Can Sean McDermott Coach the Bills to a Championship?

jethro_tull

Can Sean McDermott Coach the Bills to a Championship?   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Can Sean McDermott Coach the Bills to a Championship?

• Yes
    • No

I said this about Frasier last year, and it just occured to me about McDermott. 

I think they would probably both be better coaches at the college level. They're very rigid in their process both on and off the field, and could probably have more impact on the lives of college players hoping to turn pro.

And I honestly think they'd be more fulfilled being able to mold young men. They could probably take over a major D1 program and start recruiting the best talent with the promise of the NFL and win multiple national championships. 

But I have doubts if they have the flexibility and creativity required to take an NFL team to the highest level. 

• Agree 1

I don't like that I don't really know how to answer this question. The homerism can't push me over the edge. I'm doubtful.

I don't like that we either can't pick or develop players and yet we know that McD is involved in everything. He's a defensive minded coach (the only "defensive minded" coach in the playoffs this past weekend btw), and yet all of our d-line picks going back to Oliver are seemingly babies that are still being coached along to find their place. None on them are taking control. It's really kind of insane. We've got four early round draft picks on that line and not a single one of them is even playing consistently, let alone tearing it up as they should be. Are we supposed to wait until Year 6 in McD's galaxy for these defensive players that he clearly had an opinion on to turn things on, or is he just limited in terms of picking the right player and/or properly utilizing them? It's extremely frustrating and I don't think any of us can wait for another couple of years for some of these guys to figure it out.

From Oliver to James Cook, we haven't had a good young player pop since Allen. It's been years now. Maybe Dawson Knox gets a limp thumbs up but he didn't even make the jump that a lot of us thought he would this year, and he was a straight gamble pick anyway. One of McDermott or Beane, likely both, share the responsibility for whiffing on either scouting or development.

9 hours ago, muppy said:

fanbase split right down the middle. And this does NOT surprise me.

Until it happens there will be a doubt ...no recent behavior to indicate YES *shrugs* But I voted Yes.  Because in view of allll the circumstances and vital injuries I am not laying Sundays loss completely at his feet. That's just me though

I think Sundays Game was a coaching masters class put on by the Bengals. These teams are right at the same level in talent. But the coaching was the most glaring issue . 

I truly believe if the coaches were switched and we had the Bengals staff the Bills win that game just as easily. McD has gotten us to far as we’re going to go with him. Soon his tactics and speeches will wear thin in the locker room.  

1 hour ago, Nelius said:

I don't like that I don't really know how to answer this question. The homerism can't push me over the edge. I'm doubtful.

I don't like that we either can't pick or develop players and yet we know that McD is involved in everything. He's a defensive minded coach (the only "defensive minded" coach in the playoffs this past weekend btw), and yet all of our d-line picks going back to Oliver are seemingly babies that are still being coached along to find their place. None on them are taking control. It's really kind of insane. We've got four early round draft picks on that line and not a single one of them is even playing consistently, let alone tearing it up as they should be. Are we supposed to wait until Year 6 in McD's galaxy for these defensive players that he clearly had an opinion on to turn things on, or is he just limited in terms of picking the right player and/or properly utilizing them? It's extremely frustrating and I don't think any of us can wait for another couple of years for some of these guys to figure it out.

From Oliver to James Cook, we haven't had a good young player pop since Allen. It's been years now. Maybe Dawson Knox gets a limp thumbs up but he didn't even make the jump that a lot of us thought he would this year, and he was a straight gamble pick anyway. One of McDermott or Beane, likely both, share the responsibility for whiffing on either scouting or development.

There not gonna figure it maybe only Rouse he’s a solid end upside 10 sk season otherwise the other 3 are jags at best and I’m counting Oliver in this equation. Look at Beane drafts since 2018 not a single pro bowler . Beane is horrible at picking in top 3 rds of drafts and this is only now going to start revealing itself now that we’re running into cap problems. 

• Disagree 1

3 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I think Sundays Game was a coaching masters class put on by the Bengals. These teams are right at the same level in talent. But the coaching was the most glaring issue . 

I truly believe if the coaches were switched and we had the Bengals staff the Bills win that game just as easily. McD has gotten us to far as we’re going to go with him. Soon his tactics and speeches will wear thin in the locker room.  

I do think we were outcoached on Sunday, but I think we were outplayed by a team with more elite talent too. We were dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball and while there is obviously an element to which coaching plays into that eventually up front it just comes down to man for man can you win your assignments, and the Bills couldn't.... even with two first rounders and two second rounders up front on defense against a backup offensive line. That is where the coaches need the guys they have invested heavily in to show up. And they didn't. 

