Who is your choice for DC?

Buffalo03

22 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'm a little confused as to what your intended meaning is.  Are you saying the 1TDT position (DaQuan/Settle) isn't a big cog in what makes the thing go?

Or that Jordan Phillips (3TDT usually) isn't?

If it's nothing we haven't seen all season, how did Miami and how did the Bengals appear more able to exploit more motion in the run game?

Was it just because we weren't keeping the backers clean?

The 1 techn isn't a big cog in what makes this thing go. Miami and Cinci got push up front. It's as simple as that. We got out-physicalled.

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

The 1 techn isn't a big cog in what makes this thing go. Miami and Cinci got push up front. It's as simple as that. We got out-physicalled.

No argument on that Miami and Cinci got push up front.  On the other hand, Jones DNP vs. Cinci and no word on when during Mia he got injured.  Phillips of course was playing with a torn rotator cuff, DNP vs Miami. 

I will say that the resources expended on the 1TDT kind of argue that McDermott, Frazier, and Beane don't agree with you.  Those resources may not always have been well-spent, or on the right guy, but they do keep spending them.   Jones and Settle account for 6% of the Bills cap this season. 

So would you argue that having Jones out and Phillips, possibly Oliver playing hurt made no difference?  We would still get "out physicalled" because we don't have "dudes"?

I have to say, if allocating $55M (24%) of the estimated cap for 2023 (excluding Phillips) plus investing 2- 1st round (one #6), 2- second round, 1 third round, and our biggest FA signing is not sufficient to give us whatever we need on the DL, that seems to be a huge talent evaluation issue.

4 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

Again, the Eagles aren't having any problems running the same defensive scheme. The difference is they have DUDES across their defensive line and we don't.

I agree with that completely. Watching our lines on both sides of the ball just get abused by Cincy was tough to watch.

My question is with how many resources this org has poured into the DL and how many we carry on the roster, how is it they are getting manhandled by a team missing 3 out of 5 OL starters?  Are we just that bad at evaluating talent?  I get we were without Von, Jones, and Phillips was playing with one arm, but is anything different that game even if those guys are 100%? I don't think so.

Edited by Billz4ever

20 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

No argument on that Miami and Cinci got push up front.  On the other hand, Jones DNP vs. Cinci and no word on when during Mia he got injured.  Phillips of course was playing with a torn rotator cuff, DNP vs Miami. 

I will say that the resources expended on the 1TDT kind of argue that McDermott, Frazier, and Beane don't agree with you.  Those resources may not always have been well-spent, or on the right guy, but they do keep spending them.   Jones and Settle account for 6% of the Bills cap this season. 

So would you argue that having Jones out and Phillips, possibly Oliver playing hurt made no difference?  We would still get "out physicalled" because we don't have "dudes"?

I have to say, if allocating $55M (24%) of the estimated cap for 2023 (excluding Phillips) plus investing 2- 1st round (one #6), 2- second round, 1 third round, and our biggest FA signing is not sufficient to give us whatever we need on the DL, that seems to be a huge talent evaluation issue.

We spend money in general on the DL. It’s not specific to the 1 tech. DaQuon being out certainly made a difference. Anyone playing hurt certainly makes a difference. My point was the 1 tech isn’t any more important to this scheme than any other defensive line position.

The scheme in general is at its best (as are all defensive schemes) when you can generate pressure with 4. So DL in general is the cog that makes this thing go.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Reed83HOF said:

This is pretty much where I am at,  the UFA WR class is not good and I don't expect whoever any of our draft choices are to start or contribute in a meaningful way in season 1. 

we arent narrowing rhe gap between KC or Cin this offseason and the teams below us who are close to catching us will be closer. If there is a season to take a flyer to retool and clean some cap up, this one might be it. I don't want to spin wheels.

The Bills spent aggressively. this year{Miller} because this was their Super bowl year. It obviously did not work. Some aggressive retooling this year can open up funds for future years to enable them to renew, continue, their quest.

9 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

I agree with that completely. Watching our lines on both sides of the ball just get abused by Cincy was tough to watch.

My question is with how many resources this org has poured into the DL and how many we carry on the roster, how is it they are getting manhandled by a team missing 3 out of 5 OL starters?  Are we just that bad at evaluating talent?  I get we were without Von, Jones, and Phillips was playing with one arm, but is anything different that game even if those guys are 100%? I don't think so.

