Can Sean McDermott Coach the Bills to a Championship?

jethro_tull

Can Sean McDermott Coach the Bills to a Championship?   

186 members have voted

1. 1. Can Sean McDermott Coach the Bills to a Championship?

• Yes
    • No

56 minutes ago, BillMafia716ix said:

I’m a McDermott supporter but him and Frazier blew the 13 seconds vs. KC and this year they basically showed up unprepared and got blown out. Seems like in our biggest games vs. good teams, We always get out coached.    Very curious to see how they bounce back from this. 

Cover1 did some stuff about how Miami was manipulating the Bills run coverage by using motion in the passing game.

Cover1 just did some stuff about how the Bengals exploited the same flaws.

That’s really a defensive scheme and coaching problem.  I don’t know if it’s Frazier’s problem or McDermott’s problem, but it’s something we’re going to see, a lot, until they figure out a counter.

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

This is true.  Though I think he had a hand in a lot of the draft picks - especially on defense so he does bear some of that blame.  

Still I think as the year progressed and injuries to key players happened, the roster wasn’t as loaded as we thought pre-season.  

The areas which were neglected - offensive line, CB, and WR depth came back to bite us in the ass

How can you say we neglected CB when we spent a #1 draft pick on a CB and also a later pick?

Absolutely not. The blown 16-0 Houston lead really concerned me. 13 seconds proved in an instant how incapable McD is in leading this team to a championship.  The Cincy game only validated something I already knew. Only a dynamic offensive HC (Daboll, Payton etc) could vault Josh to the end.  Process, culture and character can only take you halfway to the end.  How refreshing 60% of Bills fans have finally come to their senses.  That took forever.

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, transient said:

Yes, but not with Frazier as the DC, and not with Dorsey calling games the way he did at the very end of the season. He needs a more aggressive DC, even if they run the same scheme fundamentally. I think they need to worry less about the defensive statistics and more about making opposing QBs uncomfortable and forcing TOs. If you #### up and it costs you a chunk play or a score, then ride Allen's arm to bail you out.

Buffalo was 4th in the league in turnovers with 27.  Dallas had 33 and the Cheats and 49ers had 30.

But I agree we should be more aggressive in getting pressure on the QB and stopping the run.

I would argue that the 4 playoff wins under Coach McDermott were big games.

Edited by reddogblitz
  • Agree 1

No Sean McDermott will most likely never going to win a Super Bowl in Buffalo with the two Buffalo Bills rosters he has had already forget about it. Sean McDermott is limited as a head coach and he already is losing the room Stefon Diggs is more important than Sean McDermott. If it comes down to Stefon Diggs or Sean McDermott bye bye Sean McDermott fire him. If Terry Pegula isn’t capable to fire Sean McDermott yes I question Terry Pegula competence when he doesn’t do a thing and failed with the Buffalo Sabres for 11 years season 12 the Buffalo Sabres have finally found there game after 11 years welcome back to the NHL Buffalo Sabres after eleven years of failure. Auction off the honor of firing Sean McDermott for charity it is a win win in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

5 hours ago, Governor said:

He’s 3 away games from losing the locker room. This experiment is pretty much over as I see it.

I can totally see Diggs turning on him next year. 

5 hours ago, SirAndrew said:

I voted no, and I didn’t want to. McD’s culture has turned around this franchise, and he seems like a great guy. I’m concerned that 2020 was the high point for this team. Elite QB’s like Allen don’t always win titles early in their career, but we’re seeing more flaws in this team as time passes. It seems that a different flaw is being uncovered each season.

We’re not progressing slowly uphill, we’ve remained stagnant at best, and regressed at worse. I think of the Super Bowl era Bills teams. The 88 and 89 seasons were a slow climb to the Super Bowl. We seem trapped behind two better teams with anyone else potentially passing us. I’m not sure what the plan is to pull ahead, aside from hoping Josh does something incredible. 

Really nice post. 

I voted yes. But I’m assuming that Beane can find his mojo and draft AllPro level players. The 2019 to 2022 have yielded zero Pro Bowlers or All Pro’s. You can’t F up 5 years worth of draft and not find difference makers. If you do the roster ages out.

Edited by Dr.Sack
  • Agree 1

He doesn’t know how to use his best weapon, which in the NFL is everything. Allen doesn’t have the needed coaching, weapons or protection to do what McDermott needs. Allen has the tools but not the background. As we saw last Sunday Wyoming is a long way from Death Valley. 