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I do think we were outcoached on Sunday, but I think we were outplayed by a team with more elite talent too. We were dominated in the trenches on both sides of the ball and while there is obviously an element to which coaching plays into that eventually up front it just comes down to man for man can you win your assignments, and the Bills couldn't.... even with two first rounders and two second rounders up front on defense against a backup offensive line. That is where the coaches need the guys they have invested heavily in to show up. And they didn't. 

That was just one part of the domination and I believe coaching had something to do with us getting kicked in teeth in the trenches. Yes the Bengals have a little bit more elite talent on offense but defensively I believe we have the edge . Tell me how they get there less then average corners to lock down our wrs ? Would u say the Bengals have more elite talent then the Chiefs last yr? No they don’t anyone would take Mahomes, Hill & Kelce over whatever the Bengals have but the Bengals DC Amarillo made great adjustments in that 2nd half and locked down that great KC offense.

Frazier & McD can’t do the same he’s givin up 100pts in the last 3 playoff losses combined. We keep using the same defense in regular season as we do in playoffs no wrinkles no nothing. Burrow knew exactly where to go with the ball he attacked our schemes knowing where the soft spots in the zones were going to be. Burrow got rid of the ball in average of 2 secs how is our pass rush supposed to get home in that time ? Instead of blitzing which u should never do vs Burrow or laying off there wrs we should’ve been using more complicated schemes dropping more players in coverage and taking away Burrow passing lanes. There also should’ve been way more press coverage by our secondary to knock the timing off for Burrow and his Wrs . Instead we just essentially dropped bk and let them get as comfortable as possible as if they came to our house and taken best our best sofas and slept in our beds. 

On offense we also couldn’t adjust Amarilo mixed up schemes and also used some post snap coverages hiding essentially what there coverage was. They rattled Allen with these concepts and that’s why there 3 man rush got to him.  Intelligence breeds confidence the Bengals were ready and had a plan which put there players in positions to make the plays. The Bengals also weren’t scared of our RBs I mean who in the NFL prepares for Singletary and Cook? We are truly a 1 trick pony show I don’t care what there averages are during the regular season in the running game those are empty calories stats.  The Bengals used our strength against us and when we tried to turn to that trash run game it didn’t work. 

Colin Cowherd is spot on when he says the Bills are the Mike Tyson of the NFL . We’re built to be a bully vs less talented teams and less intelligent teams. But when we face someone that has that mix of intelligence and skills we fold like a rocking chair. 

3 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

That was just one part of the domination and I believe coaching had something to do with us getting kicked in teeth in the trenches. Yes the Bengals have a little bit more elite talent on offense but defensively I believe we have the edge . Tell me how they get there less then average corners to lock down our wrs ? Would u say the Bengals have more elite talent then the Chiefs last yr? No they don’t anyone would take Mahomes, Hill & Kelce over whatever the Bengals have but the Bengals DC Amarillo made great adjustments in that 2nd half and locked down that great KC offense.

Frazier & McD can’t do the same he’s givin up 100pts in the last 3 playoff losses combined. We keep using the same defense in regular season as we do in playoffs no wrinkles no nothing. Burrow knew exactly where to go with the ball he attacked our schemes knowing where the soft spots in the zones were going to be. Burrow got rid of the ball in average of 2 secs how is our pass rush supposed to get home in that time ? Instead of blitzing which u should never do vs Burrow or laying off there wrs we should’ve been using more complicated schemes dropping more players in coverage and taking away Burrow passing lanes. There also should’ve been way more press coverage by our secondary to knock the timing off for Burrow and his Wrs . Instead we just essentially dropped bk and let them get as comfortable as possible as if they came to our house and taken best our best sofas and slept in our beds. 

On offense we also couldn’t adjust Amarilo mixed up schemes and also used some post snap coverages hiding essentially what there coverage was. They rattled Allen with these concepts and that’s why there 3 man rush got to him.  Intelligence breeds confidence the Bengals were ready and had a plan which put there players in positions to make the plays. The Bengals also weren’t scared of our RBs I mean who in the NFL prepares for Singletary and Cook? We are truly a 1 trick pony show I don’t care what there averages are during the regular season in the running game those are empty calories stats.  The Bengals used our strength against us and when we tried to turn to that trash run game it didn’t work. 

Colin Cowherd is spot on when he says the Bills are the Mike Tyson of the NFL . We’re built to be a bully vs less talented teams and less intelligent teams. But when we face someone that has that mix of intelligence and skills we fold like a rocking chair. 

I didn't doubt coaching played a part. It did. But the Bills performed brutally as well. I think there is a tendency to over blame the coaching and under blame the players. Coaching has always been worth about a third of the game to me. It is when you win and it is when you lose too. Players have to make plays. Particularly up front your guys have to win their assignments. The Bills undoubtedly got out coached on Sunday night. But they got bullied up front too. Physically bullied. I'm pretty old fashioned. When you lose both trenches you lose a football game. That hasn't changed in my opinion from the 1970s to the present day despite the game looking so different now. That is about the way the regime has strategically built this roster and some of the flaws therewithin. They have to get that right first and foremost. I think the Bills could have had better gameplans (they sure needed them) and still lost on Sunday unless their guys in the trenches just played better. Get whipped up front on both sides you lose. 

