McDermott a finalist for COTY

Roundybout

2 hours ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Because this team dealt with things that were also outside of expectations, and still finished 13-3.  Obviously didn’t win the Super Bowl, but there were other unexpected factors at play too.

Every team "dealt with things that were also outside of expectations"

3 hours ago, Roundybout said:
But please, let’s fire him. 

I'm strongly in favor of not firing McDermott, but let's be honest.  He's a COY candidate because one of his players was severely injured on the field.  He's not being nominated because of his team's success, and the way our season ended pretty much eliminated any real chance he might have had of winning a sympathy award.

3 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I'm good with keeping McDermott, if he can acknowledge the deficiencies in Defensive scheme and Offensive scheme. I'd prefer to let Frazier and Dorsey go and get more innovative on both sides of the ball and he does need to do better with managing in-game situations. That said, he's done a lot for the team over the last six years and I can see that value. Plus, how he's handled the adversity of the snow game, Hamlin, etc. showed solid leadership. It's just the football side of things I have my concerns regarding those aforementioned decisions.

I'm sorry but it's like saying ok we'll keep John, his office work is meh to trash at important deadlines, but it's a fun guy and always serviceable

for COTY :

Sirirani has elevated a good team to a great team and elevated a questionnable QB to a top one in the scheme they run

Shanahan, despite a rough start : QB1 down, no problem, QB2 down ? no problem. A better version of MacVay + Geoff, great defense

Daboll : seems a good motivator AND scheming with his team strengths

3 minutes ago, Repulsif said:

I'm sorry but it's like saying ok we'll keep John, his office work is meh to trash at important deadlines, but it's a fun guy and always serviceable

for COTY :

Sirirani has elevated a good team to a great team and elevated a questionnable QB to a top one in the scheme they run

Shanahan, despite a rough start : QB1 down, no problem, QB2 down ? no problem. A better version of MacVay + Geoff, great defense

Daboll : seems a good motivator AND scheming with his team strengths

Yep, 100% spot on. Even lovable Kramer got fired on Seinfeld from that downtown office job, and he wasn't even on the payroll! LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Gugny said:

Shanahan, hands down. It should be unanimous. 

I'd vote Daboll. He had a lot, and I mean a lot, less to work with.

4 hours ago, ArtVandalay said:

Dick Jauron was coach of the year in 2001 with a 13-3 record. 

Marty Schottenheimer in 2004.

Marvin Lewis in 2009.

Lovie Smith in 2005.

Those were winners, not finalists. 

What does that have to do with McDermott?

1 minute ago, MJS said:

I'd vote Daboll. He had a lot, and I mean a lot, less to work with.

When this question first came up, I said I'd be fine with either Daboll or Shanahan; but that I think Shanahan deserves it more.  I still feel the same way.

Daboll winning it would be well warranted and I'd be happy for the fluffy fella.

To me this award should go to who did the most with the least.  I thought McD should have won it his first year. This year I think Daboll deserves it.  He took a garbage team with some talent but not a lot, added some Bills cast off players, and made it to the division game.  That was pretty impressive IMO.

11 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

Did every team watch their teammate get resuscitated on the field and need their head coach to lead them through that?

By lead the team you mean not show up the rest of the year? Escape NE with 2 kick returns, escape Skylar Thompson by the skin of your teeth, get destroyed by Cinci? 

The team crumbled in the fallout from Damar.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

I'm good with keeping McDermott, if he can acknowledge the deficiencies in Defensive scheme and Offensive scheme. I'd prefer to let Frazier and Dorsey go and get more innovative on both sides of the ball and he does need to do better with managing in-game situations. That said, he's done a lot for the team over the last six years and I can see that value. Plus, how he's handled the adversity of the snow game, Hamlin, etc. showed solid leadership. It's just the football side of things I have my concerns regarding those aforementioned decisions.

Get rid of him.  He doesn't trust rookies, even when they are clearly the best players on the field.  What are you doing sitting Elam over Dane Jackson?  WHY?  He's a liar and a fraud as well.  MULTIPLE players talked about how they ran out of gas and had no "juice" and this (*^*&%^$^#has the AUDACITY to sit in front of a camera and say he thought the energy was good.  My ***** wife who doesn't watch football, even hates it, mentioned that the team looks slow, lazy, and low energy.  That says a lot to me.  Dude is a liar.

2 hours ago, BillsFanSD said:

I'm strongly in favor of not firing McDermott, but let's be honest.  He's a COY candidate because one of his players was severely injured on the field.  He's not being nominated because of his team's success, and the way our season ended pretty much eliminated any real chance he might have had of winning a sympathy award.

The Bills were the best team in NFL through the entirety of the regular season. He's not being nominated because of his team's success?

5 hours ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m not voting for McD until he walks up to the microphone to announce that Frazier has been fired. 

Ok, but you don't get a vote though. 

Wtf? Lmfao. So therefore what you would or wouldn't do is irrelevant to whether McDermott gets votes or not for COTY.

You think the national media is thinking anything like you are, my guess is they are not. Otherwise he wouldn't be in the final 5 coaches remaining when his team was the odds on favorite to win the Super Bowl. All they remember is a 13-3 record and all the crap the team had to go through this year and how he handled it. Especially the Damar injury and the days that followed.

Edited by LOVEMESOMEBILLS

6 hours ago, BigBuff423 said:

So you’re good with keeping him as long as he admits he sucks? 

I guess we are still giving out participation trophies for feel good stories. There is no way in hell he should be in contention when he was out coached 3x times by and inferior Miami team, 2x by the jets. Had a complete collapse vs the Vikings and ***** his pants at home in the divisional round. What a joke. He’s not even close to a top 10 coach in the league and I will name them if you really want to be that close minded. 

6 hours ago, Gugny said:

Shanahan, hands down. It should be unanimous. 

I'd say Daboll. That team was nothing. Shanahan was in the NFC Championship game last year.  Daboll even did one better than McD his first year and win a wildcard game.  

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.