 is average, 2 are terrible. 

Throwing away premium picks for years.

It catches up after some point.  We are at that point.  They have screwed up too many years now to fix it this season imo

We really don't have THAT many holes. We need a solid number 2 receiver and an upgraded o line. The defense will be back to full strength next year. I believe tre will be back to form and I assume elam will only improve. Hoping we can resign Edmunds at a reasonable price 

30 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Its what happens when draft picks dont pan out. 

Which is also affected by where in each round you are picking.  The Bills have been picking late in each round for the past several years.  That obviously has an impact on the quality of players left to choose from in each round.

• Disagree 1

23 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The defense was considered one of the best analytically. There’s a lot of overreacting that happens when you lose in the playoffs, especially when you don’t show up.

It was the first season under McDermott real injuries happened. They still got back to the point they were last year. 

The problem with the way the NFL and sports fans use the term "analytics" is that they mostly focus on aggregate scores that show everything is great and don't take into consideration specific situational outcomes that would indicate why this team comes up small in big situations - this would be referred to as "insights". Why is that? Because it's a lot harder to do the latter. You need to know the questions to ask and you need to understand domain knowledge enough to make use of it. Without it, you might as well go by "the eye test".

39 minutes ago, Process said:

Bad drafting. 

Past five years we've taken 3 RBs in the first 3 rounds. 1 is below average, 1 is terrible and gone, 1 is a situation player. 

We've taken 3 DEs in the first two rounds. 1 is average, 2 are terrible. 

Throwing away premium picks for years.

Basham hasn't been terrible

imo he's been the most consistent performer in the playoffs on dline

35 minutes ago, PepeSilvia said:

Poor drafting. 

Bean has invested so much on the defense particularly the d line and has not had an ROI

While also not investing enough on the offensive line and receivers

Doesn’t help at all that Zay Jones was drafted in the 2nd round which could have been used on someone who is still on the team and not just contributing but making a difference.

The same goes for Cody Ford and Zach moss.

you can only mask drafting poorly for so long before it slaps you in the face. This isn’t a one off season fix.

Zay would have been gone, WR 2's don't get 2nd contracts normally

Edited by Big Turk

46 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Because that's how the salary cap and contracts work.

Let me start by saying that I totally understand that you cannot hit on every pick. But I think this answer is way too simplistic. We don't have too many holes because of the salary cap. We have too many holes because of. 

Singletary, Moss, Cook, Bernard, Basham, Brown, AJE, Oliver, Ford, Philips, and Elam have not provided enough impact. That is 11 of Beanes 15 total selections he has made in the top 100 of the NFL draft. 

KC had all 10 draft picks make their roster this year. That is certainly an anomaly, but ultimately that is where we are losing ground. Bad drafts and expensive FA to make up for them. When the dust settles this offseason, the Bills may very well have 1 or 2 players on their roster from the 2019 draft. Come time to extend the 2020 class we could very well be down to Tyler Bass and Gabe Davis.

Edited by Mango
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

1 minute ago, Mango said:

Let me start by saying that I totally understand that you cannot hit on every pick. But I think this answer is way too simplistic. We don't have too many holes because of the salary cap. We have too many holes because of. 

Singletary, Moss, Cook, Bernard, Basham, Brown, AJE, Oliver, Ford, Philips, and Elam have not provided enough impact. That is 11 of Beanes 15 total selections he has made in the top 100 of the NFL draft. 

KC had all 10 draft picks make their roster this year. That is certainly an anomaly, but ultimately that is where we are losing ground. Bad drafts and expensive FA to make up for them. When the dust settles this offseason, the Bills may very well have 1 or 2 players on their roster from the 2019 draft. 

I 100% agree but at what point does the GM have to be held accountable for average at bast draft picks? 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I 100% agree but at what point does the GM have to be held accountable for average at bast draft picks? 

When he gets to the point he cannot turn it around.

The bottom started to fall out of the foundation of the team. He likely has an opportunity to hit one last draft out of the park. At which point I believe McD stays and BB hits the road if he fails. 

Just now, Mango said:

When he gets to the point he cannot turn it around.

The bottom started to fall out of the foundation of the team. He likely has an opportunity to hit one last draft out of the park. At which point I believe McD stays and BB hits the road if he fails. 

I new GM is going to want to die by his own sword meaning his own coach.

43 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

1. HB. For the sake of argument, likely Singletary is going to be gone

2. Guard. say no more.

3. Tackle. no doubt.

4. WR Shakir deserves his shot as #3 next year and this WR team not getting younger.

5. DT

6. Its likely we do not pay Edmunds what he want unless he accepts a home team contract.

7. FS. I love Poyer but we need speed here.

We have a decision to make. We start the year at 4 mil to the good. Do we go all in on The O'Line or do we continue to draft aged vets to fil holes and live with what we got?

Change is needed but how do we move forward? Outside of coaching, what is your game plan? Fix one group or what?

If Edmunds walks then we only have one starting caliber LB on the team.  That's why we started only two LBs all season after Miller went down, we don't have a third that's capable of starting.  

We've all applauded Beane's drafts after he conducts them, but now the realities of his drafts are looming.  

Allen and Diggs on offense, especially now with emotions playing a factor, and Milano on D aren't going to carry this team.  Who knows if White ever beccomes the CB that he was.  Poyer's likely gone, Hyde's 32.  

We have a below-average OL, Saffold who started 16 games, is a FA.  

We have an average DL after pouring numerous 1st and 2nd round draft picks into it over the past several years.  

We have one LB worthy of note, Milano.  Miller turns 34 in a few days. I wouldn't bet on him being healthy all of next season.  He was a risky signing to hopefully push us over the top.  That didn't manifest itself, the risk did.  

We have a whole team of WRs that can't catch with consistency.  

Between Poyer's likey departure and White's future status after his injury, we have no idea what we have  in our secondary.  Hamlin's also gone.  

Beane created this mess.  Let him clean it up.  If he's not capable, and I don't see how, I guess we're screwed.  Hopefully someone "higher up" will realize why we're here and make the necessary corrections.  I'm not counting on it, our organization appears to regularly place loyalty over performance, but hey, stranger things have happened.  

• Like (+1) 5
  • Agree 1

57 minutes ago, PrimeTime101 said:

1. HB. For the sake of argument, likely Singletary is going to be gone

2. Guard. say no more.

3. Tackle. no doubt.

4. WR Shakir deserves his shot as #3 next year and this WR team not getting younger.

5. DT

6. Its likely we do not pay Edmunds what he want unless he accepts a home team contract.

7. FS. I love Poyer but we need speed here.

We have a decision to make. We start the year at 4 mil to the good. Do we go all in on The O'Line or do we continue to draft aged vets to fil holes and live with what we got?

Change is needed but how do we move forward? Outside of coaching, what is your game plan? Fix one group or what?

Is it the players? Or is it the coaches? What do you think? Could Edmunds or Oliver go elsewhere and suddenly become dominant? Wouldn’t surprise me personally.

1 minute ago, PrimeTime101 said:

I new GM is going to want to die by his own sword meaning his own coach.

Meh, I think that is old timey. Tennessee just hired a new GM. Teams can structure their totem pole how they wish. 

1 minute ago, Negan said:

Keep Sean McDermott away from the draft and I bet we see a lot better results moving forward, send a draft guide to Beane and I'd wager the results would be better!!

The 2017 draft was OK. 

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.