I'm not defending the coaching, I'm saying if you think it's as easy as change the coaching change the outcome I think that's wrong. The Bills have bigger flaws they need to correct. The reason they are so reliant on Josh Allen turning into Superman to be competitive with KC and Cincy in the playoffs is because there are flaws on this roster that need addressing. Regardless of who is calling plays or designing schemes. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

huh... Mike Tyson once was unified world champ

did the Bills achieved that or something close to it ?

• Thank you (+1) 1

I voted yes, but Beane has a lot of magic to make that happen.

At minimum with a tight cap will need to secure two WR’s and two Guards.  A speed WR, and a bigger possession

contested catch guy.

We need road grater Guards that will punch open seams for a running game.  I still want the pass to be our bread and butter, but when we choose run, it needs to be effective.  We were only modestly successful with the rush.

I can’t believe our revamped D Line fell apart at the most important moment.  McD was not the problem.  He’s a 

solid leader and helped this team through atypical hurdles with two incredible storms, played in Detroit, and oh by the way a player almost died on the field.

He needs the right ingredients to make the right soup (Parcells reference)

His clock management and situation awareness concerns me.  Before the kickoff last year he should have been discussing strategy with ST coach than in 13 seconds should have discussed defense.  I think he is a good coach, players love him etc but not great to get a championship 

50 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I didn't doubt coaching played a part. It did. But the Bills performed brutally as well. I think there is a tendency to over blame the coaching and under blame the players. Coaching has always been worth about a third of the game to me. It is when you win and it is when you lose too. Players have to make plays. Particularly up front your guys have to win their assignments. The Bills undoubtedly got out coached on Sunday night. But they got bullied up front too. Physically bullied. I'm pretty old fashioned. When you lose both trenches you lose a football game. That hasn't changed in my opinion from the 1970s to the present day despite the game looking so different now. That is about the way the regime has strategically built this roster and some of the flaws therewithin. They have to get that right first and foremost. I think the Bills could have had better gameplans (they sure needed them) and still lost on Sunday unless their guys in the trenches just played better. Get whipped up front on both sides you lose. 

I'm not defending the coaching, I'm saying if you think it's as easy as change the coaching change the outcome I think that's wrong. The Bills have bigger flaws they need to correct. The reason they are so reliant on Josh Allen turning into Superman to be competitive with KC and Cincy in the playoffs is because there are flaws on this roster that need addressing. Regardless of who is calling plays or designing schemes. 

I don’t think coaching is the only thing that’s the problem. But generally speaking they have let us down in huge spots just look at the last 4 playoffs losses . Hou was a massive choke job by McD blowing a 16pt lead in the fourth quarter then there’s the famous 13 seconds. On top of all that we have givin up 100 pts collectively over the last 3 playoff losses showing no abilities to adjust to our opponents. 

There definitely other problems especially when it comes to team building it’s flawed . McBeane has had some of the most mediocre drafts I ever seen the problem is there not finding any difference makers . Epenesa and Basham fell in the draft because there underwhelming physical attributes these are guys u should take starting in the 4th rd of drafts . Drafting so many dlineman just to put them in a rotation is borderline insanity. Its had a snowball effect on our Oline and other key positions on this team. Beane has also wasted multiple picks on these jag type backs. Let’s face it Beane does his best work in the later rds of the draft. Starting next season we will all see the results of these awful drafts because now we’re up to the cap. We are definitely Allen centric team and without him we’re just average at best . 

12 minutes ago, NastyNateSoldiers said:

I don’t think coaching is the only thing that’s the problem. But generally speaking they have let us down in huge spots just look at the last 4 playoffs losses . Hou was a massive choke job by McD blowing a 16pt lead in the fourth quarter then there’s the famous 13 seconds. On top of all that we have givin up 100 pts collectively over the last 3 playoff losses showing no abilities to adjust to our opponents. 

There definitely other problems especially when it comes to team building it’s flawed . McBeane has had some of the most mediocre drafts I ever seen the problem is there not finding any difference makers . Epenesa and Basham fell in the draft because there underwhelming physical attributes these are guys u should take starting in the 4th rd of drafts . Drafting so many dlineman just to put them in a rotation is borderline insanity. Its had a snowball effect on our Oline and other key positions on this team. Beane has also wasted multiple picks on these jag type backs. Let’s face it Beane does his best work in the later rds of the draft. Starting next season we will all see the results of these awful drafts because now we’re up to the cap. We are definitely Allen centric team and without him we’re just average at best . 

