Maybe it was just a bad day

Success

I mean, that happens in football, right?  

Teams come out flat.  They do get emotionally drained after emotional situations.  I think Hines may have covered for some of that in the season finale, but you could see it in the Miami playoff game, too.  They were kind of running on fumes at the end.

You can say these are pros, and that's not an excuse, and I can't really argue that.  But it simply is what it is, and some of the players have come out & stated it. I don't think that makes them a "softer" team than most.  Just human.

Based on the discussions here, we went from feeling like we were on top of the league most of the season, to feeling like we're all of a sudden miles behind Cincy.  I don't buy that.  Cincy was better that day - more prepared, more motivated, more fresh mentally.  But it was just a bad day.  They're not 27-10 better than the Bills.  And maybe that hype will die down a bit if they lose next week or in the SB.  We're still an elite team in the NFL, with an elite QB, and can get right back at it in September.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

The only thing I’ll say is that they have not played to their best over the second half of the season …. 

That loss was coming for some time … even before the Damar incident…

Maybe in hindsight it might have been better for them to get that beat down in Week 17…

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 14

The coaches, players, GM,…everyone in that organization waited an entire year to right the wrong of 13 seconds.,,,and that’s the game they came out with?!? it’s remarkable really.  Just zero intensity and completely dominated from the very first snap until the end. No wonder Diggs was so pissed.  They aren’t allowed a bad day in that game. 

Just glad they didn’t make the Super Bowl only to lay that egg.  That would’ve been way worse.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, Success said:

I mean, that happens in football, right?  

Teams come out flat.  They do get emotionally drained after emotional situations.  I think Hines may have covered for some of that in the season finale, but you could see it in the Miami playoff game, too.  They were kind of running on fumes at the end.

You can say these are pros, and that's not an excuse, and I can't really argue that.  But it simply is what it is, and some of the players have come out & stated it. I don't think that makes them a "softer" team than most.  Just human.

Based on the discussions here, we went from feeling like we were on top of the league most of the season, to feeling like we're all of a sudden miles behind Cincy.  I don't buy that.  Cincy was better that day - more prepared, more motivated, more fresh mentally.  But it was just a bad day.  They're not 27-10 better than the Bills.  And maybe that hype will die down a bit if they lose next week or in the SB.  We're still an elite team in the NFL, with an elite QB, and can get right back at it in September.

If you stop and really think how much talent on defense that was out injured or playing one legged or one armed, I don't think it mattered. How that game only ended up 27-10 I have no clue, it didn't feel that close. 4 former All-Pros either out, playing injured or still coming back from injury on defense. Plus Jones out and Phillips playing with 1 arm. A super human effort by Josh would've been the only way we could've won that game.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Bengals came in loaded for bear with a great game plan and nearly flawless execution.  The Bills picked a bad day to have a bad day.  There were some bad mismatches from the start and once they fell behind it was apparent they were in for a long day.  Survived some close calls late in the season,  Went to the  well one too many times and came up empty.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, LOVEMESOMEBILLS said:

If you stop and really think how much talent on defense that was out injured or playing one legged or one armed, I don't think it mattered. How that game only ended up 27-10 I have no clue, it didn't feel that close. 4 former All-Pros either out, playing injured or still coming back from injury on defense. Plus Jones out and Phillips playing with 1 arm. A super human effort by Josh would've been the only way we could've won that game.

they werent winning even if Josh played his best game  That is the problem we go as far as #17 carries the Bills and that is on McDermott/Beane  They suck at roster building and McDermott in game coaching leave a lot to be desired

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

20 minutes ago, zow2 said:

The coaches, players, GM,…everyone in that organization waited an entire year to right the wrong of 13 seconds.,,,and that’s the game they came out with?!? it’s remarkable really.  Just zero intensity and completely dominated from the very first snap until the end. No wonder Diggs was so pissed.  They aren’t allowed a bad day in that game. 

Just glad they didn’t make the Super Bowl only to lay that egg.  That would’ve been way worse.

Like Cowhert said, you had all week to plan and you go 3 and out the 1st drive.  It was over in the 1st quarter.  They have failed to put together an offensive line for 6 years, while other coaches fix theirs in 1

5 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

they werent winning even if Josh played his best game  That is the problem we go as far as #17 carries the Bills and that is on McDermott/Beane  They suck at roster building and McDermott in game coaching leave a lot to be desired

Their roster building and drafting has be atrocious.  The roster talent seems to get worse year after year, and its not looking good for them on fixing it this offseson.  They have had 6 years to address the line, and quite a few years neglecting WR.  But we got that vaunted Dline right?  Yeah they screwed those picks up too.  Too many bad draft years and proper FA acquisition to fix it this offseason imo.  I think they have dug their grave after next year

Edited by Gunsgoodtime
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This game requires some nuance to breakdown. Yes teams come out flat even in playoff games and the reason this game was a blowout was because the Bills came out flat. Had the Bills come out sharper it would have been at worst for the Bills more competitive.

