Cameron Brate possible cut, should we sign him?

The Jokeman

3 minutes ago, damj said:

golf fall GIF on that one

Hell ... this kid golfs better than me

The hype was real on that one too.  We were sold the idea having both him and Knox out there as double threat on top of Diggs and Davis would be a nightmare for DCs.

Edited by Billz4ever
  • Haha (+1) 1

7 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Are we going to do this with every player that gets cut from here until TC?

Yes we are.  Let's just cut to the chase right now and ask this about every possible available player. 

I'll go first, Tom Brady, available, should we do it?  I say yes, think about the endless possibilities here, to include setting a new record for most TBD pages to a thread, even exceeding the "Mario Williams" record.  Are you starting to see the benefits of this brilliant idea?

Who's next? (We are in off season mode - so why not?)

Edited by BillsNutHawaii
Add content
  • Eyeroll 1

10 hours ago, whorlnut said:

Are we going to do this with every player that gets cut from here until TC?

Yes.  Kind of a must have thread whenever someone gets cut that wasn’t Mr. Irrelevant.  Oh man, that’s gonna change!

It’s one of my pastimes actually.  As soon as I read a known individual get cut, I come here to see the thread.  Never disappointed.   Although, there is always some go pros and cons within the thread.

16 hours ago, Beck Water said:

So it's kind of interesting, I read an article on Beane.  Basically as a young multi-sport athlete, he was always under-sized and epitomized the "it's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog" mantra.  McDermott was cast in the same mold (albeit, with a more restrained temper) as a DB.

I wish I could find the link, IMHO it sort of shed some light on why Beane and McDermott may over-value under-sized players with "good work ethic" "good background" etc.

Dunno. Other than Oliver, who is undersized for a DT but still an outstanding athlete, they typically go for athletic freaks even if the player is underdeveloped. Even by NFL standards Allen, Edmunds, Rousseau and Brown are athletic freaks at their positions. And all were very raw. 

20 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Dunno. Other than Oliver, who is undersized for a DT but still an outstanding athlete, they typically go for athletic freaks even if the player is underdeveloped. Even by NFL standards Allen, Edmunds, Rousseau and Brown are athletic freaks at their positions. And all were very raw. 

The problem with going for raw, underdeveloped athletic freaks with high draft picks is, unless a team can really develop them quickly, they wind up starting to contribute just before they want to get paid.

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

The problem with going for raw, underdeveloped athletic freaks with high draft picks is, unless a team can really develop them quickly, they wind up starting to contribute just before they want to get paid.

Absolutely it is a big drawback. It really depends on the opportunity cost. Who else is there?

20 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Cameron Brate might be a cap casualty, he could also be a good 2nd TE here as I can't see him costing a lot of cap money toss in wouldn't count against the UFA loss/gain formula. Also he'd be cheaper than a WR. Thoughts?

Quinton Morse has shown us that he has really good hands & knows the offense but neither him or really Knox were used as much as they should have so before we go getting rid of Morse or Sweeney i'd say lets utilize what is there first because what we have in Knox is good & Q wasn't used correctly IMHO .

So maybe bring him in for camp & if he shows to be "That Guy" then sure but i think Q needs a bigger shot because the dude has made some pretty incredible catches i thought at times when they really needed them this year .

52 minutes ago, T master said:

Quinton Morse has shown us that he has really good hands & knows the offense but neither him or really Knox were used as much as they should have so before we go getting rid of Morse or Sweeney i'd say lets utilize what is there first because what we have in Knox is good & Q wasn't used correctly IMHO .

Sweeney is a FA, and I don't see us re-signing him

I would like to see more of Morris.  He showed good route running abilities and good hands in the targets he got.  And, a good number of the yards he got were after the catch.  What I don't know, is how is his blocking coming along.  Better than Sweeney overall I guess, since Morris bumped him on the depth chart and overall took 30% of the snaps! but that might be too low of a bar.

I agree with you that we didn't get as much offensive contribution out of the TE position as we could have. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.