safety

dbfla10

Putting Johnson at safety takes away one of the best slot corners in the league, so that opens another hole. I'd be surprised if they do that, especially considering how much they run the nickel. Yes, the defensive philosophy might change with Frasier or even a new DC but in a pass-driven league, I doubt they shift to a 4-3 base D most of the time.

So for those reasons I think Benford is a more likely candidate for a position change to safety. We'll see...

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, whorlnut said:

We could also go S on day 3. This is part of the problem with this staff. They like to take rotational players too early. If they nab Benford and Hyde as the starting safeties next year, then it would be beyond stupid to take a safety before day 3, if at all. 

Today you can not count on Hyde or Hamlin being available day 1. That is the simple truth.

Bills should have drafted a S last year, in a deep S class, with Poyer and Hyde being 1 and 2 years from being 30+ yr old FA.

The only way this defensive scheme works is with excellent S play and an effective pass rush.

Poyer is sadly probably gone. but he is over 30 and becoming injury prone. Hyde has 1 year left on contract, is 31 and has a spinal injury.

Hamlin had a heart attack on the field.

How is S not a top 1-2 need???

You sound foolish.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

1 minute ago, RocCityRoller said:

Today you can not count on Hyde or Hamlin being available day 1. That is the simple truth.

Bills should have drafted a S last year, in a deep S class, with Poyer and Hyde being 1 and 2 years from being 30+ yr old FA.

The only way this defensive scheme works is with excellent S play and an effective pass rush.

Poyer is sadly probably gone. but he is over 30 and becoming injury prone. Hyde has 1 year left on contract, is 31 and has a spinal injury.

You sound foolish.

Because you paid your QB 250m with one weapon on offense(at least the only one you use) and two offensive lineman that are above average.

That's why.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

You sound foolish.

Foolish?  How noble of you 

Hyde was set to come back this week, but we didn’t make it that far. He will be fine. Benford was a hybrid DB in college…like Hyde. They have already discussed a move to safety. 

This fanbase has been trained to think we need to take defense early. We don’t. We can get a safety later on and let McD coach him up as a developmental piece. Heck, poyer and Hyde were both day 3 picks and they turned out pretty good, no?

CJ Gardner-Johnson is projected at $14M/year on Spotrac, I don't see any way we could do that. Poyer projects at $11M, and even that'd be a stretch.

With all the other needs we have, I think we have to go with Benford if Poyer walks.

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

I think Benford is going to get a shot at FS if Hyde leaves and we might also draft a kid in the top 4 Rounds to compete. 

Hyde wont leave but not return his former self. Poyer is gone lets assume
So Bills need TWO starters that can get on the field and run McDs offense right away
Benford might be able to do that. So then we need a backup to him.
 This could be brutal.
Frazier has been a bit spoiled.

13 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

Because you paid your QB 250m with one weapon on offense(at least the only one you use) and two offensive lineman that are above average.

That's why.

I want 1 WR and one OL in FA.

I want 1 WR and one OL in rounds 1 and 2.

Round 3 or 4 needs to be a S. This defense crumbles without good S play. I pointed to an example of the type of S you can get in round 3.

Not that hard to see.

I wanted a S in round 2 last year to learn from Poyer and Hyde, and get garbage time play in to inherit Poyer's position.

Myopic reply.

15 minutes ago, whorlnut said:

Foolish?  How noble of you 

Hyde was set to come back this week, but we didn’t make it that far. He will be fine. Benford was a hybrid DB in college…like Hyde. They have already discussed a move to safety. 

This fanbase has been trained to think we need to take defense early. We don’t. We can get a safety later on and let McD coach him up as a developmental piece. Heck, poyer and Hyde were both day 3 picks and they turned out pretty good, no?

OMG you are in your own echo chamber

Hyde is not guaranteed to be Hyde next year. He had a spinal injury. (see Aaron Williams) These guys are not robots.

Even if Hyde is back 100% he is 31 and on the last year of his contract. Why would you not spend a 3-4th on a young stud S who could learn from him?

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, RocCityRoller said:

OMG you are in your own echo chamber

Hyde is not guaranteed to be Hyde next year. He had a spinal injury. (see Aaron Williams) These guys are not robots.

Even if Hyde is back 100% he is 31 and on the last year of his contract. Why would you not spend a 3-4th on a young stud S who could learn from him?

Why does it have to be a 3 or 4?  Are they the magic rounds for you?  You are acting as if w e don’t get a developmental safety in rounds 3 or 4, then why bother?  It’s a silly stance. McD and his staff can develop DBs better than anyone and successfully converted poyer from a corner to a safety. We can get one on day 3 and develop him behind the starters. 

22 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

That's why.

So that means a 3rd this year can't be spent on a S?

We just carry on with our mistakes?

I want OL and WR in round 1 and 2

I want OL and WR in FA

After that S is an important (in this defense) and glaring hole.

Who is your starting S tandem next year?

Old Spinal injured, 1 year on contract Hyde?

Heart Attack Hamlin?

Was a CB now a S Benford?

S is a need on this team. It was last year.

1 hour ago, RocCityRoller said:

So that means a 3rd this year can't be spent on a S?

We just carry on with our mistakes?

I want OL and WR in round 1 and 2

I want OL and WR in FA

After that S is an important (in this defense) and glaring hole.

Who is your starting S tandem next year?

Old Spinal injured, 1 year on contract Hyde?

Heart Attack Hamlin?

Was a CB now a S Benford?

S is a need on this team. It was last year.

They drafted 4 defensive players in round 1 in the last 4 years.

The league is all about offense.  What do you think will make this team better, a better offensive line and weapons at WR or one defensive player that will get spot duty like their last 4 defensive players have?

• Like (+1) 2

If it's me, I'm telling Benford at his exit interview to be ready to take snaps at FS in training camp.  I've seen enough of Elam to feel comfortable with him coming back next season and immediately slotting in as a full time starter opposite Tre. 

Look....I love Poyer and everything he gave to this team as we all do, but there is no way I am signing him to a big contract at his age.  We need to make tough decisions in order to save on cap space and I think Benford could fill the void at S admirably.  In his snaps throughout the first part of the season, he showed that he's smart, can cover fairly well, and is a willing tackler even if he's a bit undersized and slower than the typical CB.  I think he has enough talent to see playing time, but I don't need him rotating with Elam. 

This leaves you with Tre, Elam, Johnson, Hyde and Benford as your starting secondary with Jackson slotted in as your primary backup at CB.  You can't have all stars at every position, especially with the cap situation we will be facing, so you have to get creative in spots.  I think Benford is smart enough and has enough physical tools to make a switch to safety work.  Actually thought that when he was drafted as well, but Beane said he wanted to try him at CB first.  I think he did just fine there in his first year, but I think he can make a fine NFL safety.  Then, we'll have to find a replacement for Hyde most likely after next season.  Hyde will be good for Benford to play off of and learn the position from this year for sure, though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.