You're Beane. Give me your offseason moves as best you can at this point.

GreggTX

I will give Beane the slightest of breaks on the WR position.  Going into the playoffs last year Gabe Davis was on absolute fire and really looked like he was going to be a true WR2 at that point, even a good WR2.   Nobody really saw his regression coming.   We still shoulda been trying to find more depth at the position though. 

This draft just about has to be perfect for the Bills to remain competitive next year.   OL, WR, OL, S.   Resign Edmunds, Let Poyer find a new home.

10 minutes ago, Lost said:

I will give Beane the slightest of breaks on the WR position.  Going into the playoffs last year Gabe Davis was on absolute fire and really looked like he was going to be a true WR2 at that point, even a good WR2.   Nobody really saw his regression coming.   We still shoulda been trying to find more depth at the position though. 

This draft just about has to be perfect for the Bills to remain competitive next year.   OL, WR, OL, S.   Resign Edmunds, Let Poyer find a new home.

I won’t give him a break. Not at all. Think about it…what has this staff preached from day one?  Competition. Where was Gabe’s competition?  There wasn’t any. They handed him the job and bet on that game to bleed over to a larger role in the offense. It was a HUGE fail on beane’s part. One that I think came because they were prepared to continue to bolster the defense at the expense of getting better in the receiving game. Now their hand is forced. 

2 minutes ago, extrahammer said:

Have his projections moved up? WalterFootball had him projected 2nd to 3rd round. 

Every mock that I have looked at since 6:00 on Sunday (I have a football problem) has him being picked before us in the first. I think they assume a rise due to an electric 40 time at the combine.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Things never should have gotten to this point with solid management.  The current situation is entirely a result of his failures as a GM.

Beane's gonna stew in his own juices.  

Tough situation, but no one but himself put him there.

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 2

Trade for a WR. I doubt you're getting an elite guy but you can get a solid #2 which is all that is needed IMO

- I like the idea of Jerry Jeudy. Good route runner who can make things happen after the catch. Broncos need draft capital. Maybe a 2nd rounder + a crapshoot pick can do it. A new coach may want to keep Jeudy in Denver though

- The Steelers seem unwilling to pay big money to WR's with their ability to draft them. Diontae Johnson is very high on my list too. He  can be frustrating but you aren't getting a perfect guy unless you're paying big money and big draft capital

- A guy like Hopkins is of course very appealing but it's a big contract. Might not take much capital to trade for him though

- Some rumblings that Keenan Allen could be a cap causality in LA. He would probably get a bigger deal elsewhere but maybe he chases a Super Bowl at this point. Immediately #1 for me if that happened. 

I'd give consideration to Jakobi Meyers in free agency but I probably spend FA dollars elsewhere and really try to get a WR from a trade. A 2nd rounder + meaningless picks at the most

Trade Oliver - Definitely will not give him away for free but the guy just hasn't consistently gotten the job done. I know these are pretty rare but I consider a "football trade" where you trade Oliver to a team who needs D-line help but has an abundance of offensive lineman. I am fine with keeping him though

Cut any depth players that are even semi costly. I also give consideration into cutting Morse or having a retirement conversation with him but give him a job in the front office or coaching staff

Sign RB - Jamaal Williams, Kareem Hunt, even Singletary. Hope the market is really reduced and get a guy on a 3 year 12M deal with nothing guaranteed after year 2. I like Cook but he isn't going to be a 250 touches/year guy

Poyer - Man I don't know. The guy is a player and means a lot to the team. Bring him back on a team friendly deal that is well under market rate. Anything higher and I just don't bring him back

Edmunds - I personally bring him back for anything under $14M a year. Not sure you'll get that though. Ideally you can spread his cap hit over a long term deal. If you don't bring him back, you just need a guy who can make tackles. Doesn't have to be some athletic freak or total stud. An average guy at this position is fine.

Draft - 

- 1st round - I actually like some of the safeties available there at the end of the 1st. I go there or an interior offensive linemen but I am absolutely willing to trade up 10+ spots for a difference maker at WR or even on the offensive line. If I did get a WR listed above, I am also willing to trade back here for a high 2nd rounder plus a 3rd to replace draft capital

- 2nd round - Ideally I traded this for a WR above. If not, offensive line or WR. 

- 3rd - Offensive line 

- 4th - defensive line depth if you trade Oliver

- 5th-7th - CB depth, TE, O-Line

55 minutes ago, Lost said:

I can't agree with giving Beane any type of pass at WR.

Even if we can give him a pass for betting on Gabe as a high end WR2 in a pass-heavy Offense, almost EVERYONE was questioning why we only had 2 true outside WR's on the roster.

The infamous Sal C quote of "look at them all as pass catchers"... fans/media, everyone was questioning the construction of the WR room heading into the season. 

Edited by SCBills

1 hour ago, damj said:

Trade Oliver for cap space.

Cut Siran Neal to save 2.8 mil.

Top 2 picks at WR and OT. Another WR and 2 safeties later in the draft.

Resign Crowder or Beasley for 1 year vet minimum

Resign Phillips and Lawson. 

Try to resign Edmunds if the money is right. 

Replace Frasier.

Add Frank Reich as passing coordinator/ asst HC.

Add Greg Roman as run game coordinator 

This, and look very hard at any vet who is strictly a special teams or depth guy.  We are cap strapped but paid Matakevich nearly $4MM for 20 snaps a game on ST for 6 tackles on over 300 snaps.  Surely there is a specimen rookie or UDFA who is faster and more athletic.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I can't agree with giving Beane any type of pass at WR.

Even if we can give him a pass for betting on Gabe as a high end WR2 in a pass-heavy Offense, almost EVERYONE was questioning why we only had 2 true outside WR's on the roster.

