Who is your choice for DC?

Buffalo03

38 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

The real question is — will McDermott be willing to play a defensive scheme other than his own Cover 2, zone heavy scheme that doesn’t work against good offenses?

If he’s unwilling to change, we will end up with another Leslie Frazier who is probably less experienced and talented than Leslie Frazier.

I agree. Except I think he has been running mostly Cover 3. 

32 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

1. We play way more 3 and Quarters than we do true Cover 2.

2. The Eagles aren't having any issues stopping good offenses running the exact same scheme.

I get it, fans over-react and want to point blame at someone. We got beat in the trenches on both sides of the ball. You can't overcome that regardless of the scheme.

I think there is room to upgrade/replace both coordinators. 

But I am really frustrated with the FO that we are in this position. I just don't get how we got so tight against the cap and so many draft picks that have just been role players. We can replace all the coordinators we want, but it doesn't change the fact that we have neglected WR and OL for 4 years and gotten no return on a billion draft picks spent on DL. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

47 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Leslie Frazier's contract is now up and if McDermott and Beane are smart, he will not be resigned. I personally would like Vic Fangio. He had solid defenses in San Francisco and Chicago when he was with both teams. He's older but would be one of my top choices

Fangio’s scheme is 3-4 also he’s interviewing in Miami today

Just now, HoofHearted said:

That's every scheme my guy. If you don't win in the trenches you don't win period.

Teams can be successful without all elite players. And finding an all-elite defensive line is not gonna happen quickly either.

But your narrative........................... Somehow seems to be that we need to keep everything the same but we (magically?) Turn our D-line into studs? I don't see how that makes you right and me wrong🤔

Maybe we are both wrong idk... And I get you want to defend your position, but that's just, like, your opinion, man. And it's no better than mine.

45 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

The real question is — will McDermott be willing to play a defensive scheme other than his own Cover 2, zone heavy scheme that doesn’t work against good offenses?

If he’s unwilling to change, we will end up with another Leslie Frazier who is probably less experienced and talented than Leslie Frazier.

All this talk of this doesn’t work and that doesn’t work

This team went 13 and three this year, with a very competitive schedule in the regular season

The real question that needs to be asked is what happened to us in this last game because they came out flat ass. *****.

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, NewEra said:

On the surface-  that’s true, but the basis of Fangios D is cover 2 shell to prevent big plays.  His tinkering up front with different looks and stunts keeps the O second guessing.  He plays a lot of 4-3 under

Looking at our personnel, I don’t think it’s a 3 year fix.  Ed (who might be gone anyway)and Rousseau can both play 3-4 end.  Hell, Rousseau might be able to play SLB too.  Basham and AJ are JAGS and won’t be on the team in 2-3 years.  Von is at his best playing 3-4 OLB.  

getting a DC of his caliber is well worth a year or two of figuring things out.  Our best SB window is closed.  We’ll have many chances in the future, but next year isn’t a do or die season imo.  Josh has several more seasons.  Let’s right the ship NOW and retool with coaches that have the ability to win us a title.  Fangio is the best in the business and worth an off year or 2 in the defensive side of the ball.  It’s not like our defense ever comes to play when we need them to

Which is exactly what we do now, but out of a four man front. Run a bunch of stunts/games up front and disguise (when we have our guys who have been in the system healthy) coverages on the back end. When those vets go out it limits what we can do as far as pre-snap alignments to disguise looks. Our defensive line is built around creating penetration, not holding gaps like Fangio's system requires. It would need to be a wholesale change in that room in order for his scheme to work.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

This team went 13 and three this year, with a very competitive schedule in the regular season

The real question that needs to be asked is what happened to us in this last game because they came out flat ass. *****.

After the Jets game, the Bills won 8 straight.  But they could have just as easily lost all 8.  For a team with SB dreams, they should have been able to have won at least some weeks easily.  It's not just the last game.

So while I agree with you the team did win 13 games, it's also a bit suspect as to how they won them all and would be worried that they could repeat that without more bigger changes.  Think the truth is somewhere in between.

#1:  Joe Whitt Jr. (Cowboys, DPC)

#2:  Deshea Townsend (Jaguars, DPC, Cornerbacks)

Generally, I'm looking for the motivated, hungry assistant that has a track record in effectively defending the passing game.

I don't want a DC with a strategy that has been long figured out.  (Jim Schwartz)  

I think the Bills have plenty of talent on defense.  I'd invest in strategy over new players.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Buffalo03 said:

Leslie Frazier's contract is now up and if McDermott and Beane are smart, he will not be resigned. I personally would like Vic Fangio. He had solid defenses in San Francisco and Chicago when he was with both teams. He's older but would be one of my top choices

TBH, I haven't been tracking the duration of Leslie Frazier's contract, much less who is available.

It's a very good question

I do know that I do NOT want any coach who has been predominantly coaching a 3-4 scheme because I don't want to see us take the several years it would take to change personnel.

So by this light, Joe Whitt from the Cowboys maybe OK because they run a 4-3 (and I think, a lot of nickle) but the Jags I'm pretty sure are a 3-4 team - we saw that movie before.

5 minutes ago, dpberr said:

#1:  Joe Whitt Jr. (Cowboys, DPC)

#2:  Deshea Townsend (Jaguars, DPC, Cornerbacks)

Generally, I'm looking for the motivated, hungry assistant that has a track record in effectively defending the passing game.

Edited by Beck Water

9 minutes ago, Heavy Kevi said:

Teams can be successful without all elite players. And finding an all-elite defensive line is not gonna happen quickly either.

But your narrative........................... Somehow seems to be that we need to keep everything the same but we (magically?) Turn our D-line into studs? I don't see how that makes you right and me wrong🤔

Maybe we are both wrong idk... And I get you want to defend your position, but that's just, like, your opinion, man. And it's no better than mine.

I never said you needed all-elite defensive line. You do need to be able to hold up against the run and be able to rush the passer. When Daquon is not in we get gashed in the run game because we have guys who just penetrate and create lanes instead of holding gap integrity. When Von went out our pass rush disappeared. This isn't something earth shattering - we haven't been good in either category since Schwartz was the DC - but that's not a scheme issue it's a personnel issue.

9 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

One simple thing - we got punched in the mouth and just took it. We lost the game in the trenches. There was zero push by either offensive or defensively line in the run game and we allowed the Bengals to affect our QB more than we affected theirs. This game isn't complicated. If you can't win in the trenches you can't win the game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

53 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Again, the Eagles aren't having any problems running the same defensive scheme. The difference is they have DUDES across their defensive line and we don't.

Resources in the draft and UFA have been devoted for several seasons now on the DL.  Lots of money spent there overseen by the HC.

As to the run defense, it began unraveling mid-season when they had everyone good  in the front 7:

Game 7 vs. GB: 208 yards on 31 carries

Game 8 at NYJ: 174 yards on 34 carries

Game 9 vs. MIN: 147 yards on 25 carries

Game 14 vs MIA: 188 yards on 25 carries

Something is amiss in how they run this scheme, which is irksome considering how much they invest there and supposed depth.  Many teams may run that scheme, but it doesn't require a 8-9 man DL rotation like McD's does.  

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 4

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.