Reasons for Optimism

DapperCam

2 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

KC will soon realize Kelce at 34 is not the same player he was in 2018.

He's currently playing arguably his best season ever and has been utilized more as a dagger in that offense with Hill gone. I agree with much of the rest of what you have listed but I wouldn't be surprised if Kelce has 3-4 more dominating years left at the rate he's going. He has the inside track to being the best TE ever right now. Amazon Prime cringe lord Tony G put up 800 and 7 TD at 37. Kelce might bank 1000-10 at 38 with Mahomes.

And we made Hayden Hurst look like Kelce in both the playoff game and even in the shortened game. Hurst is not that good. He's not even Knox statistically. He occasionally runs routes and puts up 400 yards a season and we made him look like Travis Kelce, which to me means we've done absolutely nothing to address Kelce. Could you imagine if the Bills pulled it off last week and had to deal with playoff Kelce this week? Who's going to do that right now? Tre White might throw his body at him for a couple of PIs but nobody on this injury riddled defense is covering Kelce.

For the sake of the thread I'm optimistic that we somehow find a way to neutralize AFC tight ends - Kelce, Gesicki, effing Hurst apparently.

Edited by Nelius
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, DapperCam said:

This place is frankly depressing, so put any reasons to be optimistic about next season for the Bills here.

1. Tre White could very well be back to his regular All Pro self with an offseason of rest and a full training camp.

2. It’s possible we have Hyde and Poyer back there for game 1 next season (we’ll see if Poyer is too expensive, but with his injuries he might not be).

3. Gabe Davis and Ed Oliver will be in contract years next season. They might ball out to get paid.

4. We have Josh Allen, the best QB in the league (or second or third best, point remains).

5. Saffold won’t be playing for us next year. There is no way his replacement isn’t better, even if it’s some third round rookie.

6. Elam, Shakir and Cook will all have longer leashes next season. They could show out in a big way. We saw glimpses all season with them.

7. Von Miller is a machine, you know he will rehab and do everything he can to be 100% for our playoff push next year.

8. We have a first round pick which could become a stud playmaker. We kept our draft capital.

I’m sure there are more, what do you think?

it’s interesting to think back that Cook fumbled on his first regular season touch.  He sat for a while after that.

He never fumbled again.

8 hours ago, JMM said:

We have Josh. Period. As long as we have him, a potential HOF, we will always have a possibility of getting it done. That's how it works in the NFL.

Rivers

Ryan

Newton

Kelly

Marino

Fouts

Cunningham 

Moon

Bledsoe

Romo

Luck

McNabb 

a good QB is just one part. And the dual threats don’t last as long. 

2-3 years left max of one man show offense. 

• Agree 2

Von Miller still good but doesnt return to normal form

Ed Oliver won't be a Bill

Poyer Gone

Shakir is the 3rd Reciever Gabe #2

We draft Oline and WR

Allen and Diggs aren't actual friends

FRAZIER is fired

We keep Dorsey

TREMAINE WALKS

Lawson gets another 1 year deal

We get meddling OLman

They try Milano at MLB

I'm ready for next year

We'll be better next year because I think Beane will let Edmunds, Poyer, and Singletary walk so that we can go all-in on O-Line through FA and the draft. 

Another reason is that we will not deal with 1/10 of the adversity we dealt with this year. 

This was a down year that the Bills relentlessly overcame to pull out 13 wins. It only didn't seem like a down year because of their amazing will to win. That's why the emotional posters that claim we are soft boggle my mind. Just have no ability to see what is really going on. 

6 hours ago, Nelius said:

He's currently playing arguably his best season ever and has been utilized more as a dagger in that offense with Hill gone. I agree with much of the rest of what you have listed but I wouldn't be surprised if Kelce has 3-4 more dominating years left at the rate he's going. He has the inside track to being the best TE ever right now. Amazon Prime cringe lord Tony G put up 800 and 7 TD at 37. Kelce might bank 1000-10 at 38 with Mahomes.

And we made Hayden Hurst look like Kelce in both the playoff game and even in the shortened game. Hurst is not that good. He's not even Knox statistically. He occasionally runs routes and puts up 400 yards a season and we made him look like Travis Kelce, which to me means we've done absolutely nothing to address Kelce. Could you imagine if the Bills pulled it off last week and had to deal with playoff Kelce this week? Who's going to do that right now? Tre White might throw his body at him for a couple of PIs but nobody on this injury riddled defense is covering Kelce.

For the sake of the thread I'm optimistic that we somehow find a way to neutralize AFC tight ends - Kelce, Gesicki, effing Hurst apparently.

He's aging well, but take a step back. He's 34. One injury and he can be toast. Players drop off quickly at that age. This can easily be his last elite year. 

13 hours ago, DapperCam said:

This place is frankly depressing, so put any reasons to be optimistic about next season for the Bills here.

3. Gabe Davis and Ed Oliver will be in contract years next season. They might ball out to get paid.

IF YOU CAN'T BALL OUT DURING A DIVISIONAL PLAYOFF GAME AT HOME, WHEN WILL YOU BALL OUT?

