You're Beane. Give me your offseason moves as best you can at this point.

GreggTX

6 hours ago, damj said:

Trade Oliver for cap space.

Cut Siran Neal to save 2.8 mil.

Top 2 picks at WR and OT. Another WR and 2 safeties later in the draft.

Resign Crowder or Beasley for 1 year vet minimum

Resign Phillips and Lawson. 

Try to resign Edmunds if the money is right. 

Replace Frasier.

Add Frank Reich as passing coordinator/ asst HC.

Add Greg Roman as run game coordinator 

This is the one - right here.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Well, since you asked. 

I'm finding a 340+ pound DT who grew up a Bills fan. Who feels insulted by the world and overlooked by scouts and coaches. Who hates Tom Brady (just because it's a huge plus in my book). Who has a massive chip on his shoulder. Who makes Eli Apple and Joe Burrow look meek and humble. Who hungers for QB tears. Whose sole desire is to go into an opponent's stadium and listen to the cries and laments of their fans when he makes the play to end their season. 

Then I'm buying him a 5XL t-shirt with the quote "Better get them refunds!" on the front and Burrow's smug little face on the back. It'll serve as motivation to put the work in both in the gym and at the buffet table. 

Then, the night before we open the season vs Brady's new team the LV Raiders I'm ordering him a large pizza and a couple dozen wings and making him watch the 28-3 Atlanta/NE Super Bowl, and then putting on a private screening of 80 for Brady. 

Then, on SNF, I would release this man onto the field to do his worst. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Well, since you asked. 

I'm finding a 340+ pound DT who grew up a Bills fan. Who feels insulted by the world and overlooked by scouts and coaches. Who hates Tom Brady (just because it's a huge plus in my book). Who has a massive chip on his shoulder. Who makes Eli Apple and Joe Burrow look meek and humble. Who hungers for QB tears. Whose sole desire is to go into an opponent's stadium and listen to the cries and laments of their fans when he makes the play to end their season. 

Then I'm buying him a 5XL t-shirt with the quote "Better get them refunds!" on the front and Burrow's smug little face on the back. It'll serve as motivation to put the work in both in the gym and at the buffet table. 

Then, the night before we open the season vs Brady's new team the LV Raiders I'm ordering him a large pizza and a couple dozen wings and making him watch the 28-3 Atlanta/NE Super Bowl, and then putting on a private screening of 80 for Brady. 

Then, on SNF, I would release this man onto the field to do his worst. 

I'm not huge on the idea of "bulletin board material" for grown men.  But Burrow & "better get those refunds" should be on the Bills board ALL season in '23.

And maybe Eli Apple, too.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, damj said:

Maybe I wasn't clear here, but I know he is guaranteed and would need to be traded. There should be teams interested in trading for him.

I like what you've got. The only change is I would keep Beasley or Crowder on a one year deal to whoever will take the lowest amount on a 1-year contract

If I'm bringing one back it's Beasley.  I thought about the idea of mentioning resigning him because I really, really think Josh missed him this year.  Honestly it's been Beas who was his #2 go-to over the years behind Diggs.

I guess my hope is the younger, more talented Shakir fills that roll.

But yes, maybe one more year learning under Cole would be good, too.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, fmr60 said:

Frank Reich's name gets mentioned a lot on this site...all for the wrong reasons. Hire him as President to provide real overall leadership. Kim is probably unable to handle the workload and Frank would be perfect.

So, Frank Reich is some kind of great front office guy now?

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

Bengals were 6th in total defense and Chiefs were 8th in total defense, that is not league average that is top 10.

Where do they rank on Salary Cap - I doubt the chiefs 8th in spending on defense. So they are over achieving. 

My focus would be the lines and the offense in general.  You win in football by winning up front.  So in that approach:

1.  Draft a solid G round 1.  Or if a solid LT is available then get him and move Dawkins to either RT or inside.  Let Morse retire and move Bates to C.  Resign Boettger and let him start at LG.  Draft another guy lower to compete.  Focus on toughness, we need some nastiness up front.