And this season was a lot for the Bills to take in even before the Hamlin situation. This team is human and they likely got mentally worn out. 

BUT the Bills still had roster issues that could have exposed this team to a loss at some point in the deeper playoffs. And this season showed that the Bills need to invest more on offense and adjust their defensive scheme esp in the playoffs.

There is no reason to overreact but also the team can’t chalk things up to a bad day either.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This team peaked the first 6 weeks of the season. After they beat the Chiefs, it was like they thought their jobs were finished.

Then after the bye, they were unmotivated and unprepared every game thereafter (despite winning a lot toward the end). They were in cruise control with no identity. It would have been exposed had Damar not gone down that night. That a** whooping maybe would have lit a fire. But instead, their laze festered, until the inevitable happened Sunday.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 5
  • Thank you (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, DuckyBoys said:

OooooK. Well on the brightside...now at least I know you exist.🤷‍♂️

The weather actually hurt us but we were a step slow in coverage and timid against their backups on O-line. Defenders can’t get pushed oback 5 yds on running plays.Our receivers weren’t getting open and our O-line got bum rushed and pressured Josh all game. If you write this off as an aberration you run the risk of not addressing glaring weaknesses.

• Agree 3

Oh I agree that team is 8 points from literally being undefeated. The Bengals are good but not some juggernaut they got run out of the building by the Cleveland Browns before their winning streak.

I guarantee that game would be closer if they played again.

But there are some problems this team has that all came to the surface at the same time and it was at the worst time. 

We don’t have any dynamic players on offense not named 14 or 17. The offense line couldn’t push a pack of stuffed animals off the ball to run it.

We’ve  invested heavily in an an archaic Tampa 2 system on D that can’t get pressure on backup offensive linemen. 

Edited by 78thealltimegreat
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Here's some things that might benefit us next season.

1. We can't possibly experience all the stressful and emotional events that crashed down on this team.  And yes they were clearly physically and emotionally exhausted. 

2. Hopefully Von, Micah and Tre come back 100%

3. If Dorsey & Frazier are allowed to "run it back", they better be prepared to make major tweaks to their respective responsibilities. 

4. McB's primary job will be to focus 80% or more of the draft/ fa on offensive help for Josh. Anything less would only expedite their dismissal if a 5th early playoff exit happens. That warm seat becomes scalding. 

5. And now that the majority of the sports world consider us the 3rd or 4th best team in the AFC, maybe we can stay off the "SB favorite hype train" and catch some teams by surprise?

• Like (+1) 2

26 minutes ago, Mrbojanglezs said:

Bills peaked in September 

Week 6 at Chiefs. They won that game and exorcised their demon, then played uninspired the rest of the way.  

18 minutes ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Here's some things that might benefit us next season.

1. We can't possibly experience all the stressful and emotional events that crashed down on this team.  And yes they were clearly physically and emotionally exhausted. 

2. Hopefully Von, Micah and Tre come back 100%

3. If Dorsey & Frazier are allowed to "run it back", they better be prepared to make major tweaks to their respective responsibilities. 

4. McB's primary job will be to focus 80% or more of the draft/ fa on offensive help for Josh. Anything less would only expedite their dismissal if a 5th early playoff exit happens. That warm seat becomes scalding. 

5. And now that the majority of the sports world consider us the 3rd or 4th best team in the AFC, maybe we can stay off the "SB favorite hype train" and catch some teams by surprise?

My worry is McD looks at that tape and says the D failed us and we need to use the draft on that. Maybe he sees OL too but I worry that he has “faith” in the existing offensive playmakers.

The overreactions are off the charts right now based upon one game. Yes the Bengals beat the Bills in every category. They were better prepared and successfully executed their game plan. Our overall game plan was brutal on both sides of the ball and it happened at the worst possible time.

However Cinncy isn’t some invincible juggernaut. They needed a17 point comeback against TB, a fluke fumble to beat NE and a goalline fumble by a third string QB. 

Tip of the hat to them for playing a great game against us and out scheming us. The Bills failing to score before halftime and the drop by Davis were two very big plays in the game. Not saying they would have won but it’s certainly game on at that point after taking two big shots from Cinncy to start the game.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.