Sorry, that's how I feel... he absolutely disappeared in that game and suddenly doing it in a contract year is an insult.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I'll be optimistic if they change Defensive Coordinators and invest heavy in Offense with a FA signing or two and early draft picks.   Absent that, I'd be pretty frustrated.

The Defense could be much better, even if we lose Poyer and Edmunds, as long as Von, Tre and Hyde all return to form next season.  They're likely all on the team, and occupying quite a bit of cap space in doing so, so we're going to have to hope that happens. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

14 hours ago, DapperCam said:

1. Tre White could very well be back to his regular All Pro self with an offseason of rest and a full training camp.

2. It’s possible we have Hyde and Poyer back there for game 1 next season (we’ll see if Poyer is too expensive, but with his injuries he might not be).

4. We have Josh Allen, the best QB in the league (or second or third best, point remains).

5. Saffold won’t be playing for us next year. There is no way his replacement isn’t better, even if it’s some third round rookie.

6. Elam, Shakir and Cook will all have longer leashes next season. They could show out in a big way. We saw glimpses all season with them.

7. Von Miller is a machine, you know he will rehab and do everything he can to be 100% for our playoff push next year.

8. We have a first round pick which could become a stud playmaker. We kept our draft capital.

Like we say in Buffalo

"There's always next year"

• Like (+1) 1

I wish I can  Drink the koolaid !! I can’t Bills are going to regress if they Keep Frazier! Weak DL/ awful OL/No running game because OL is mediocre at best! What’s going to change…

Just now, Stuartjohn said:

I wish I can  Drink the koolaid !! I can’t Bills are going to regress if they Keep Frazier! Weak DL/ awful OL/No running game because OL is mediocre at best! What’s going to change…

If You have a Mediocre OL- they Will never win a Championship! Look at last 30 years and OL on Super Bowl winning teams were Always dominant to Above average!!

2 minutes ago, Stuartjohn said:

If You have a Mediocre OL- they Will never win a Championship! Look at last 30 years and OL on Super Bowl winning teams were Always dominant to Above average!!

This would give Josh time to go thru progressions and Throw the ball.

go back to Washington Redskins when they beat the Bills in Super Bowl- Big OL controlled line of scrimmage and ran the ball down our throats!

• Like (+1) 1

I love the optimism!

But I don't entirely share it...

#1.  Fingers crossed.

#2.  Finger crossed - but the 'shelf-life' comment above might have some merit.  

#3.  Davis and Oliver are who they are.  They won't play better next year. 

#4.  Josh is a beast but his skills are negated to some extent by poor pass protection, dropped passes, and receivers who have trouble gaining separation.

#5.  Careful with this one.  Staffold's replacement could be even worse and may be just as bad.

#6.  Okay.  There's some real hope with this Elam, Shakir, and Cook.  At least one of them will be better next year - hopefully all 3.  

#7.  Von's not getting younger.

#8.  Beane's only produced one "stud playmaker" with a first round pick.  I'm really hoping this year he nabs his second.  

With the holes we have, Beane really needs to have a superior offseason.  

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

#3.  Davis and Oliver are who they are.  They won't play better next year.

Players have career years in a contract season all the time. The trick is to not fall for it and let them walk afterwards. Let some other team overpay them when they revert to their regular selves.

• Like (+1) 1

Josh Allen is only 26.  Tom Brady was almost 25 when he won his 1st.  Peyton Manning didn't win one until he was 30.  Jim Kelly was already 30 when the Bills went to their 1st.

I see a lot of comments from opposing fanbases that Allen would have won it by now if he was so great, or something to that effect.  We'll have so many opportunities.

• Like (+1) 1

51 wins and 22 losses last 4 years.   Now that is reason for optimism.    These guys win 5 for every 2 they lose.   McBeanes are killing it.   No random loss in a post season tournament changes that.   

Works for me.   I can go to any game anywhere and I know this team will be competitive and is more likely than not to come out ahead.   A lot better than the drought seasons.   Winning is entertainment in pro sports, losing kills the entertainment value IMO.  

You can't get too excited about a single elimination playoff format.   Seems like a random total crapshoot to me.   The number 1 seeds in each conference should get the conference trophies IMO.   After performing for 17 weeks, if I have the best record in my conference, I won the conference, period.     

Let the playoffs stand alone, just a tournament.   The TV money and Ad revenue maximization has pumped the SB into what it is.   Look at the Rams, one season they buy their way to win the tournament, next season, total suck.   If you can basically buy the trophy one year, what value does it have?  It's just a tournament trophy.  

Edited by ProcessTruster

This is a great list, OP. There's plenty of reason to be hopeful. My biggest hope (or concern if it doesn't happen) is what the players do in the offseason. Will Josh bring everyone together again for extra work? Will he recommit himself to putting in extra time on his mechanics? I think they need that type of all-in commitment again. And I'm hopeful that Beane will draft offensive lineman, they'll sign Edmunds to a long term deal, and more. I'm glad they won't be the presumptive Super Bowl favorites going into next year. I think that will be a good place for the team to be in, and I hope it motivates them

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.