The Bills can't afford DeAndre Hopkins

Inigo Montoya

There is a lot of talk on the boards the last few days about Beane going out and trading for DeAndre Hopkins.  He will be 31 this upcoming season and I still think he has some gas left in the tank.  As much as I want to see another legitimate offensive threat on the field besides Diggs, the truth of the matter is that the Bills just can't afford him.

Diggs 2023 contract pays him $20.2mm

Diggs 2024 contract pays him $26.5mm

Hopkins 2023 contract pays him $22.6mm

Hopkins 2024 contract pays him $11.3mm

There is no way the Bills can afford to sink $40+mm into the WR position this season with Josh and Von's contract also on the books.  We are too tight against the cap for that to happen.  You also have to think about the draft capital the Bills would have to give up to get him.  Trading draft picks, i.e. inexpensive rookie contracts, to sign an expensive veteran will make the cap situation worse, not better.  If Beane needs to plug in more young and cheap contributors to this roster to manage the cap, the worst thing he could do would be to deal away his draft picks.

While we would all love to see WR1 Diggs, WR2 Hopkins, WR3 Davis, WR4 Shakir, it is simply not going to happen.  After next season D-Hop's contract becomes more manageable at $11mm, but he will be another year older and with his more reasonable contract numbers I'd be surprised if the Cardinals move on from him at that point if he's still on the roster.

When people here debate what Beane should do this offseason, they need to be realistic and accept that signing any $20mm veteran WR simply isn't in the cards.

Edited by Inigo Montoya

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.