Who is your choice for DC?

Buffalo03

5 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

I never said you needed all-elite defensive line. You do need to be able to hold up against the run and be able to rush the passer. When Daquon is not in we get gashed in the run game because we have guys who just penetrate and create lanes instead of holding gap integrity. When Von went out our pass rush disappeared. This isn't something earth shattering - we haven't been good in either category since Schwartz was the DC - but that's not a scheme issue it's a personnel issue.

One simple thing - we got punched in the mouth and just took it. We lost the game in the trenches. There was zero push by either offensive or defensively line in the run game and we allowed the Bengals to affect our QB more than we affected theirs. This game isn't complicated. If you can't win in the trenches you can't win the game.

Totally agree with that, but why did it happen? Didn’t really happen to us all season long during the regular season

In my opinion, and I guess I’m gonna go to the grave with it. I believe this team was emotionally spent what happened to Hamlin was devastating. And while some think that it was inspirational for him to be around the team after the tragic event, I think it cost the team and focus. I also think that it caused the team. of this is the game right before it in Miami that team came out at the beginning of that game and looked absolutely dominant and then fell straight flat and barely won the game. I think they were just used up. Emotionally I mean how many times in your life do you see a teammate die on the field and then have to be resuscitated

Somebody that can teach professional football players how to tackle would be a good hire. Tackling has been sub par for a couple seasons now.

Somebody who doesn't run a passive defense that allows WR's to roam free.

Somebody who is more creative than running the nickel defense on seemingly every play ... mix it up a little, especially against teams that run the ball well.

If Somebody exists, hire him... Perfect timing for Frazier's contract to come to an end, time to go in another direction.

• Agree 2

4 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

I never said you needed all-elite defensive line. You do need to be able to hold up against the run and be able to rush the passer. When Daquon is not in we get gashed in the run game because we have guys who just penetrate and create lanes instead of holding gap integrity. When Von went out our pass rush disappeared. This isn't something earth shattering - we haven't been good in either category since Schwartz was the DC - but that's not a scheme issue it's a personnel issue.

One simple thing - we got punched in the mouth and just took it. We lost the game in the trenches. There was zero push by either offensive or defensively line in the run game and we allowed the Bengals to affect our QB more than we affected theirs. This game isn't complicated. If you can't win in the trenches you can't win the game.

One perception (or misperception) that I have, is that McDermott/Frazier's scheme depends upon having a couple of key pieces.

One is the piece Star Lotulelei was supposed to be but wasn't, but DaQuan Jones was, this season: the huge man who can hold the point of attack and move it back to anchor.  Those guys seem hard to find, and hard to have capable backups for.  Tim Settle was not that guy.

The other perception I have is that a lot of the run gashing occurred because the Bengals (like the Dolphins) used motion to pull our guys out of position and we didn't make the appropriate adjustments.  Maybe that works with guys who can complete each other's sentences like Poyer and Hyde, but when you get down to 2nd and 3rd string it just doesn't.

I don't know.  Part of me says we just lost too many guys and had too many playing hurt to be effective, and part of me says we've been solved and don't have a counter.

I do think it's a significant gap for Leslie Frazier that, unlike Lou Anarumo, he doesn't seem well able to adjust in-game

• Like (+1) 1

I’m for whoever coaches up the defensive line to play to their potential.  Provide consistent pressure up front, helps the defensive backs do their jobs.  First couple games this year showed that.

That is contingent on aggressive play by the defensive backfield. No longer play 10 yards off the WR. Hit them coming off the line.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Resources in the draft and UFA have been devoted for several seasons now on the DL.  Lots of money spent there overseen by the HC.

As to the run defense, it began unraveling mid-season when they had everyone aside in the front 7:

Game 7 vs. GB: 208 yards on 31 carries

Game 8 at NYJ: 174 yards on 34 carries

Game 9 vs. MIN: 147 yards on 25 carries

Game 14 vs MIA: 188 yards on 25 carries

Something is amiss in how they run this scheme, which is irksome considering how much they invest there and supposed depth.  Many teams may run that scheme, but it doesn't require a 8-9 man DL rotation like McD's does.  

You are correct, there's been lots of money and draft capital spent on the DL over the years, and the issues haven't been resolved. That's where the gripes on this board should be. As far as the run defense during that span - those teams were all running a bunch of gap scheme against us and having a ton of success because our defensive line wasn't playing gap sound. They'd either get reached or run themselves out of the play by getting washed, but DaQuon was about the only one who consistently commanded a double team and was able to hold it. This was compounded by a bunch of young guys on the backend either not triggering fast enough or miss-fitting the run - mostly Bernard/Jaquan Johnson. I posted about a lot of the issues during that stretch.

The rotation is a McDermott philosophical thing which I get in principle, but it seems like too many times in key situations our "dudes" aren't the ones out on the field.

