Jim Kubiak analysis in The Buffalo News (paywall) - the Bills o-line was horrible

dave mcbride

It was the Jags game last year without the 3 turnovers and with a much better offense on the other side. Or for another example watch Mahomes against the Buccaneers in the Super Bowl. Any offense becomes dysfunctional when the OL is getting beaten that badly on most plays.

Another thing that frustrates me about this article is it made me realize how stale our defense has become. Frazier's scheme has gotten figured out and easy to counter. Lou Anurumo's versatile scheme had us reeling all game long.

Playoff games are won in the trenches and in coaching. We were totally outmatched in both on offense and defense.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 21
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

21 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Playoff games are won in the trenches and in coaching. We were totally outmatched in both on offense and defense.

Our expensive defensive line was controlled by an O-line with 3 subs, including a third stringer, and the best player on the Cinci line [Karras] was playing hurt.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Sad 1
  • Agree 3

34 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

It was the Jags game last year without the 3 turnovers and with a much better offense on the other side. Or for another example watch Mahomes against the Buccaneers in the Super Bowl. Any offense becomes dysfunctional when the OL is getting beaten that badly on most plays.

Another thing that frustrates me about this article is it made me realize how stale our defense has become. Frazier's scheme has gotten figured out and easy to counter. Lou Anurumo's versatile scheme had us reeling all game long.

Unfortunately it's going to take being lapped in our own division for the owners to do anything proactively about it - they're going to give a lot of rope.

7 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I don’t know what more Allen can do honestly. He’s the only player I ever forgive for this offense 

Agreed.  We're never going to know what Allen is capable of until they fix the OL.  Can you imagine Brady playing behind this hot garbage?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Agreed.  We're never going to know what Allen is capable of until they fix the OL.  Can you imagine Brady playing behind this hot garbage?

This scheme/philosophy does the O-Line no favors.  Could you imagine Josh playing for Shanahan?  It wouldn’t even be fair.  Get this man a power running game and stop asking him to be super-man on every damn play.  

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

17 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

we saw it last year in the playoffs what he can do with the right OC and decent OL

19 minutes ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

I don’t know what more Allen can do honestly. He’s the only player I ever forgive for this offense 

I'm actually going to dispute this. He could stop taking 7-step drops behind an OL that can't pass block. Josh Allen could also stop trying to throw bombs in the snow and take the short passes. I should probably put this in its own thread, but I'm not a thread starter. I think that the way Josh Allen plays is not conducive to winning big games in the playoffs. He doesn't seem capable of throwing short passes. He can throw a 60 yard bomb and his a receiver in the hands, but for some reason he can't throw a screen or hit a receiver in stride on a crossing route. When the weather gets bad and the defenses start to take away the deep threats, you have to be able to respond. I know everyone wants to blame Dorsey, but Josh's accuracy on short timing routes is not good. I think that's why those plays are not called. I want to think that it's something that he can work on, but he's 26 and I'm afraid that he is who he is at this point. This is just a depressing thought that I had driving in wet heavy snow this morning here in Cincinnati, imagining the Bills having to play in the playoffs in Cincinnati next year.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 5
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

37 minutes ago, BuffaloRebound said:

This guy did a great job breaking everything down.  Would love for somebody to do the same for the defense.  I assume it would be even uglier.  This is the type of loss that makes you question almost everything.  

The guys at Cover1 do a great job with that. The videos are on YouTube.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.