You're Beane. Give me your offseason moves as best you can at this point.

GreggTX

I honestly dont know. 

We lost bc we were out-schemed, and out-muscled. How do you fix that other than the obvious? 

Frazier has to go. McD stays and realizes he’s the HC and not the DC - so if that means hiring a DC who has a different approach than you so be it. 

Dorsey gets one more year. Allen statistically had the same year as last so he didn’t regress. BUT there were times this offense really kinda looked lost. 

Elephant in the room is this team’s lack of a mean streak. We have gotten physically overmatched in the trenches at least 2x in the last few years in the playoffs. We are not a physical, tough team. Hard to fix that in one off season. Hard to bank on Buffalo having a nice sunny day with the conditions being just right for our soft players to perform at a high level. 

What would I do?

First of all I wouldn't give a press conference like yesterday.

Then, I would begin to re-establish confidence and energy in the organization and fan base by proclaiming that everything was on the table. No stone would go unturned, tell everyone we have challenges and road blocks but we would not be deterred. Everyone including myself was accountable, mistakes have been made, and change was coming because what we've done isn't good enough.

Not give a press conference like yesterday where I look bewildered, defeated and the only optimisim I offer is to roll it back because that's all I know.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I am usually an optimist about things, but I think our flexibility to improve the roster will be severely limited by the salary cap this offseason.  I would create cap space by restructuring Allen, Miller, Diggs and Milano, but not White or Dawkins.  These cap savings will need to go to signing our draft picks and back-up type players (our own and new free agents) to fill out our roster.

I do not believe that Oliver will be tradable at his guaranteed salary this year.  Does not seem to be enough money to re-sign both Edmunds and Poyer (or maybe either), so I would focus on Edmunds unless his contract ask is similar to what Roquan Smith received.  Assuming Hines is back, sign a low priced RB replacement for Motor unless Motor is willing to take a contract for under $5 million per year.  Try to get Hines to agree to a reduced salary.  I don't think there will enough money to sign a starting caliber WR or offensive lineman, and it does not appear that there are a lot of quality free agents available at either position.

In the draft, WR and O-line should be the focus in the first three rounds.  After that, draft a safety.

Not a great year for free agent o-linemen, and I understand that the draft is not particularly strong for WRs or OL.  Beane has his work cut out for him to keep the team at the current level. let alone improve it.

16 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

Free agency: Re-sign Edmunds. Find an undervalued corner-safety convert to replace Poyer. Replace Saffold. 

Draft: Wide receivers, defensive linemen and OL. 

We have the “convert”. His name is Christian Benford and McD mentioned approaching him about switching to safety in his presser. 

• Like (+1) 1

I talk to McD about defensive philosophy, balance on offense, and playing young highly drafted players early in the season. I then convince him to not retain Frazier.

I find some middle of the road guards in FA. I put a plan together to move up in the draft to get the last of the difference making WRs for a cost controlled option at WR2 for 5 years, and use the rest of the high picks on OL, including a RT and a guard that will ultimately slide to center when Morse is gone. I look in FA for the next Poyer/Hyde… a safety with the characteristics that I want who has yet to get his shot to prove himself that I can sign for reasonable money. I bring in a bunch of large, fast undrafted FA RBs hoping to find 1 that sticks for minimal investment as a change of pace to Cook and ?Hines. I probably resign Edmunds. 

And I cut Cam Lewis… twice… because it would make me feel just a little less miserable for a second. 

10 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

What would I do?

First of all I wouldn't give a press conference like yesterday.

Then, I would begin to re-establish confidence and energy in the organization and fan base by proclaiming that everything was on the table. No stone would go unturned, tell everyone we have challenges and road blocks but we would not be deterred. Everyone including myself was accountable, mistakes have been made, and change was coming because what we've done isn't good enough.

Not give a press conference like yesterday where I look bewildered, defeated and the only optimisim I offer is to roll it back because that's all I know.

Not only that, but don’t say the reason the team that just kicked your arse only have the WR that kicked your arse is because they “sucked”. Beane has had a top 10 pick too the year Allen got us to 6-10 and picked Ed Oliver. We could have used that pick to have gotten weapons like cinci did, but instead thought an undersized DT was worth the pick. 

• Agree 2

37 minutes ago, UConn James said:

And, at that, there wasn’t an improvement.

McKenzie doesn’t cut it as a third / slot. Shakir showed some ability but I’m just not sure where he would fit. Johnston out of TCU is a dream on the other side from Diggs and Gabe needs to step up — drops and inconsistency are maddening. Why do other teams complete EVERYthing and we’re always like “oops”?! Even Diggs has had hands of stone at times. KC can sign guys off the street and that week they look All-Pro. The idea that one guy can anchor the room is passé — elite O teams have two or three marquee guys at WR/TE. Jefferson, Theilen, Don Beebe’s son, Hockenson. Hill, Waddle, Gesicki. Chase, Higgins, Hurst. Evans, Godwin. etc.

Time to upgrade the Center position and get some cap savings there. Morse is one bell ring from retirement.

Morse is a big concern, perhaps Bates is the replacement to slide over. All of the picks for JAGS on our DL easily could have been for a center or OG. 

a thought from the WGR radio guys is maybe you can trade Oliver for a WR and basically salary swap and pay a bit more for contract #2 on a Jeudy etc 

46 minutes ago, damj said:

Trade Oliver for cap space.

Cut Siran Neal to save 2.8 mil.

Top 2 picks at WR and OT. Another WR and 2 safeties later in the draft.

Resign Crowder or Beasley for 1 year vet minimum

Resign Phillips and Lawson. 

Try to resign Edmunds if the money is right. 

Replace Frasier.

Add Frank Reich as passing coordinator/ asst HC.

Add Greg Roman as run game coordinator 

I like your approach for the most part but i may go O line for both the 2 top picks seeing as the Bills have found good WR's in the later rounds of the draft I'm not real sure that Edmunds will be back but there are a couple of LB that have about the same measurables coming out this year that could replace him .

I think with the trade of Ed they could get some extra draft picks & get players that could replace him in this years draft too . Ed is good but if there isn't someone next to him as good or better he can be made irrelevant & there are a couple of good D linemen coming out this year that could be had if they could get say a second round pick + for him . 

There will be a lot of player changes next year I think Phillips & Lawson would be good to get back on the cheap .

Dorsey along with Beane need help first in choosing a bigger RB with a good skill set some one has post about the RB from Texas he's 6' & 220 lbs & his stats in college shows he has good skills just what the Dr ordered .

I saw that Schwartz was hired by the Browns i would have loved to see him back here i love his aggressive nature & your thoughts to add a little R&R to the offense i think would be really good too ! 

It should be a very intriguing off season to say the least and change is definitely on the horizon .

Edited by T master

1 hour ago, whorlnut said:

I think the writing was on the wall as to how badly Beane botched the WR position when he signed brown and Beasley off the streets. I think it also had something to do with Allen asking for more help cause he didn’t trust guys like McKenzie and maybe even Davis after the constant drops and bad routes. 

You hit the nail on the head add to that his having OBJ practically having a sleepover at Josh’s house. 

Bring in a new DC

Let Poyer & Singletary walk

Re-sign Edmunds (backload cap hit)

Trade Ed Oliver 

Bring back Shaq, Marlowe, Klein and Dane

Sign the best IOL available in Free Agency

Sign a WR2

RD1 WR/OL

RD2 WR/OL/S

RD3 WR/OL/S

RD3 (Oliver Trade) OL/WR/S/DT

RD4 OL/WR/S/DT

Day 3 Remainder:  Any of RB, S, P, QB

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.