Who is your choice for DC?

Buffalo03

21 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Again, the Eagles aren't having any problems running the same defensive scheme. The difference is they have DUDES across their defensive line and we don't.

They came within 2 sacks of tying the NFL record of 72...they had 70 this year. That's insane

10 hours ago, Rigotz said:

This would be an interesting take if it were true.

The Eagles are an extremely multiple base front. They run a lot of 3-3-5 base front, 4-2-5, and 3-4-4. They adapt the front based on the team they’re facing.

We run a base 4-3 Nickel and change around things post-snap. That’s how we are “multiple” and it works against bad QBs because they have no keys to read pre-snap. This doesn’t work against great QBs because they read our keys live and know EXACTLY what base to prepare for ahead of the matchup.

So… you might not be part of the “fire everyone crowd” … but you should open your eyes or at least try to find a recent time when the Bills have shut down an elite offense. You’ll find your answer there and it’s not just the trenches.

https://www.bleedinggreennation.com/platform/amp/2022/10/24/23420170/state-eagles-defense-numbers-philadelphia-jonathan-gannon-nfl-football-scheme

LOL. You need to actually watch the games, smart. Whatever "Jonny Page" is calling a 3-3-5 is really a four man front with a stand-up defensive end. Look at the alignments - the majority of the time they're in a 5-3-1-5 across the defensive line. By the way we run 4-2-5 personnel, not "4-3 Nickel" (I don't even know wtf this is). Additionally, I have no idea what you're trying to convey with your comments about Bad QBs vs. Good QBs and there being no keys but then all of sudden there are keys if you're good? If you'd like me to explain basic defensive principles to you I'd be more than happy to. Sounds like you're the one who needs to be educated, not me.

• Eyeroll 1

Frazier is fine in general. His defense is usually good. I wouldn't mind him sticking around...with one caveat.

Against the best QBs, or in games where our 4 man rush isn't getting there, I would like the Head Coach to override the DC and implement the 3 or 5.

Show four, and then rush three. Everyone else drop. Or crowd the line for confusion (Rex Ryan style) and rush 3 or 5 from there. The games we lose is where we can't affect the QB with 4.

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have a traffic cone that could play as well as Saffold.

My comment on saffold, who is awful, is simply that whoever we draft will certainly play sparingly (if at all) this year. I would expect Ike to take this spot back, but he isn't great either.

Same goes for cutting Morse (could slide Bates over) but then that's 2 OG positions open and Ike isn't that good either imo...so how does this move beef up the OL?

There has been a lot of chatter on the internet and on WGR that we have to find OL and WR in the draft (we do) but expecting any of them to contribute in 2023....rookies don't play much for us...

18 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

My comment on saffold, who is awful, is simply that whoever we draft will certainly play sparingly (if at all) this year. I would expect Ike to take this spot back, but he isn't great either.

Same goes for cutting Morse (could slide Bates over) but then that's 2 OG positions open and Ike isn't that good either imo...so how does this move beef up the OL?

There has been a lot of chatter on the internet and on WGR that we have to find OL and WR in the draft (we do) but expecting any of them to contribute in 2023....rookies don't play much for us...

We won't cut Morse. Unless he retires he is back. 

I hope to the end of the earth Saffold is not back. If he is I will lose a lot of faith.

• Agree 1

15 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

Ive been a McD supporter, but starting to seriously worry. We need top coordinators.  If Payton and Fangio are a team deal, im making that move. Sure you need to revamp the D with Fangio, but better than trying to bring in a different guy with same scheme. Might take 2years to draft the right guys, but you've got an offensive mind that maximizes the talent we have now. IDK, i certainly im listening to having that convo

Man this feels like the old days...we're talking about firing a coach who likely has a 0% chance of being fired and asking to replace him with a superstar.

I just can't see them doing it....that's the nuclear option. It is WAY safer for the Pegulas to have Sean hire a new DC (not even a firing since Leslie's contract is up, right?) and just say "We think Dorsey will improve in his second season'.

Not sayin' that's good enough, but it is what I expect. I could also see them extending Leslie...

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

We won't cut Morse. Unless he retires he is back. 

I hope to the end of the earth Saffold is not back. If he is I will lose a lot of faith.

I am not a big cap guy, but I am not opposed to simple extension/restructure to take on two more years for Morse. He is still young. Concussions are something, but its not like its more risky because he is 33. 