• Like (+1) 2

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Totally agree with that, but why did it happen? Didn’t really happen to us all season long during the regular season

In my opinion, and I guess I’m gonna go to the grave with it. I believe this team was emotionally spent what happened to Hamlin was devastating. And while some think that it was inspirational for him to be around the team after the tragic event, I think it cost the team and focus. I also think that it caused the team. of this is the game right before it in Miami that team came out at the beginning of that game and looked absolutely dominant and then fell straight flat and barely won the game. I think they were just used up. Emotionally I mean how many times in your life do you see a teammate die on the field and then have to be resuscitated

Our offensive line has been an issue all year long that has been masked somewhat by what Josh Allen can ad-lib. Our defensive line, for the most part are penetrators (smaller/agile/quicker), who do not hold up at the point of attack if they get engaged. Jordan Phillips, for example, has this persona on here of being a plugger - he's not - he's just a 340lb. penetrating defensive linemen who gets too tall often and gets moved because of it. Our guys admitted to it after the Packers game - they all have a pass rush mentality. Working pass rush moves vs the run gets you beat.

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

One perception (or misperception) that I have, is that McDermott/Frazier's scheme depends upon having a couple of key pieces.

One is the piece Star Lotulelei was supposed to be but wasn't, but DaQuan Jones was, this season: the huge man who can hold the point of attack and move it back to anchor.  Those guys seem hard to find, and hard to have capable backups for.  Tim Settle was not that guy.

The other perception I have is that a lot of the run gashing occurred because the Bengals (like the Dolphins) used motion to pull our guys out of position and we didn't make the appropriate adjustments.  Maybe that works with guys who can complete each other's sentences like Poyer and Hyde, but when you get down to 2nd and 3rd string it just doesn't.

I don't know.  Part of me says we just lost too many guys and had too many playing hurt to be effective, and part of me says we've been solved and don't have a counter.

I do think it's a significant gap for Leslie Frazier that, unlike Lou Anarumo, he doesn't seem well able to adjust in-game

I don't agree with this. You can see the adjustments that were made throughout the game. We started off playing a lot of zone coverage and relying on our front 4 to get home. After those first two series we switched up to playing more Cover 1 and bringing an extra rusher. Started playing some 2 Man in obvious passing situations. Then switched to playing true 0 and bringing the house in key situations. None of it worked because we couldn't win up front.

Adjustments are being made in every game - it's hard to recognize if you don't know what you're looking for - but they're definitely being made.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

55 minutes ago, NewEra said:

On the surface-  that’s true, but the basis of Fangios D is cover 2 shell to prevent big plays.  His tinkering up front with different looks and stunts keeps the O second guessing.  He plays a lot of 4-3 under

Looking at our personnel, I don’t think it’s a 3 year fix.  Ed (who might be gone anyway)and Rousseau can both play 3-4 end.  Hell, Rousseau might be able to play SLB too.  Basham and AJ are JAGS and won’t be on the team in 2-3 years.  Von is at his best playing 3-4 OLB.  

getting a DC of his caliber is well worth a year or two of figuring things out.  Our best SB window is closed.  We’ll have many chances in the future, but next year isn’t a do or die season imo.  Josh has several more seasons.  Let’s right the ship NOW and retool with coaches that have the ability to win us a title.  Fangio is the best in the business and worth an off year or 2 in the defensive side of the ball.  It’s not like our defense ever comes to play when we need them to

This is pretty much where I am at,  the UFA WR class is not good and I don't expect whoever any of our draft choices are to start or contribute in a meaningful way in season 1. 

we arent narrowing rhe gap between KC or Cin this offseason and the teams below us who are close to catching us will be closer. If there is a season to take a flyer to retool and clean some cap up, this one might be it. I don't want to spin wheels.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

I really like Greg Williams CB coach of the Arizona Cardinals, He has done a great job with very little to work with in the secondary so he should have no trouble with our group imo.

I don't know anything about this person, but he spells his first name correctly so that's a very good first step.  Works for me.

16 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

I’m for whoever coaches up the defensive line to play to their potential.  Provide consistent pressure up front, helps the defensive backs do their jobs.  First couple games this year showed that.

That is contingent on aggressive play by the defensive backfield. No longer play 10 yards off the WR. Hit them coming off the line.

I don't think a lot of people recognize how contingent that is on who you have in at those Safety positions. Losing Hyde hurt - there was considerable drop off with Jaquon Johnson in there - Demar started coming into his own when he took it over and you saw improvements in what we could call and how we could disguise looks each week but then he went out. If you're not a starter you're hardly getting any reps - it forces your hand to play more vanilla when you are having to start guys who don't regularly get reps throughout the week.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Resources in the draft and UFA have been devoted for several seasons now on the DL.  Lots of money spent there overseen by the HC.

As to the run defense, it began unraveling mid-season when they had everyone good  in the front 7:

Game 7 vs. GB: 208 yards on 31 carries

Game 8 at NYJ: 174 yards on 34 carries

Game 9 vs. MIN: 147 yards on 25 carries

Game 14 vs MIA: 188 yards on 25 carries

Something is amiss in how they run this scheme, which is irksome considering how much they invest there and supposed depth.  Many teams may run that scheme, but it doesn't require a 8-9 man DL rotation like McD's does.  

The results of the DL rotations have not been good enought to justify the investment there, at least with the investments we have made amd the lack of development of the players. I'm not sure if it is simple as coaching or just missing on the evaluations and looking for intangibles and scheme fits....

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.