Who is your choice for DC?

Buffalo03

4 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

I don't know anything about this person, but he spells his first name correctly so that's a very good first step.  Works for me.

He's been mentioned I think the past 2 years as a DC candidate for a bunch of different teams, I'm not sure if he interviews well or not but he's an up and comer for sure. I find it hard to believe he can't implement a version of McDermott's defense. 

2 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Steve Wilks or Brian Flores.

Wilks’ has shown versatility as a DC, players love him, and he worked for McDermott, so I think we will have better continuity.

I am huge Flores fan and I think his attacking style and versatility would be a welcome change.  

Flores no ....ongoing litigation

Wilks....another die mold of a Frazier yes man? Would McD let him be his own man? BTW, I think he did let Frazier be his own man......much to his own detriment.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, HoofHearted said:

You'd be starting completely over defensively with that hire. Everyone complaining about wasting Josh's window - you're talking a 2-3 year transition from a personnel standpoint with a move like that.

That's not true at all! Plenty of new coordinators come in and completely turn around a D the first year!!

Just now, JMM said:

That's not true at all! Plenty of new coordinators come in and completely turn around a D the first year!!

I never said it wasn't possible to turn things around in a season. I said HE couldn't. It would be a wholistic change in defensive philosophy/personnel. That takes a year or two just to get the right personnel in the building. I'm not even taking into account the time it takes to truly learn and feel comfortable in a new scheme.

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Leslie Frazier's contract is now up and if McDermott and Beane are smart, he will not be resigned. I personally would like Vic Fangio. He had solid defenses in San Francisco and Chicago when he was with both teams. He's older but would be one of my top choices

Wait it’s expired? 

5 minutes ago, nosejob said:

I can't ever remember the Bills going into an off season without the oc/dc being extended.

10 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Wait it’s expired? 

2 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Leslie Frazier's contract is now up and if McDermott and Beane are smart, he will not be resigned. I personally would like Vic Fangio. He had solid defenses in San Francisco and Chicago when he was with both teams. He's older but would be one of my top choices

Is this true? 

I cannot find a single source talking about Frazier's contract at any point in his Buffalo tenure. 

• Like (+1) 2

39 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

I don't agree with this. You can see the adjustments that were made throughout the game. We started off playing a lot of zone coverage and relying on our front 4 to get home. After those first two series we switched up to playing more Cover 1 and bringing an extra rusher. Started playing some 2 Man in obvious passing situations. Then switched to playing true 0 and bringing the house in key situations. None of it worked because we couldn't win up front.

Adjustments are being made in every game - it's hard to recognize if you don't know what you're looking for - but they're definitely being made.

Fair.  I've said before and I'll freely acknowledge, I struggle to see what's really happening on the field as far as coverage from the TV broadcast.  I can see things, but I need all-22 and sometimes several watches.  

One thing I think I saw repeatedly throughout the game, though, was the Bengals using motion to pull the D out of position and then running into the gap their motion helped to create.  Now, it may be that if the front were solid, that wouldn't have mattered, I don't know.  And it could be more a function of who we had in the backfield, not being able to play as a unit and adjust correctly when one defender moved.  But I saw the Dolphins do this, and I saw the Bengals do this, and we didn't seem to have an effective answer. 

Maybe there wasn't an effective answer available with the personnel we had on the field.

You kind of hint at agreement with that when you mention the limitations the D faced by losing Hyde, then Hamlin.  Marlowe didn't cut it, and when Jaquan Johnson came in (roughly half the game) then Poyer went out, it was defensively over.

Do you disagree with this?

"One perception (or misperception) that I have, is that McDermott/Frazier's scheme depends upon having a couple of key pieces.

One is the piece Star Lotulelei was supposed to be but wasn't, but DaQuan Jones was, this season: the huge man who can hold the point of attack and move it back to anchor.  Those guys seem hard to find, and hard to have capable backups for.  Tim Settle was not that guy."

1 minute ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

Where is it being reported that his contract has expired? 

I would like to know this also, as I have searched and can not find information to this point.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

23 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Steve Wilks or Brian Flores.

Wilks’ has shown versatility as a DC, players love him, and he worked for McDermott, so I think we will have better continuity.

I am huge Flores fan and I think his attacking style and versatility would be a welcome change.  

If we move on from Frazier, Wilks is who I would expect.  Word is Panthers really want an offensive minded HC.

2 hours ago, HoofHearted said:

1. We play way more 3 and Quarters than we do true Cover 2.

2. The Eagles aren't having any issues stopping good offenses running the exact same scheme.

I get it, fans over-react and want to point blame at someone. We got beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball. You can't overcome that regardless of the scheme.

Finally. Someone who watched the same football game I did. 

1 hour ago, HoofHearted said:

Which is exactly what we do now, but out of a four man front. Run a bunch of stunts/games up front and disguise (when we have our guys who have been in the system healthy) coverages on the back end. When those vets go out it limits what we can do as far as pre-snap alignments to disguise looks. Our defensive line is built around creating penetration, not holding gaps like Fangio's system requires. It would need to be a wholesale change in that room in order for his scheme to work.

I hope you have better luck getting this message across then I have. You are 100% on the money. 

• Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.