Who is your choice for DC?

Buffalo03

2 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Again, the Eagles aren't having any problems running the same defensive scheme. The difference is they have DUDES across their defensive line and we don't.

Exactly. From what I understand (which is not much), the Bills D requires really high level play from the safeties in both the pass and run game. When Hyde went out, our D took a serious hit. Then when Hamlin went out and we had to play Marlowe it was too much to overcome. Also, in general our team lacks a level of nastiness that the Eagles have in spades. No one fears playing the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Rigotz said:

The real question is — will McDermott be willing to play a defensive scheme other than his own Cover 2, zone heavy scheme that doesn’t work against good offenses?

If he’s unwilling to change, we will end up with another Leslie Frazier who is probably less experienced and talented than Leslie Frazier.

I’ve already gone on record.  If Frazier is not retained, they will promote someone on the staff, who will then just be a puppet to McD and his crappy scheme. 

7 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

I don’t really care.  After some time to digest what happened on Sunday, I think the right plan is to focus on the offense.  As bad as the defense was, we win if we put up 30 points.  The offense was too disjointed a large part of the season and relied on Josh being super-human to score points.  

The Bengals took their foot off the gas. No telling how many points they would have scored, but it would have been more than 27. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Any scheme that relies on the DL consistently winning their battles will have problems, unless everyone on the front is great and stays healthy. I want a DC who knows how to scheme X’s and O’s, who utilizes his “chess pieces” to the best of his ability. Chiefs fans complain about Spags, but I’d take a DC like him any day over Frazier. Same with Lou A in Cinci. We need disruption, a defense that doesn’t sit back and react, but one that attacks. It’d all be fine and dandy if Beane had knocked it outta the park with his two 1st rounders, two second rounders, and slew of FAs, but the only blue chip piece we have on the line is a soon to be 34 year old coming off an ACL injury. That’s sobering. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BBills_88 said:

Someone young, innovative and adaptable. Someone who knows how to get the players in the right position to be successful and maximize their talent. 

This team needs experienced coordinators. With the still (cracked) open window of opportunity, we can't take risks on up and coming coordinators. They could turn out to be disasters like Hackett. 

For the D, i would look for a good past DC who was a poor HC. (Example Dan Quinn)

• Agree 1

20 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

You'd be starting completely over defensively with that hire. Everyone complaining about wasting Josh's window - you're talking a 2-3 year transition from a personnel standpoint with a move like that.

A new hire would certainly run a similar scheme, that's McD's style, he's not all of a sudden going 3-4.  Seems like the play calling is more of the issue- and a lack of aggressiveness.

29 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

You'd be starting completely over defensively with that hire. Everyone complaining about wasting Josh's window - you're talking a 2-3 year transition from a personnel standpoint with a move like that.

On the surface-  that’s true, but the basis of Fangios D is cover 2 shell to prevent big plays.  His tinkering up front with different looks and stunts keeps the O second guessing.  He plays a lot of 4-3 under

Looking at our personnel, I don’t think it’s a 3 year fix.  Ed (who might be gone anyway)and Rousseau can both play 3-4 end.  Hell, Rousseau might be able to play SLB too.  Basham and AJ are JAGS and won’t be on the team in 2-3 years.  Von is at his best playing 3-4 OLB.  

getting a DC of his caliber is well worth a year or two of figuring things out.  Our best SB window is closed.  We’ll have many chances in the future, but next year isn’t a do or die season imo.  Josh has several more seasons.  Let’s right the ship NOW and retool with coaches that have the ability to win us a title.  Fangio is the best in the business and worth an off year or 2 in the defensive side of the ball.  It’s not like our defense ever comes to play when we need them to

Edited by NewEra
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Nothing is going to happen to Frazier.

This ownership and fanbase views the current regime and coaches as saviors. Saints. For ending a playoff drought. Whoop dee doo.

They fail to recognize that the drafting of Josh Allen and departure of Tom Brady has anything to do with it.

Board members and my grandmother could coach the Josh Allen Bills to 10 wins per year.

• Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, HoofHearted said:

Again, the Eagles aren't having any problems running the same defensive scheme. The difference is they have DUDES across their defensive line and we don't.

So we need elite players to execute this scheme? Sounds daunting. 

Maybe a scheme that doesn't completely rely on having a dominant D-line? 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.