If those guys are all healthy we hold up better vs the run and force Cinci into more situations where they have to push the ball further down the field which in-turn gives our pass rush more time to get home. Unequivocally, yes. It would have been different. How much? Who’s to say.

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

If those guys are all healthy we hold up better vs the run and force Cinci into more situations where they have to push the ball further down the field which in-turn gives our pass rush more time to get home. Unequivocally, yes. It would have been different. How much? Who’s to say.

It just seems like we've spent year after year pumping more and more into this DL at the expense of the offense, with little to show for it, while other teams are markedly better in that respect, with lesser investment overall and I'm far from convinced just getting a healthy Jones and Von back next year changes the problems we have on the line and the defense overall.

Edited by Billz4ever

2 hours ago, Trock said:

Let McD call the plays for a year.  

Yeah I have been on board with this. Don't renew Frazier's contract and let him go quietly. I don't see a hire coming from outside the organization and them installing new defense.

McDermott promotes someone from within to handle the day to day while he calls plays on gameday. McDermott should be on the hot seat next year and it is time to put onus on him to get team to the Super Bowl. It starts with his defense which has under performed despite the amount of money spent.

Edited by billieve420
  • Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

It just seems like we've spent year after year pumping more and more into this DL at the expense of the offense, with little to show for it, while other teams are markedly better in that respect, with lesser investment overall and I'm far from convinced just getting a healthy Jones and Von back next year changes the problems we have on the line and the defense overall.

It doesnt change the problems. The problem is our rotational back-ups aren't very good. Those problems still exist - they are just less noticeable when there's actual competent players mixed into the rotation.

• Agree 1

4 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

It doesnt change the problems. The problem is our rotational back-ups aren't very good. Those problems still exist - they are just less noticeable when there's actual competent players mixed into the rotation.

Are you a fan of the constant rotation or would you rather see the better guys out there for more plays?

26 minutes ago, Billz4ever said:

Are you a fan of the constant rotation or would you rather see the better guys out there for more plays?

I think there's value in the rotation. I'd like to see a better job as far as the management of it throughout games, but there's definitely value to doing it.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Ejiro Evero sounds like he'd be a good fit:

Head Coach of the Super Bowl Champion Rams, Sean McVay, is not surprised by Evero's success in Denver, "Incredibly smart, intelligent, great disposition, demeanor," McVay said of Evero. "[He] knows how to connect with all types of guys, knows how to be able to help them reach their highest potential…[He's an] absolute stud. Least surprised person of how well they've done and how great of a job he's doing leading the defense is me."

Evero is not married to one scheme, whether 4-3 or 3-4; he will let the players he has to dictate that, but one philosophy that he will always subscribe to is the importance of getting to the quarterback. "Regardless of how it turns out, you have to affect the quarterback," Evero said. "That's the No. 1 deal in terms of stopping the pass game in the NFL. We have to pressure the quarterback…"

https://247sports.com/nfl/cleveland-browns/LongFormArticle/Cleveland-Browns-NFL-Defensive-Coordinator-Updated-January--197818983/#197818983_1

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, billieve420 said:

Yeah I have been on board with this. Don't renew Frazier's contract and let him go quietly. I don't see a hire coming from outside the organization and them installing new defense.

McDermott promotes someone from within to handle the day to day while he calls plays on gameday. McDermott should be on the hot seat next year and it is time to put onus on him to get team to the Super Bowl. It starts with his defense which has under performed despite the amount of money spent.

Butler or Babich would be my guess. Better not be Eric Washington. 

40 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

HC at Wisconsin. Defensive Coordinator and defensive backs coach prior to HC at Wisconsin. 

REALLY? I had no idea. Good for him! Let’s face it, he was out there only because he was smart enough to overcome his physical limitations. Sounds like good coaching material. 

4 minutes ago, drummernut74 said:

Has anyone actually confirmed that Frazier’s contract is up, or is this now one long post based on frivolous rumor and speculation ?

Well……I mean….it IS what we do?  🤷‍♂️

I honestly did a very Google search and saw nothing recent about his contract status. 

6 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Leslie Frazier's contract is now up and if McDermott and Beane are smart, he will not be resigned. I personally would like Vic Fangio. He had solid defenses in San Francisco and Chicago when he was with both teams. He's older but would be one of my top choices

If he hadn't already been hired by the Browns I would have loved to see Jim Schwartz be brought back . I loved his aggressive style .

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.