Can Sean McDermott Coach the Bills to a Championship?

jethro_tull

Can Sean McDermott Coach the Bills to a Championship?   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Can Sean McDermott Coach the Bills to a Championship?

• Yes
    • No

1 hour ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

Every decent QB not named Lamar Jackson lights them up when you invest that heavily in your defense and basically rely on your all world QB to make street free agents and low round picks look good and let’s not talk about the oline. 

Sorry, man, but that's demonstrable bull####. Unless you're willing to seriously argue that "every decent QB not named Lamar Jackson" doesn't include Mahomes. 85.2.  That was Mahomes' passer rating against us.

Who's the best offense in the league? The Chiefs. The Chiefs scored 20 points against us this year when we were a bunch healthier. I'm sure you'll come up with a million justifications, that's how it works when someone so obviously gets shown as wrong. But it's a fact. When healthy early, we looked really good.

One team held the Chiefs to less than 20. So, obvious crap.

• Disagree 1
  • Dislike 1

50 minutes ago, Chicken Boo said:

The only defensive coach I can think of that doesn't value the run game or running backs, in general, and he coaches an outdoor, cold weather team.

No he cannot.  

It's crazy they don't build a team that is built for the elements. The current and new stadium don't/won't have a dome. You will always have to factor in wind, rain, snow every season in OP.

• Thank you (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I don’t think Von would’ve made a difference unless he helped McD & Frazier change the philosophy on defense which i highly doubt he would’ve. Burrow got the ball out within 2 secs and knew exactly where to attack the soft spots in our defense as u can tell the players weren’t being covered in man to man there Wrs and TEs were wide open nobody around them . They were just going to the soft spots and Burrow was eating us up. Now Daquan he would’ve made a difference in stopping the run I truly believe that so his loss what felt but not so much Von. Btw the Bengals had plenty of injuries and they adapted. At the end of the day this was a coaching mismatch to the highest of levels. 

Guess we'll have to disagree on Von, then.

But Burrow absolutely did not get rid of the ball in two seconds every play. He just didn't. A lot, but not every play. He was flushed by one guy a bunch of times.

https://www.bengals.com/video/joe-burrow-highlights-top-plays-bengals-bills

In this video alone you see, what, five plays where the ball came out late or not at all but only one guy was pressuring. Von in there on those plays and odds are decent we'd have had different outcomes on one or several.

And yeah, the Bengals had a bunch of injuries but not at key positions the way we did, and not nearly as many overall. Also don't remember any cataclysmic snowstorms or good friends having their hearts stopped.

This was a mismatch for the players too. It just was. The coaches were NOT blameless. Very true. But the players played badly.

I mentioned three particular players that really hurt us. If Tre was playing like he was before the injury, whichever WR they put him on in that case would have had a much harder game. Which would have forced Burrow to go through more reads and take more time to allow Von to do his thing. And I can see we both think losing DaQuan hurt a lot. Now what if Poyer's not limping, Hyde is in there ... this team was in bad shape. Hell, they had to put Jaquan Johnson in for 34 snaps on defense, on top of Cam Lewis for 13 more.

34 minutes ago, Thurman#1 said:

Sorry, man, but that's demonstrable bull####. Unless you're willing to seriously argue that "every decent QB not named Lamar Jackson" doesn't include Mahomes. 85.2.  That was Mahomes' passer rating against us.

Who's the best offense in the league? The Chiefs. The Chiefs scored 20 points against us this year when we were a bunch healthier. I'm sure you'll come up with a million justifications, that's how it works when someone so obviously gets shown as wrong. But it's a fact. When healthy early, we looked really good.

One team held the Chiefs to less than 20. So, obvious crap.

Do you really want to go there? Do you want me to remind you of 13 seconds? Do you want me to remind you of what Tua and Raheem Mostart did in the second game? Do you want me to remind you what Kirk Cousins did to them and that was after the O spotted them a 27-10 lead ….Seriously they have the second most money on defense and the 18th most in offense. That must change. As you are the only one on the planet currently defending a defense who forget Joe Burrow for sec..gave up 6 yards a carry to Joe Mixon and Perrine when they haven’t had a hundred rusher in 2 months with 3 backup linemen. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

We have all those 1st and 2nd round picks on the DL and ALL are basically invisible when it matters (playoffs) 

That is the major issue, IMO. 

A second issue is philosophical: this regime constantly talks about linemen needing to "slim down." I've heard Beane say it more than once about different guys. 