2.  Get a guy like Allan Robinson in FA  or Hopkins by trade to pair with Diggs.  Clear the necessary cap space by restructuring guys like Allen and Milano.  This gives you a core with Diggs, the guy you trade for, Davis, and Shakir.  Any other WR in the roster is let go unless signing for the minimum.

3.  Resign and restructure Hines.  Resign Motor; good blocker and tough runner that just needs a line in front of him.  Cook of course stays.

4.  Bring Allen and Dorsey and the backs and WRs in, go through film of each game, and get them in the same page.  We don’t know if the offense suffered because of Dorsey’s calls, or Josh’s choices where to go with the ball.  Make using the backs a priority next year.  

On defense:

1.  Don’t resign Frazier.  Get a DC that is more aggressive.  McD learned at the feet of Jim Johnson who was anything but passive in his approach.  Get back to that philosophy.  It is not fair to players to bring a guy back whose defensive philosophy has fallen apart in four post seasons now.

2.  Keep Jones, Settle and  Anjou up front, let Phillips go since he always gets hurt.  Oliver stays because you can’t trade him, but I’d experiment playing him outside more.  And you have to hope the three young guys step up, although a new DC helps there. As does Miller coming back.

3.  Poyer leaves.  Would love to keep him but his wife wants him gone.  Draft a S round 2, and Benford moves to S with Hyde to mentor.  Resign Marlowe, let Johnson walk.

4.  Edmonds gets resigned if he asks in the 13-14 million range.  If he wants Roquan $$ then no; we already have one All Pro LB and hard to pay big $$ for a second with other needs. 

5. We’re OK at Cb with returning guys but draft one in lower rounds or look for low priced vets.  Sign Jackson as a FA.  

Special teams guys:  I’d keep Matekevich; others only stay at minimum deals.

By focusing on the O line and getting a quality veteran WR, we help Josh.  By brining in a new DC we inject new life into the D.  But the most important think is Josh and Dorsey.  Without them on the same page we can’t win the Lombardi.

Edited by oldmanfan

9 hours ago, whorlnut said:

I think the writing was on the wall as to how badly Beane botched the WR position when he signed brown and Beasley off the streets. I think it also had something to do with Allen asking for more help cause he didn’t trust guys like McKenzie and maybe even Davis after the constant drops and bad routes. 

Beane most definitely botched letting Crowder break his leg and go on season-long IR, then waiving Hodgins due to a roster "squeeze play" caused Tre White not being ready to play when added/injuries - only to see Kumerow go on IR a week or 2 later.  How could he ***** up by not predicting all that?

Seriously, there were a number of folks (myself included) who thought Beane had NOT done enough to address talent at WR this off-season and we were going into the season pretty thin.  We were depending upon 3 out of 4 starters to step in and step up (Davis, McKenzie, 5th round Shakir) and that seems improbable, but then of course 2 of the 3 had had fantastic games towards the end of the 2021 season, so it's not like they'd never shown they could play.

And you may be right that Allen asked for more help but it was also reported that actually Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie went to Beane and asked him to sign Beasley.

38 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Where do they rank on Salary Cap - I doubt the chiefs 8th in spending on defense. So they are over achieving. 

Interestingly, the Chiefs, Bengals and Bills are the top three teams in the league for cap allocation to DL in 2023. The difference is that they don't have nearly as much tied up in DBs;  they're at the bottom of the league. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/positional/breakdown/

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Beane most definitely botched letting Crowder break his leg and go on season-long IR, then waiving Hodgins due to a roster "squeeze play" caused Tre White not being ready to play when added/injuries - only to see Kumerow go on IR a week or 2 later.  How could he ***** up by not predicting all that?

Seriously, there were a number of folks (myself included) who thought Beane had NOT done enough to address talent at WR this off-season and we were going into the season pretty thin.  We were depending upon 3 out of 4 starters to step in and step up (Davis, McKenzie, 5th round Shakir) and that seems improbable, but then of course 2 of the 3 had had fantastic games towards the end of the 2021 season, so it's not like they'd never shown they could play.

