Do you still trust the defense at all?

Sharky7337

Do you still trust the following-  

153 members have voted

1. 1. The overall defense in crucial moments?

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  2. 2. The defensive gameplans in critical moments

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided
  3. 3. The defensive coaching, talent evaluation, player development

• Yes
    • No
    • Undecided

I voted No across the board.  This is not a Super Bowl caliber Defense.  Go and watch San Francisco's Defense.  That's a championship Defense.  With that said the Bills bread and butter was supposed to be an Offensive juggernaut and if that materializes you can still go far with an alright Defense but we got exposed on both sides last weekend.  

• Agree 2

I trust the players

I don't trust the defensive scheme they're put in

( I also suspect players themselves didn't trust the scheme, but it was ok as long as they were winning ; I think this year was the last players year of "ok I will blindly trust this thing", and without any big change, next year will be the start of loosing the lockeroom at some early? point )

Edited by Repulsif
  • Agree 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I don't trust ANY defense. 

Why? Times have changed.

Today's great QBs lead offenses that will beat ANY defense. It's a combination of rules and also how dynamic these young guys are. 

Go back and watch games even from the early 2000's. Almost every QB hit from back then would be roughing the passer now. You used to be able to hold WR a bit and get away with it. Now any little fingertip on a WR is holding or illegal contact or DPI. 

Also, most top QBs from the 2000's could barely move. Big Ben could move a little, but Peyton, Eli, Brady never were super athletic in that way. Today's top guys are FAR more athletic. 

Couple that with the refs swallowing whistles in the playoffs, except for DPI and RTP. OL hold every play, knowing they might get docked once or twice but not over and over again.

Great QB with a few great weapons will move the ball and score points on any defense these days. If you're up 4 against any of these top QBs with under 2:00 to go it's a loss. 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Nope. Whenever they play good teams with good offenses they get exposed as frauds. After 13 seconds how could anyone trust this defense. Look at the Vikings game as an example. Up 27-10 with a minute left in the 3rd quarter and they couldn't protect the lead. 

• Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Repulsif said:

I trust the players

I don't trust the defensive scheme they're put in

( I also suspect players themselves didn't trust the scheme, but it was ok as long as they were winning ; I think this year was the last players year of "ok I will blindly trust this thing", and without any big change next year will be the start of loosing the lockroom at some early? point )

Yep. It’s coming.

Year after year it seems we hear...if the defense only had this player or that player. Its not all on the players, playoffs are 1 game and if you don't win you go home, and evey year Frazier gets outschemed and has no counter punch during the game. If chiefs game last year didn't prove that fact, this Bengals game sure did. He trusts his soft defense so much he refuses to even try anything else. After the Bengals went up 14, anyone could see that defense wasn't going to work against that team and what answers did Leslie have. To do the same exact thing the whole game hoping there offense makes a mistake. The Bengals smelled fear as soon as we showed we were willing to back off 9 yards on there receivers. How many more years is Beane going to believe it's the players fault on defense instead of actually telling his two Defensive minded coaches who lead this team, it's not good enough. The NFL evolves every year but this team most certainly on the defensive side of the ball doesn't.

Edited by BillzFreak
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

Year after year it seems we hear...if the defense only had this player or that player. Its not all on the players, playoffs are 1 game and if you don't win you go home, and evey year Frazier gets outschemed and has no counter punch during the game. If chiefs game last year didn't prove that fact, this Bengals game sure did. He trusts his soft defense so much he refuses to even try anything else. After the Bengals went up 14, anyone could see that defense wasn't going to work against that team and what answers did Leslie have. To do the same exact thing the whole game hoping there offense makes a mistake. The Bengals smelled fear as soon as we showed we were willing to back off 9 yards on there receivers. How many more years is Beane going to believe it's the players fault on defense instead of actually telling his two Defensive minded coaches who lead this team, it's not good enough. The NFL evolves every year but this team most certainly on the defensive side of the ball doesn't.

Please explain in detail what the counter punch is to getting out-physicalled on the defensive line all game? What are you doing schematically to overcome that?

No.

This defense has been fully exposed, and Frazier's play calling on crucial moments has been so bad it's not even defensable (pardon the pun). Playing soft zones, off on coverage, not bringing pressure even when it works, etcetera.

And this is the year to make big changes. 3 years running the defense ***** the bed in the playoffs. At the most important time. Why is this the best time for new coaching/scheme? Well in my opinion it's the fact that

Po is likely gone, Hyde on the backside of his career.

Young guys benford and elam could get some good coaching even if the scheme changes they are young enough.

1 year contracts on the D-line of Phillips and Lawson are expired.

Big decisions to make on Edmunds.

Who starts at corner? Tre has looked average and between Johnson, Dane Jackson, elam, and benford, we have no idea who starts.

Long and short of it is there will be tons of changes to this defense from a personnel standpoint, so it would be the right time to bring in a new DC and scheme. Chances of Frazier getting a HC gig seem to have dried up but he can be fired. With a dynamic offense, a complimentary defense would be far more aggressive, focused on big plays and turnovers. We have been this "bend but don't break" defense unders Frazier but unfortunately, it broke too often to even be considered as such. 

• Agree 1

Emphatic NO

Emphatic NO

Development?.. Undecided:

The DL has been an abject disaster in terms of scouting/development. 

This staff is pretty good at elevating secondary play to this point.  However, this year showed that may have been more due to Hyde/Poyer than anything else.   That said, Hyde & Poyer weren't "Hyde and Poyer" until they came here. 

The fact we're even asking this question, when we were the only team in the Divisional Round with a Defensive HC is so unbelievably frustrating. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

Maybe week one we had all the talent and optimism but come playoffs we were decimated with injuries and playing the absolute best of the best.   Not trying to be a total apologist and I think there were mistakes made coaching.  It's possible we had our worst game at the worst time but these coaches have us in a SB hunt and this game ins't representative of our usual showing.  31 teams end their season this way and several of them are usually pretty damn good.  I know I'll get flamed for this and everyone is head hunting but I like what we've got.  They need to expand and add wrinkles and get it right at the right times but I still think they are capable more times than not.

• Agree 1

I’ve never trusted this defence.

It was hard to argue with the results they had in the regular season over the years, but time and time again they choke in the playoffs 

2019- Blew a 16 point lead in the 3rd against Houston 

2020- Got steam rolled by KC

2021- Steam rolled again and couldn’t stop 13 seconds

2022- No answer against 3 backup o lineman in bad weather 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.