The 16 point lead blown when the offense threw up on itself and we missed countless tackles? That is another game where I just think people overblame coaching and under blame players. 13 seconds, definitely a major coaching blunder - that said Levi Wallace admitted on the final pass play he blew his assignment. But I can't argue we have in the last 3 seasons certainly not been good enough in the playoffs on defense in our final game (or on offense in 3 of the 4 years). 

I agree on the drafting. They have found lots of guys who can play. Not enough who can make THE play. On receivers they have undervalued them. They have overvalued running backs and they have made some poor evaluations with the oline picks they have made. Without Josh Allen we are probably a slightly better version of the Patriots right now. A competitive team that over the season will be good enough on defense to beat the bad and average teams but not good enough on offense to beat any of the good teams. And you see it. Josh was poor on Sunday and we were miles off the Bengals. He was average in KC in 2020 and we were miles off the Chiefs. The one year we got Superman Josh in KC we should have won. It takes that kind of performance from him to bridge the gap. 

10 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The 16 point lead blown when the offense threw up on itself and we missed countless tackles? That is another game where I just think people overblame coaching and under blame players. 13 seconds, definitely a major coaching blunder - that said Levi Wallace admitted on the final pass play he blew his assignment. But I can't argue we have in the last 3 seasons certainly not been good enough in the playoffs on defense in our final game (or on offense in 3 of the 4 years). 

I agree on the drafting. They have found lots of guys who can play. Not enough who can make THE play. On receivers they have undervalued them. They have overvalued running backs and they have made some poor evaluations with the oline picks they have made. Without Josh Allen we are probably a slightly better version of the Patriots right now. A competitive team that over the season will be good enough on defense to beat the bad and average teams but not good enough on offense to beat any of the good teams. And you see it. Josh was poor on Sunday and we were miles off the Bengals. He was average in KC in 2020 and we were miles off the Chiefs. The one year we got Superman Josh in KC we should have won. It takes that kind of performance from him to bridge the gap. 

I agree with a lot u said but i don’t think they overvalued the RB position I think they don’t have a clue what a elite RB looks like and that’s a major problem because they keep drafting guys and using picks on a position that’s easy to find the the top talent . Just look at last yrs draft for example instead of drafting a RB like Pierce they go get Cook who takes a receiving back that high in the draft?  Cook had 230 Carrie’s in his college career he played 4yrs that’s around 58 Carrie’s a yr even Georgia knew he’s not a 3 down back he’s a change of pace guy and a good one at that . But that doesn’t mean u take him in the 2nd rd guys like that u find much later in the draft.  I’m willing to bet that the Bills see Cook as there future #1 back and are going to find out the hard way that he’s not built to carry the load for 17+ games. 

Since McBeane has been here we’re seen them sign 2 over the hill backs in Gore and Tolbert and draft 3 Jag bks using high rd pks to do so. Obviously this is a sign that they have no clue how to strengthen that position. 

Don’t get me wrong I respect McD and Beane and I know they’ve done some really good things while being in Buffalo from instilling work ethic and a strong family like culture in the locker room to adding an amazing training facility amongst other things we can’t see as fans on a day to day basis. I just think McD is a builder but not a finisher and at some point the Pegulas will see this and make the necessary move to get him and Beane out . Let’s just hope it’s not too late by then. 

3 hours ago, 78thealltimegreat said:

They just care more about defense then offense. The problem is their defense can’t stop an offense with a pulse and your all world QB has exactly 1 skill talent on the roster people are scared of. 

The defense this year had massive injury problems, massive. And still were really good. The same defense with a healthy Tre, DaQuan and Von puts up a whole different kind of result, IMO.

Do they need more of a pass rush, particularly with Von out? Yeah. They do. For the rest, when they're of average healthiness they are very good.

And can we please acknowledge that every team in the world has bad games sometimes. This was one. With the season they've had, and the injuries, it's not surprising.

Not that that means that because it was a bad game that makes everything hunky-dory. It doesn't. The coaches deserve their share of the blame. So do the players. Massive team loss.

Edited by Thurman#1

6 hours ago, LABILLBACKER said:

Absolutely not. The blown 16-0 Houston lead really concerned me. 13 seconds proved in an instant how incapable McD is in leading this team to a championship.  The Cincy game only validated something I already knew. Only a dynamic offensive HC (Daboll, Payton etc) could vault Josh to the end.  Process, culture and character can only take you halfway to the end.  How refreshing 60% of Bills fans have finally come to their senses.  That took forever.

Great post

11 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Hard to say.  To be fair to McDermott this is NOT a Super Bowl roster in my opinion.  Both lines need to be completely revamped, need to add at least one more playmaker on offense.  

How is that also not on McDermott? You don't think he has a say in who they bring in and who they let go? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.