Maybe it was just a bad day

Success

1 hour ago, zow2 said:

The coaches, players, GM,…everyone in that organization waited an entire year to right the wrong of 13 seconds.,,,and that’s the game they came out with?!? it’s remarkable really.  Just zero intensity and completely dominated from the very first snap until the end. No wonder Diggs was so pissed.  They aren’t allowed a bad day in that game. 

Just glad they didn’t make the Super Bowl only to lay that egg.  That would’ve been way worse.

Just curious, what does the bolded mean to you? If 'they aren't allowed' what's the consequence?  Will you stop watching? Hold your breath until your blue in the face? Or is it less personal and 'they' will all be shown the door or face imprisonment or a firing squad? If 'they aren't allowed' there must be some inherent consequence in your mind. What is it?

We're all upset with how the season ended - it effen sucked! - but some of the hyperbole here is a cross between comical and childish.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Aussie Joe said:

The only thing I’ll say is that they have not played to their best over the second half of the season …. 

That loss was coming for some time … even before the Damar incident…

Maybe in hindsight it might have been better for them to get that beat down in Week 17…

I agree. I feel like I’ve been yelling at the clouds that we haven’t been playing quality football despite their wins.

I didn’t love the Miller signing because I thought it best to just sign your own for the next year or two. We invested enough in the DL. At some point you have to live with that and make the rest of the team better too. 

I also said I wouldn’t blame the team for cashing it in post Damar. And I also stand by that. 

It’s very confusing because we didn’t just lose, we lost in spectacular fashion because of issues we saw coming since the 2022 offseason. 

• Like (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, Best Williams Available said:

This team peaked the first 6 weeks of the season. After they beat the Chiefs, it was like they thought their jobs were finished.

Then after the bye, they were unmotivated and unprepared every game thereafter (despite winning a lot toward the end). They were in cruise control with no identity. It would have been exposed had Damar not gone down that night. That a** whooping maybe would have lit a fire. But instead, their laze festered, until the inevitable happened Sunday.

injuries Injuries INJURIES. The Bills had key ones with all the rest of the drama and hassle the team has had to deal with in 2022...in retrospect Im sad they didnt play better and up to the task of winning against Cincinatti at home. But no more disappointed than the team themselves.

we dont have any choice but to take our lumps and look forward to 2023 draft/free agency. It is what we diehard Bills fans do!  Deal with disappointment. And look to the future

YEP

*sigh*

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, SinceThe70s said:

Just curious, what does the bolded mean to you? If 'they aren't allowed' what's the consequence?  Will you stop watching? Hold your breath until your blue in the face? Or is it less personal and 'they' will all be shown the door or face imprisonment or a firing squad? If 'they aren't allowed' there must be some inherent consequence in your mind. What is it?

We're all upset with how the season ended - it effen sucked! - but some of the hyperbole here is a cross between comical and childish.

Simply put, the team had a 3 hour block of time to play at a high level, win and continue to fulfill their goals. They failed miserably. An NFL playoff team, the Super Bowl favorite for much of the season can’t have a “bad day” in their home stadium.

No consequence for me… but pretty bad consequences for the players and coaches involved. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

11 hours ago, Best Williams Available said:

This team peaked the first 6 weeks of the season. After they beat the Chiefs, it was like they thought their jobs were finished.

Then after the bye, they were unmotivated and unprepared every game thereafter (despite winning a lot toward the end). They were in cruise control with no identity. It would have been exposed had Damar not gone down that night. That a** whooping maybe would have lit a fire. But instead, their laze festered, until the inevitable happened Sunday.

This.  I don’t know what happened after the bye but this was a different team starting with the 2nd half vs Green Bay.  That’s when Josh started throwing head-scratching picks, which continued into the Jets’ game.  Before the elbow injury.

In the second half of the season, obviously the injury didn’t help things but something else was going on:  mental, game plan, who knows?

• Like (+1) 1

Fans, analysts, sports talk shows were saying WTF multiple times a game in regards to play calling, lack of this or that, what is going on…. Etc since after the bye Week.

Its just that a team with much better coaching and ability to game plan exposed us at another level.

And we have fans saying…. Could have just been a bad day.

I agree with the OP in general and wanted to add a few points. First, it’s a bit unrealistic to say that BUF has lacked talent on the roster for years. Making the playoffs 4/5 years? That’s not an easy feat! I believe there is a recency bias as to judging the team right now, and rightfully so, I am also disappointed. However some perspective is needed to see the consistent success this team has had.

I think the Cincinnati game exposed a schematic flaw in both our offense and defense. What was baffling to me was that the coaches didn’t appear to make any adjustments! They just basically moved the ball at will, as we made no apparent adjustments to their offense. I don’t understand this at all. It may have been a “bad day” as far as we didn’t get any lucky bounces, but I think the coaching was a bit flawed.

When the season began and the Bills were Super Bowl favorites, I was legit concerned. Winning a superbowl has a very low probability, as 31 NFL teams can confirm every year. And we as a fan base had this “Super Bowl or bust “ mentality, which I think the players fed into as well. We set ourselves up for the disappointment and heartbreak we experienced on Sunday. I don’t know how/when this team can get over the playoff hump, but I am confident that the management, coaches and players will do their best. I expect more off-season moves to try to reach this goal. Some people will criticize them, some people will love them, but the stadium will still be packed and we will have hope again in September, because we aren’t fair weather fans, we support our team no matter how terrible or great they are.

• Like (+1) 1

Our offense had the same issues against Cincinnati that it's had for weeks, Allen just wasn't able to pull off enough magic to hide the issues this time. Immediate jailbreaks on the OL, a refusal to get our pass catching RBs intentionally involved, a WR dropping a pass on a key 3rd down. You can get away with that stuff against an inferior opponent and rally at the end to win. Against a championship contender it sinks you early. In this era of football you have to be able to win a shootout occasionally, especially with a defense as injured as ours was. No excuses for the offense. It collapsed in the biggest moment of the season.

• Like (+1) 2

I'll admit I listened to Tasker and Brown yesterday explaining this in more detail. The guys were very drained from the entire situation with Damar. 

However......what I can't rationalize in my head is how you work the entire season just to have a shot at the SB, and you lie down as soon as things don't go your way from jump. To me, that's coaching. Sean didn't have them ready to play.

PS: Life is hard, ***** happens, but I show up to work and bust my ass because other people are depending on me. 

• Like (+1) 1

Nah.

I get that people are searching for reasons to feel better about what happened and to understand it.

Unfortunately, I don't think people are overreacting if the goal is to win a Super Bowl.

We've been behind the curtain and seen the wizard 3 years in a row now.

Until I see McBeane step up and say things that motivate me to believe, unlike yesterday's PC, my opinion is the patient is sick and everything should be on the table with the team.

It all starts with accountability and admitting mistakes have been made.

Blaming bad luck, injuries and being emotionally drained won't cut it.

I hope it's just a matter of some time is needed and McBeane begins to get the Swag back. 

14 minutes ago, nucci said:

A bad day is dropping passes, committing penalties and turning the ball over. This was different. They didn't show up to play

I agree and that's why I posted in this thread.  This wasn't a "bad day".  This was completely unprepared and a lack of compete.  This goes right to McDermott...and over to Frazier/Dorsey as well.  I know Bean talks about disappointing, but privately he's likely fuming at what he witnessed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.