safety

dbfla10

32 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

They drafted 4 defensive players in round 1 in the last 4 years.

The league is all about offense.  What do you think will make this team better, a better offensive line and weapons at WR or one defensive player that will get spot duty like their last 4 defensive players have?

I have been banging on the drum for OL the past two years.

Now it is WR and OL. Everyone knows it.

FA OL, FA WR

Rounds 1-2 WR and OL

The simple truth is the only way this defense works is with a good DL (why all the capital goes there) and exceptional S play.

Who are your 2 starting S in September if you do not draft one in rounds 3-4? (That is the latest I found impact S the past 5 drafts)

Poyer is over 30, was injured all year (thanks for being a total stud) and expensive

Hyde is coming off a SPINAL INJURY, also over 30 and in his last year of contract

Hamlin had a Fuc%$ng heart attack

Jaquan Johnson is a terrible S

Marlowe was a rental

Who is your starting S duo????

That may be an issue.

I'd go WR 1, OL 2, S 3, S 4, OL 5 OL 5

UFA RB/ CB/LB

• Agree 1

43 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

They drafted 4 defensive players in round 1 in the last 4 years.

The league is all about offense.  What do you think will make this team better, a better offensive line and weapons at WR or one defensive player that will get spot duty like their last 4 defensive players have?

Why are you arguing with me when I said WR/OL FA and WR/OL in rounds 1 and 2???

Seems to be my priority too.

S is a clear need though. Impact S are not drafted after round 4. (look at the last 5 drafts)

If a S is a 3rd-4th round pick they often need a season to catch up.

Why not do that while Hyde is playing here to teach the way???

I don't understand your reply to me TBH.

I think McBeane can find a budget FA DB who was underutilized with his former team that fits as a Safety. The way they identified Poyer with Cleveland, and to a lesser extent, Hyde. Add a guy like that to the mix along with Benford.

Marlowe could return as cheap depth. Jaquon Johnson has proven that he's not even a depth safety.

9 hours ago, dbfla10 said:

We all know there are ways around the cap, and the Bills need to figure it out and spend.  CJ Gardner Johnson should be #1 on their list of FA. Obviously let Poyer walk, and get younger (possibly better) with Johnson.

CJGs market value is $14m/yr according to spotrac. If they found a way to free up that much space and then spent it on a safety Beane would need to pack his bags.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

59 minutes ago, 947 said:

I think McBeane can find a budget FA DB who was underutilized with his former team that fits as a Safety. The way they identified Poyer with Cleveland, and to a lesser extent, Hyde. Add a guy like that to the mix along with Benford.

Marlowe could return as cheap depth. Jaquon Johnson has proven that he's not even a depth safety.

I would permanently say goodbye to Jaquon and keep Marlowe as cheap depth.  I still think Hamlin will play next year. 

6 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I think they are going to give Benford every opportunity to win the starting safety job. This is a budget year and we need to find adequate cheap solutions where possible. Hopefully Hyde is well enough to return. Sounds like Poyer might be gone.

It is possible Bernard could be trained all off season with Hyde and go to the safety camps, but those consultants/coaches would need to coordinate with our D Backs coaches.  It depends on Bernard’s willingness to put in the effort like Josh has done year after year.  Safety and CB as well as Nickel are all unique skill sets.

Some people on the board think it’s so simple to go from LB or CB to safety.  They have different roles. 

The greater needs right now are G’a (2) and WRs (2).  A speedster and a larger Possession guy.  It’s possible Beane could work a trade for Jeudy or even Samuel aim San Fran.

Bernard can't cover anyone as a linebacker. So he is not the answer. Terrible draft pick. 

I like the Benford idea, but I do think they bring in a young vet for competition. Banking on Benford to make that transition after he only played in 9 games as a rookie at another position out of a FCS school is extremely poor planning. 

11 hours ago, boyst said:

Johnson is a solid nickel and one of the top 3 in the league 

I don't know the league well enough to know that he's top 3, but it wouldn't surprise me.   I thought he was very good in 2021, and he was better in 2022.  But that doesn't matter.  The question is where does he help the team most?   The defense is driven by safety play, and the pass defense fell off this season.  Yes, White was out, but it appeared to me that the problem much more was the safeties.  Hamlin wasn't nearly as good as Poyer or Hyde, and J. Johnson was worse.  Someone needs to anchor that position for the next several seasons, and T. Johnson is exactly the right talent.   Tough, smart, solid tackler, good pass coverage guy.  

The Bills don't have a lot of capital to spend on free agents this season.   If they move T. Johnson to safety, promote Benford to nickel (and assuming Hyde returns), they have the backfield covered without spending an additional nickel.   That allows more room to sign free agents at other positions without weakening the defense. 

18 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I can’t believe we are talking about another DB with yet another top pick after we watched Allen running for his life and throwing to replacement players (beside Diggs) all season. 

Yeah, but once we got past Hamlin, the rest of our depth safeties are horrible.

I think we draft 2 OL, WR, S, LB with our top 5 picks. Pick six ... give me BPA

2 hours ago, machine gun kelly said:

It is possible Bernard could be trained all off season with Hyde and go to the safety camps, but those consultants/coaches would need to coordinate with our D Backs coaches.  It depends on Bernard’s willingness to put in the effort like Josh has done year after year.  Safety and CB as well as Nickel are all unique skill sets.

Some people on the board think it’s so simple to go from LB or CB to safety.  They have different roles. 

The greater needs right now are G’a (2) and WRs (2).  A speedster and a larger Possession guy.  It’s possible Beane could work a trade for Jeudy or even Samuel aim San Fran.

I said Benford, not Bernard. Benford played safety in college some so it isn’t that big of a stretch. He’s also a late round pick, so if I were him I would do anything to get on the field as a starter.

17 hours ago, RocCityRoller said:

This is why I mentioned a S taken in the 3rd. Can find difference makers at S in the 3-4 rounds. One does need to be drafted.

Any FA money should be WR/ OL and then double down high up in the draft

The FA WR group this year is not good. A middling guy like DJ Chark is going to get massively overpaid.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/all/wide-receiver/all/

• Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I think Benford is going to get a shot at FS if Hyde leaves and we might also draft a kid in the top 4 Rounds to compete. 

Power is looking for his last big pay day so i think he is gone Hyde has 1 more year on his contract so there has already been discussion about changing Benford to safety so i think he will be the first choice in OTA's but they need to draft another this year & Hyde will be their mentor .

Unless Poyer for some reason gets sentimental & gives the Bills a reasonable contract but i'm not seeing that happen since Rosenhouse is his agent .

Edited by T master

2 hours ago, DapperCam said:

I said Benford, not Bernard. Benford played safety in college some so it isn’t that big of a stretch. He’s also a late round pick, so if I were him I would do anything to get on the field as a starter.

I stand corrected Dapper.

Thats possible, but Benford is much more physical.

The real answer is probably not on the roster.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.