The infamous Sal C quote of "look at them all as pass catchers"... fans/media, everyone was questioning the construction of the WR room heading into the season. 

I agree with you, we didn't have enough depth outside and Beane seemed to have a penchant for slot guys.  Drafted Shakir, Signed Crowder, Keeps McKenzie, Signs Hines, Signs Beasley.   That's five roster spots for rotational slot gadget guys...kind of absurd when you look back at it.

Edited by Lost
  • Agree 2

32 minutes ago, stlbills13 said:

Trade for a WR. I doubt you're getting an elite guy but you can get a solid #2 which is all that is needed IMO

- I like the idea of Jerry Jeudy. Good route runner who can make things happen after the catch. Broncos need draft capital. Maybe a 2nd rounder + a crapshoot pick can do it. A new coach may want to keep Jeudy in Denver though

- The Steelers seem unwilling to pay big money to WR's with their ability to draft them. Diontae Johnson is very high on my list too. He  can be frustrating but you aren't getting a perfect guy unless you're paying big money and big draft capital

- A guy like Hopkins is of course very appealing but it's a big contract. Might not take much capital to trade for him though

- Some rumblings that Keenan Allen could be a cap causality in LA. He would probably get a bigger deal elsewhere but maybe he chases a Super Bowl at this point. Immediately #1 for me if that happened. 

I'd give consideration to Jakobi Meyers in free agency but I probably spend FA dollars elsewhere and really try to get a WR from a trade. A 2nd rounder + meaningless picks at the most

Trade Oliver - Definitely will not give him away for free but the guy just hasn't consistently gotten the job done. I know these are pretty rare but I consider a "football trade" where you trade Oliver to a team who needs D-line help but has an abundance of offensive lineman. I am fine with keeping him though

Cut any depth players that are even semi costly. I also give consideration into cutting Morse or having a retirement conversation with him but give him a job in the front office or coaching staff

Sign RB - Jamaal Williams, Kareem Hunt, even Singletary. Hope the market is really reduced and get a guy on a 3 year 12M deal with nothing guaranteed after year 2. I like Cook but he isn't going to be a 250 touches/year guy

Poyer - Man I don't know. The guy is a player and means a lot to the team. Bring him back on a team friendly deal that is well under market rate. Anything higher and I just don't bring him back

Edmunds - I personally bring him back for anything under $14M a year. Not sure you'll get that though. Ideally you can spread his cap hit over a long term deal. If you don't bring him back, you just need a guy who can make tackles. Doesn't have to be some athletic freak or total stud. An average guy at this position is fine.

Draft - 

- 1st round - I actually like some of the safeties available there at the end of the 1st. I go there or an interior offensive linemen but I am absolutely willing to trade up 10+ spots for a difference maker at WR or even on the offensive line. If I did get a WR listed above, I am also willing to trade back here for a high 2nd rounder plus a 3rd to replace draft capital

- 2nd round - Ideally I traded this for a WR above. If not, offensive line or WR. 

- 3rd - Offensive line 

- 4th - defensive line depth if you trade Oliver

- 5th-7th - CB depth, TE, O-Line

Can’t fathom a safety in the early rounds. McD made mention of Benford going to safety in his presser. Marino loves the idea and actually expects it to be Benford and Hyde next season. If you want to draft depth later on, fine. But under no circumstances do we need or have to draft one early this year. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Lost said:

I agree with you, we didn't have enough depth outside and Beane seemed to have a penchant for slot guys.  Drafted Shakir, Signed Crowder, Keeps McKenzie, Signs Hines, Signs Beasley.   That's five roster spots for rotational slot gadget guys...kind of absurd when you look back at it.

Yup.. randomly signed OJ Howard when we wanted to be a 2-TE Offense for five seconds.  Drafted a pass catching RB, who is actually a pretty good RB, but never gets thrown passes.  

All for a QB who needs an act of God to throw checkdowns/short routes. 

I don't want to kick the can down the road with restructures.  This is where GMs earn their money, making the hard decisions. 

1. Do not resign/cut the feel good special team guys.  Nothing above vet minimum contracts for these type of players, they're a luxury they can't afford.  There are young and hungry guys that can cover punts and the rare kick return, that don't cost anywhere near what SN (1 million dead cap, how?!) and TM cost.  Coaches have to develop these type of contributors.  

2. You have to let Edmunds and Poyer walk.  A competent Dline makes everyone behind them look better.  This is the only option for true roster flexibility.  Letting them go would get you compensatory picks in 24, right?  The Raven's let CJ Mosley go, he wasn't difference maker for them.  Edmunds isn't for the Bills, either. 

3.  You have to get lucky and find the next FA like Poyer was.  They are out there.  A guy like KYZIR WHITE, the Eagles saw something in him and he's been very solid.  Howie Roseman leaves no stone unturned.  He wasn't a big name/money addition, but has played really well for them.  These former mid-round picks coming up on 4-5 years in the league that have shown promise deserve a shot.  A mix of these guys and a couple solid draft finds can turn a struggling unit around pretty quick.  

4.  RFA on teams that are up against it.  I hate to point out the Eagles again, but think Chauncey Gardner Johnson.  He was acquired for 5th and 6th round picks.  This is where flexibility with money is key.  Is this where we're at with EO?  We're likely too bias to have clear vision here.  We see his deficiencies, who's going to give anything of real value for him?   

5.  Who are skill position players available coming off an unlucky injury or scheme change,  that could have a bounce back year? Think of guys like McKinnon or a WR equivalent. 

A little luck and good scouting could keep us on the up and up.  

Edited by YodaMan79
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.