Who is your choice for DC?

Buffalo03

5 hours ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Agreed. They have not shown the patience to let these IOL guys develop. With the Wyatt Teler thing (not trying to beat a dead horse) but they brought in guys like Quentin Spain and Jon Feliciano and draft Cody Ford. That essentially pushed Teller off the roster. They never let the guy develop. I suppose my point is that if they drafted interior O linemen every year, they still would have signed guys like Saffold and pushed the young guys off the roster anyway. The only reason you cut a guy like Morse if you are reallocating that money to a top guard and moving Ryan Bates to center. Otherwise they should keep him around and extend imo. 

This is why I'm meh about WR as well and not to beat that dead horse, but something was obviously off with a certain WR now on NYG. I tend to wonder how well our scouts and our coaches can identify and develop talent on the offensive side of the ball. 

Saffold came with kromer, which makes sense and I thought he might have a little left in the tank. It feels like the way Sean and Beane set this team up is to draft and develop the defense, assuming he trusts those coaches and is his strong suit & to sign stop gap vets on offense, we really haven't seen much to challenge this. Now whether that is do to a core philosophy or not having enough faith and trust is beyond me. I do know that when it comes to WRs under Daboll, having them know and able to use a full route tree, was a key trait we  wanted, hence always vets there. 

I get what your saying about Morse and the cap reallocation, but he has been really good for us and I'm thinking that with the cap situation we have it may be best to keep him and Bates and swing harder at 1 OG spot and it sure sounds like RT, which we have been searching for for 25 years...

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 1/26/2023 at 9:56 AM, GunnerBill said:

We won't cut Morse. Unless he retires he is back. 

I hope to the end of the earth Saffold is not back. If he is I will lose a lot of faith.

Based on his PFF grade this season (43.7), Saffold barely qualifies as a warm body at this point.

Edited by Billz4ever

On 1/25/2023 at 11:10 AM, HoofHearted said:

1. We play way more 3 and Quarters than we do true Cover 2.

2. The Eagles aren't having any issues stopping good offenses running the exact same scheme.

I get it, fans over-react and want to point blame at someone. We got beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball. You can't overcome that regardless of the scheme.

True, we did get beat in the trenches, and that is why we need to bolster the O-line first and foremost, we already have lots of D line guys that a new DC should be able to do something with. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/25/2023 at 8:10 AM, HoofHearted said:

1. We play way more 3 and Quarters than we do true Cover 2.

2. The Eagles aren't having any issues stopping good offenses running the exact same scheme.

I get it, fans over-react and want to point blame at someone. We got beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball. You can't overcome that regardless of the scheme.

Well, until tonight. There was talk about Jonathan Gannon being the next Arizona HC. Not anymore. He's going to get the Leslie Frazier treatment. The Eagles fans want him gone now.

Edited by chongli

Eagles actually did have trouble stopping good offenses this season. Don’t have the numbers on me, but all the capable QBs they went against put up lots of points, except Trevor Lawrence. Supposedly it was a bad weather game and he kept fumbling the ball. As highly touted as their defense was, it didn’t step up when it needed to. Scheme related? Perhaps. Maybe they rely on their front four too much, like the Bills and when they don’t get home and they’re forced to blitz, they give up lots of yardage and points because the DC doesn’t specialize in calling crafty blitz packages. 

19 minutes ago, JayBaller10 said:

Eagles actually did have trouble stopping good offenses this season. Don’t have the numbers on me, but all the capable QBs they went against put up lots of points, except Trevor Lawrence. Supposedly it was a bad weather game and he kept fumbling the ball. As highly touted as their defense was, it didn’t step up when it needed to. Scheme related? Perhaps. Maybe they rely on their front four too much, like the Bills and when they don’t get home and they’re forced to blitz, they give up lots of yardage and points because the DC doesn’t specialize in calling crafty blitz packages. 

Yeah, Trevor didn't have a good game that week lol. 4 lost fumbles and threw a pick, but they only lost by 8.

Wrex Ryan...as he just interviewed for the Broncos DC job! Nobody can screw up a good 4-3 like that guy!

The 2022 NFL team with the best pass rush win rate were the Philly Eagles with 52%. The Chiefs didn't allow a single sack on a hobbled Patrick Mahomes in the SB! 

Buffalo played KC in week 6 this past year and sacked a non hobbled Mahomes 3x, and intercepted him 2x...and beat them at Kansas City! 

To the Bills fans wanting McD gone...you clearly are oblivious to what's good or bad!  

Last season the Bills had the #1 overall defense. This season they were #2 in points allowed, #6 in yards allowed despite all the injuries to key starters. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34536376/2022-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams

To the Bills GM, build a better O line! 

On 1/25/2023 at 11:10 AM, Heavy Kevi said:

Josh's window is at least a decade. No one else matters.

What we are doing isn't working. It beats up on bad teams and folds under good offenses. Get it right is what we need to do. Continuity is great... And it's why I'm cool with giving Dorsey another year, but the defense has been continually exposed in big moments, and that's not the continuity we need.

I'm not neccesarily advocating for Vic, but we need a wholesale sea change in philosophy on defense or it's the same song and dance. Just getting Von healthy and praying he stays that way isn't gonna do it.

Agreed and well said.  Hope is not a game plan.  The Defense clearly can't beat the best offenses enough to win a big game. consistently.

On 1/25/2023 at 11:14 AM, BBills_88 said:

Someone young, innovative and adaptable. Someone who knows how to get the players in the right position to be successful and maximize their talent. 

That sounds like a plan.  Simple and perfect.

On 1/25/2023 at 11:29 AM, Dr. Who said:

75 yrs old, but he could coach D.

Yes, I would take a 75 year old Wade

On 1/25/2023 at 11:43 AM, HoofHearted said:

That's every scheme my guy. If you don't win in the trenches you don't win period.

Agreed, the trenches are everything.  And, I strongly dislike our overpaid rotation of a DLine trench!  It is non sensical.  Either rotate with many cap value players or don't rotate with expensive players and high draft picks.  The theory does not make sense to you valuable cap and capital for part time players.

18 hours ago, Nihilarian said:

Wrex Ryan...as he just interviewed for the Broncos DC job! Nobody can screw up a good 4-3 like that guy!

The 2022 NFL team with the best pass rush win rate were the Philly Eagles with 52%. The Chiefs didn't allow a single sack on a hobbled Patrick Mahomes in the SB! 

Buffalo played KC in week 6 this past year and sacked a non hobbled Mahomes 3x, and intercepted him 2x...and beat them at Kansas City! 

To the Bills fans wanting McD gone...you clearly are oblivious to what's good or bad!  

Last season the Bills had the #1 overall defense. This season they were #2 in points allowed, #6 in yards allowed despite all the injuries to key starters. 

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/34536376/2022-nfl-pass-rushing-run-stopping-blocking-leaderboard-win-rate-rankings-top-players-teams

To the Bills GM, build a better O line! 

WHAT? No other brilliant choices to replace the DC, or HC?

C'MON folks, don't give up now!

With the leagues most fearsome front four...only 5 QB hits on Mahomes all game, no sacks, no INTs. THEY LOST!!!! Now, they should FIRE EVERYONE...right? 

DC needs to go, OC needs to go, HC needs to go! So what that they were 14-3 in the 2022 season...they lost the SB!  Philly fans are probably bleating like stuck sheep now. 

Philly had the #3 overall offense. #8 defense in points allowed, #2 in yards allowed.  The Eagles coaches were out coached and the players out played...stuff happens

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.