No, we need powerful big dudes who can slug it out in the trenches, not "slimmed down" linemen getting pounded into the turf. They basically made Epenesa useless by taking away his game, which was power and strength. Now he's a skinny DE who just gets pushed around. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

I do not think so. There seems to always be something than he did not anticipate or plan for as a coach, especially in a big game. I think he could if he has a team that is overwhelmingly more talented than the rest. I do not believe he can coach them to a championship with an evenly talented team or a lesser talented team than the opponent(s).

• Like (+1) 1

I love what he's done to turn around the franchise but maybe instead of using the same old cliches like, "humble and hungry", "trust the process", "playoff caliber", try using, "mean and nasty", "progression not regression or stagnant", or "Super Bowl caliber".

Biggest mistake of his is stubbornness. Like, I understand the concept of, after winning the coin toss, to defer to try and double up scoring at end of first half beginning of second half. But good teams alter that depending on situations and opponents. He never changed that. Case in point, week 17, Bengals game he deferred after winning the coin toss and the Bengals went right down the field and scored a TD. The Bills responded with a FG and on the next Bengals drive they were moving toward another score when Hamlin happened. So Bengals playoff game comes and we win the toss again. He deferred once again knowing very well what happened a few weeks back. Instead of playing behind a team like Cincinnati, maybe the Bills should have received the kickoff and went down and scored a TD so the Bengals have to play catch-up all game. 

I've not seen anywhere where this has been mentioned.

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Guess we'll have to disagree on Von, then.

But Burrow absolutely did not get rid of the ball in two seconds every play. He just didn't. A lot, but not every play. He was flushed by one guy a bunch of times.

https://www.bengals.com/video/joe-burrow-highlights-top-plays-bengals-bills

In this video alone you see, what, five plays where the ball came out late or not at all but only one guy was pressuring. Von in there on those plays and odds are decent we'd have had different outcomes on one or several.

And yeah, the Bengals had a bunch of injuries but not at key positions the way we did, and not nearly as many overall. Also don't remember any cataclysmic snowstorms or good friends having their hearts stopped.

This was a mismatch for the players too. It just was. The coaches were NOT blameless. Very true. But the players played badly.

I mentioned three particular players that really hurt us. If Tre was playing like he was before the injury, whichever WR they put him on in that case would have had a much harder game. Which would have forced Burrow to go through more reads and take more time to allow Von to do his thing. And I can see we both think losing DaQuan hurt a lot. Now what if Poyer's not limping, Hyde is in there ... this team was in bad shape. Hell, they had to put Jaquan Johnson in for 34 snaps on defense, on top of Cam Lewis for 13 more.

I never said every play! And yes the players have fault in the matter no doubt. But if plan wrong u play wrong and that’s exactly what happened. These teams are pretty equal in talent even with the injuries . They were just much better at masking there deficiencies on the offensive line and at corner then we were with our injuries. Btw Hubbard and Hendrickson are also playing hurt . 

As easy as u can say what if this what if that! I can say what if we had coaching that squib kicked vs the Chiefs and then put 9 players in the secondary and didn’t allow Kelce & Hill to get clean off the line or what if we had coaches then are better at scheming away Burrow timing throws ? We’ve seen Baltimore do it we’ve seen Tampa ***** them out for a half until Amarillo made adjustments that lead to 4 Brady pks in the 2nd half and 4 short fields that allowed the Bengals to come back in that game or maybe like Belicheck he made key adjustments in the 2nd half of there game vs Burrow that shut him out in the 2nd half and led to multiple picks of Burrow a game in which Mac Fricken Jones led a comeback that fell short because there RB fumbled the ball at the 3yd line. 

At the end of the day yes our players should’ve played better but the common denominator when we lose in the playoffs are McD and Frazier Defense. We’ve givin up 100pts in the last 3 playoff losses combined. 

Can't stand Nick Wright but just listened to him on Cowherd and he makes (cringe) a great point about McDermott's defenses and how the Bills seasons ended the past 3 years:

2020: 38 points given up to KC in AFC Title Game (38-24 loss) 

2021: 13 seconds and 42 points given up (42-36 loss)

2022: Bengals bullied that defense all day. 27 points but if they needed more they could easily have done it. 

McDermott's defense didn't have " a bad day" they have had 3 very bad days in the playoffs. another way to say it is that they barely slowed the opposition down when the games mattered most. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.