On 1/25/2023 at 5:58 PM, Buffalo03 said:

Leslie Frazier's contract is now up and if McDermott and Beane are smart, he will not be resigned. I personally would like Vic Fangio. He had solid defenses in San Francisco and Chicago when he was with both teams. He's older but would be one of my top choices

I put the Super Bowl trophy because I believe Fangio would be a huge piece of us getting one. 

On 1/25/2023 at 11:05 AM, Rigotz said:

The real question is — will McDermott be willing to play a defensive scheme other than his own Cover 2, zone heavy scheme that doesn’t work against good offenses?

If he’s unwilling to change, we will end up with another Leslie Frazier who is probably less experienced and talented than Leslie Frazier.

I wanted to back to this because I’m trying to stomach the All 22 of the game. The first two possessions by the Bengals saw almost exclusive cover 2 by the Bills. The exception on the first drive was C-1 on the TD. The second drive had one C-1 inside the RZ as well. It would have been two but the other was the Offside play. Very basic coverage schemes with attempts to disguise, but easily read since they almost always went to the same C-2. That also made it easy to run on us. OTOH the Bengals really mixed it up on the first two Bills drives despite only having 6 plays. Watching this is actually making me feel worse. 

1 hour ago, MrEpsYtown said:

I am not a big cap guy, but I am not opposed to simple extension/restructure to take on two more years for Morse. He is still young. Concussions are something, but its not like its more risky because he is 33. 

Seems like the usual OL development takes a couple seasons, unless you draft very early in round 1, we should have been drafting an IOL every year or so, so we can keep that depth there. Instead we dumpster dive in FA

42 minutes ago, Reed83HOF said:

Seems like the usual OL development takes a couple seasons, unless you draft very early in round 1, we should have been drafting an IOL every year or so, so we can keep that depth there. Instead we dumpster dive in FA

Agreed. They have not shown the patience to let these IOL guys develop. With the Wyatt Teler thing (not trying to beat a dead horse) but they brought in guys like Quentin Spain and Jon Feliciano and draft Cody Ford. That essentially pushed Teller off the roster. They never let the guy develop. I suppose my point is that if they drafted interior O linemen every year, they still would have signed guys like Saffold and pushed the young guys off the roster anyway. The only reason you cut a guy like Morse if you are reallocating that money to a top guard and moving Ryan Bates to center. Otherwise they should keep him around and extend imo. 

• Agree 1

Building an o-line a tricky balancing act. You draft one in 2nd, 3rd or 4th round, they may not be NFL ready, but because of limited roster size, you almost have to put them on active roster and cut a vet like Quessenbury  or Boettger. You can't carry 10 o-linemen.  If you try to sneak the  draftee onto the practice squad, you risk some other team stealing him.  If your first-string guard is injured, you have to throw your rookie into the fire even though he's not ready. Last year, Eagles stole a draftee from our practice squad. Indy did same this year (although I don't think Tenuta was a big loss). Spend a  high draft pick on O-line, you better be sure he can step in right away. And let's face it...the draft is a crapshoot.

Is Steve Wilks an option or someone that could get the job done? I don’t really pay much attention to coordinators and schemes across the league. I know he was there when McD was DC in Carolina.  Is he someone we should take a look at if he’s not going to be a head coach? Sorry if this is repetitive 

The Bills need better players. The four they rush is bland, dry, ineffective. Draft.  

Cincinnati rushed three, because their three were superior to our OLine’s five. Eight in coverage and Allen has no one open and the play is over. 

I don’t know how in the world the four that the Bills rush we’re going to beat the five OLine the Bengals had blocking. Then the soft coverage, and it was a joke.

Coach can’t play worse players with completely ineffective schemes. You have to find ways to off set. Frazier and McDermott seem too thick-headed to adjust, so it’s a talent matchup, and the Bills don’t have the horses right now to get it done. 

17 minutes ago, Thrivefourfive said:

The Bills need better players. The four they rush is bland, dry, ineffective. Draft.  

Cincinnati rushed three, because their three were superior to our OLine’s five. Eight in coverage and Allen has no one open and the play is over. 

I don’t know how in the world the four that the Bills rush we’re going to beat the five OLine the Bengals had blocking. Then the soft coverage, and it was a joke.

Coach can’t play worse players with completely ineffective schemes. You have to find ways to off set. Frazier and McDermott seem too thick-headed to adjust, so it’s a talent matchup, and the Bills don’t have the horses right now to get it done. 

They need a new DL coach. They have a lot of legitimate first and second round talent there. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.