XFL Thread 2023

PromoTheRobot

USFL will play in 4 locations this year, with two teams based at each location:
Birmingham Stallions and New Orleans Breakers - Birmingham

Memphis Showboats and Houston Gamblers - Memphis
Pittsburgh Maulers and New Jersey Generals - Canton, OH

Michigan Panthers and Philadelphia Stars - no official location yet (Rumor is Detroit)

https://www.theusfl.com/the-usfl/canton-ohio-to-host-usfl-games-during-2023-regular-season

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Like (+1) 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 12:27 PM, PromoTheRobot said:

USFL will play in 4 locations this year, with two teams based at each location:
Birmingham Stallions and New Orleans Breakers - Birmingham

Memphis Showboats and Houston Gamblers - Memphis
Pittsburgh Maulers and New Jersey Generals - Canton, OH

Michigan Panthers and Philadelphia Stars - no official location yet (Rumor is Detroit)

https://www.theusfl.com/the-usfl/canton-ohio-to-host-usfl-games-during-2023-regular-season

I was thinking it'll increase the number of games each week where there would actually be fans in the stands, but maybe not. Depends on whose on the road. 

7 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I wonder if the "real football" tag line in the commercials is because XFL is starting up soon also. 

Absolutely. By the way, did you notice all the old USFL footage and nostalgia being used? A legal settlement was reached with whoever had the rights to the original USFL to finally connect the new and old league. So expect to see lots of historical footage and original USFL players to appear on broadcasts. (Looking at you, Jim Kelly!)

Edited by PromoTheRobot

XFL starts this week. Why wait for the USFL.  https://www.xfl.com/xfl-today/russ-brandon

RUSS BRANDON, PRESIDENT, LEAGUE AND FOOTBALL OPERATIONS

Russ Brandon is the President of League and Football Operations for the XFL. As President, Russ manages day-to-day operations of the league while directing strategic planning for business and football operations on both the league and team levels. Russ is responsible for overseeing league and team business practices, with a strong focus on commercial initiatives, including partnerships, ticketing, merchandise, media, marketing, digital and gaming. Importantly, Russ leads the development of the football philosophy to bring a dynamic game back for fans as the XFL returns to the field in 20

Edited by Albany,n.y.
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Albany,n.y. said:

XFL starts this week. Why wait for the USFL.  https://www.xfl.com/xfl-today/russ-brandon

RUSS BRANDON, PRESIDENT, LEAGUE AND FOOTBALL OPERATIONS

Russ Brandon is the President of League and Football Operations for the XFL. As President, Russ manages day-to-day operations of the league while directing strategic planning for business and football operations on both the league and team levels. Russ is responsible for overseeing league and team business practices, with a strong focus on commercial initiatives, including partnerships, ticketing, merchandise, media, marketing, digital and gaming. Importantly, Russ leads the development of the football philosophy to bring a dynamic game back for fans as the XFL returns to the field in 20

Is he managing HR too? Might be a bit of a conflict there.

• Like (+1) 1

When the XFL originally announced their comeback they said their operating model was going to be geared towards recruiting young players away from college, looking into transfer portals, trying to find promising players who had trouble with college eligibility or guys who wanted to make money to take care of their families while waiting for their NFL eligibility to begin.    Similar to something like Overtime Elite in basketball.   

I was excited for that, I thought it was a fresh way to move into a new football league.  Instead they ended up doing the same thing as every league before them, they drafted college and NFL washouts who have a very slim chance in making back to the league.     I am less excited about the league starting up because of that.   Hopefully they look back into developing their league as originally planned, and you'll see players drafted to the NFL through the XFL.  I think thats the only way for one of these things to work.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

When the XFL originally announced their comeback they said their operating model was going to be geared towards recruiting young players away from college, looking into transfer portals, trying to find promising players who had trouble with college eligibility or guys who wanted to make money to take care of their families while waiting for their NFL eligibility to begin.    Similar to something like Overtime Elite in basketball.   

I was excited for that, I thought it was a fresh way to move into a new football league.  Instead they ended up doing the same thing as every league before them, they drafted college and NFL washouts who have a very slim chance in making back to the league.     I am less excited about the league starting up because of that.   Hopefully they look back into developing their league as originally planned, and you'll see players drafted to the NFL through the XFL.  I think thats the only way for one of these things to work.

I don't think they can compete with the money bigger college players are paid.  I've been saying for a while a league needed to go after high school and college players if they wanted to be successful. 

7 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

I don't think they can compete with the money bigger college players are paid.  I've been saying for a while a league needed to go after high school and college players if they wanted to be successful. 

I thought they were going to focus on mixing older players with talented college players who had to choose JUCO for whatever reason.  Thinking of Last Chance U type guys.   Instead they are giving us USFL/XFL Veteran Luis Perez.     Never thought they'd steal top recruits away from colleges but they totally abandoned their model.    Should of hired Coach Prime to be the commissioner, he seems to know how to get top recruits to choose him.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Not at the table Karlos said:

9 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

I thought they were going to focus on mixing older players with talented college players who had to choose JUCO for whatever reason.  Thinking of Last Chance U type guys.   Instead they are giving us USFL/XFL Veteran Luis Perez.     Never thought they'd steal top recruits away from colleges but they totally abandoned their model.    Should of hired Coach Prime to be the commissioner, he seems to know how to get top recruits to choose him.

Both leagues are "second chances" for pro players. And that's how everyone should look at it. Are there NFL cuts that can improve with added coaching and experience? Last year 51 USFL players got NFL camp invites. And as of mid-December 2022, there were 2 active roster and 19 practice squad players with NFL clubs.

Edited by PromoTheRobot

11 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Both leagues are "second chances" for pro players. And that's how everyone should look at it. Are there NFL cuts that can improve with added coaching and experience? Last year 51 USFL players got NFL camp invites. And as of mid-December 2022, there were 2 active roster and 19 practice squad players with NFL clubs.

I get that.  Except they literally did press and podcasts saying the exact opposite when they restarted the league.  It was their selling point as to why they were different than other upstart leagues.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.