5 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Hard to say.  To be fair to McDermott this is NOT a Super Bowl roster in my opinion.  Both lines need to be completely revamped, need to add at least one more playmaker on offense.  

And who's fault is that. McDermott is the one selecting these mediocre dlineman at the expense of not allowing Beane to select any competent offensive guys.

5 hours ago, muppy said:

fanbase split right down the middle. And this does NOT surprise me.

Until it happens there will be a doubt ...no recent behavior to indicate YES *shrugs* But I voted Yes.  Because in view of allll the circumstances and vital injuries I am not laying Sundays loss completely at his feet. That's just me though

I think you are missing the point. It's more than a loss to Cinci. The team has major issues on both sides of the line. The Oline and Dline has to improve dramatically. They have only one reliable WR and RB is a huge question mark. The coaching staff can't match up with other elite teams. The team is strangled by cap issues. Beane pretty much told us their isn't much he can do to improve the team. Only hope is the current players step up and Josh Allen wears the cape. It's beginning to look like the Beane McD era has run its course. Their best work is likely behind them. 

He answer to this question is as to do with whether or not he's improved.

Has he?

I don't think he has, not significantly anyway.  He was an OJT head coach when he got here and his progression/improvement hasn't been significant.

He's only been able to win two playoff games once, last season, but then he handed our opponent a win in the last few seconds of the game.

He's not capable of winning three or four playoff games in a row.

Edited by PBF81

1 hour ago, Governor said:

I don’t think there’s anything to be curious about. They will bounce back from this the same way they bounced back from 13 seconds, and the Texans debacle, etc.

I don't think that we'll win more than 11/12 games next season, and I wouldn't be surprised if we only won 9 or 10.

• Like (+1) 1

Bills will finally win it all only if McD leaves the team. He's a defensive minded HC who keeps tinkering with the defense since he got here. And look what it got us. All the playoffs losses is because of his wimpy coaching style and dog ***** defense in the playoffs. 

Edited by Joe Ferguson
  • Disagree 1

54 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

He's only been able to win two playoff games once, last season, but then he handed our opponent a win in the last few seconds of the game.

He's not capable of winning three or four playoff games in a row.

He won 2 playoff games in 2020 and one in each of '21 and '22, but you're otherwise correct.

I think he can win, but he'll need a few breaks.  He's not outcoaching anyone on gameday to get there.  Given all the injuries this year, I'm okay with him running it back one last time with the hopes that we can improve the oline in the off-season and that our D stays healthier next year.  After that, it's open season on McDermott as far as I'm concerned.  But I really would like to see a different OC brought in this offseason.  

6 hours ago, BillsPride12 said:

Hard to say.  To be fair to McDermott this is NOT a Super Bowl roster in my opinion.  Both lines need to be completely revamped, need to add at least one more playmaker on offense.  

This is exactly my answer. I don't know. But this roster is NOT a Superbowl winning roster. Not good enough up front (especially on offense) and not enough elite players. 

McDermott has some culpability in that because he certainly has a big say in the roster building strategy. But he and Beane combined need to do some surgery to the roster this spring. 

1 hour ago, Dr.Sack said:

I voted yes. But I’m assuming that Beane can find his mojo and draft AllPro level players. The 2019 to 2022 have yielded zero Pro Bowlers or All Pro’s. You can’t F up 5 years worth of draft and not find difference makers. If you do the roster ages out.

This.

• Agree 1

McDermott is being carried by Allen.  He has never realized you need speedy athletic edge rushers for his 4-2-5 defensive scheme to work effectively.  It was pulling teeth watching Rosseau, Basham, Lawson trying to get around the edge last week.  It works against bad quarterbacks like Wilson or Jones who will make bad decisions even when afforded time but it won't get you past elite QB's that will carve it up like Watson, Rivers, Mahomes and Burrow have done in the playoffs.  Time for a change.

I'm wondering if there was similar talk in Philly before Andy Reid was fired. I'm nowhere near the conclusion that McDermott is the problem. I think Beane is the more suspect of the 2. Too many of his high draft picks haven't met expectations and I still consider the Basham pick a big mistake. Everyone keeps saying that they shouldn't draft for need and then they go do it anyway. We needed OL help badly. Spencer Brown has been a bust. The Bengals were getting pressure with only 3 guys rushing the passer. No one was getting open. That pick could have helped us a lot more. Ford was a bust. Edmunds is good, but not great. Same with Oliver, but Edmunds is better. I'm not ready to send Beane packing either, but multiple positions in our roster have been exposed. FIX THE OL Beane!

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.