And you may be right that Allen asked for more help but it was also reported that actually Gabe Davis and Isaiah McKenzie went to Beane and asked him to sign Beasley.

I was right there with you as well.  I was very disappointed in what we had at WR starting the season.  Was 2 immediate downgrades.  Something I wasn't realizing as much at the time but am now is how he also has ignored the OL for the most part for 5 years and has not put a solid one together in 5 years.  Reid done it in 1 offsesaon, so did the Chargers

9 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

I was right there with you as well.  I was very disappointed in what we had at WR starting the season.  Was 2 immediate downgrades.  Something I wasn't realizing as much at the time but am now is how he also has ignored the OL for the most part for 5 years and has not put a solid one together in 5 years.  Reid done it in 1 offsesaon, so did the Chargers

Bengals fixed their oline this past off season.  I'm really hoping Beane does it this offseason.  

2 minutes ago, DCbillsfan said:

Bengals fixed their oline this past off season.  I'm really hoping Beane does it this offseason.  

Bengals changed their OL, but especially early in the season, it wasn't so clear that they fixed it.  1st 4 games of the season, Mixon was getting less than 3 ypc (2 and 2.5 in a couple of those games).  And Burrow was getting pressured and sacked - 7x game one, 6x game 2.

The thing is, they evolved their offense pretty promptly to work better with the line they had - different run plays, getting the ball out faster.

Burrows rocks 10.2 Y/Completion.  That's 5.6 air yards per completion, and 5.2 YAC per completion.

I'm right with you that I want Beane to make substantial investment in offensive line and in WR this off-season, but IMHO we have to fundamentally change either our offensive philosophy, or our offensive execution, or both, to take best advantage.

If I'm McBeane ...

1. Re-sign DC Frazier - He had the #2 defense ? in the league this year.

2. I'd make Edmunds a very wealthy man.

3. I'd sit tight during free agency for the first week or so to wait for quality guys that will sign cheap.

4. I'd draft the Safety from Texas A&M in the first round. We need to improve on our defense and we don't have any certainty for anyone currently on the roster.

5. In the 2nd round of the draft, I'd draft the best DE available. You can never have too many pass rushers.

6. I'll draft a slot receiver in the 3rd.

7. In the 4th I'll draft a project OT from a small school.

8. I'll let McDermott run day 3 of the draft. DEFENSE, DEFENSE, DEFENSE.

9.  I'll watch us hold off the Dolphins and Jests by a game to win our 4th straight AFC East crown.

10. I'll watch the team have a great season before losing to Cincinnati or Kansas City in the 2nd round of the playoffs

• Haha (+1) 1

Maybe leave the defense alone. Re-sign Edmunds, wait on Oliver, move Bedford to safety and call it quits, except some depth here and there. Put pretty much all resources into the offense: a legit WR2, RT, and guard. Maybe Brown can move to guard so we need just WR and RT. That's doable. 

My worry is that Beane will convince himself that Spencer Brown is the answer at RT, and Boettger at guard. He'll draft a safety that isn't ready to play,  another DE mediocrity in the second round, and a bunch of DBs and TEs in later rounds. 

He just does not seem to value the offensive line. And save the "He signed Saffold and drafted Brown! in the third round!" That just proves my point. 

9 hours ago, damj said:

Trade Oliver for cap space.

Cut Siran Neal to save 2.8 mil.

Top 2 picks at WR and OT. Another WR and 2 safeties later in the draft.

Resign Crowder or Beasley for 1 year vet minimum

Resign Phillips and Lawson. 

Try to resign Edmunds if the money is right. 

Replace Frasier.

Add Frank Reich as passing coordinator/ asst HC.

Add Greg Roman as run game coordinator 

I like most of this but I think it's critical to move on from Edmunds, for sure.

He's going to get huge money $15 million or more a year? and that is just not in the cards.

He's not CLOSE to adding that sort of value to the team.  Need the cash...get rid of him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.