How confident are you in the Bills plan for 2023?

JohnNord

I saw a blurb about Davis Webb retiring to become a coach.. and that Joe Brady may be a candidate for an OC somewhere.., Webb seemed very close to Josh, bring him in as QB coach.. The O seemed to  be working better  year before last,  when he was around.. 

Edited by dwight in philly

The rest of the AFC East looks to be better next year, even possibly significantly better.  
Does anyone think the Bills will be any better next year?  They could be if they can fix their offensive and defensive lines but that seems a tall order because its not just a couple guys that need replaced. And are they going to somehow just obtain an effective running game?  Not if you base future predictions on what they've done in the past. 

They need to put all effort and fix that o line.  They need to use every resource they have on that.  If they can protect Allen and also open holes in the run game (Dorsey needs to self-reflect and utilize a run game properly next season too.) That in itself will fix a lot of the problem.  There is only so much you can do with the little resources we have in one off season.  This will have the biggest impact.

The D will be what it is.  I dont even care about it anymore.  Im fed up with them putting all of their top resources there just to be terrible in the post season.  It is what it is.  I expect it will be a bit better or the same with Hyde and Von back.  Also Tre should be better next year.  Maybe Elam is better and is actually played while he is on a rookie contract too.

Edited by Scott7975

4 hours ago, skibum said:

Even if they made big changes, who exactly would they bring in that's going to do a better job than McDermott, Dorsey, and Frazier? Anyone better is simply not available. 

There is probably someone (some people) who could do a better job available somewhere.

The problem is, we don't yet know who he is (or who they are)

We could bring in Zac Taylor or Nick Sirianni, or we could bring in some guys who didn't work out so well, like Kliff Kingsbury or Matt Rhule or Gase or Flores, or guys the jury is still out on like McDaniel or Salah or Stefanski.

I think it was the advice of one of the Rooneys, whose Steelers have been one of the most stable franchises in football, to bring in someone competent and driven, and let them figure it out.  That goes against the modern trend of 3 years and OUT! but I can't say it's produced worse results.

Edited by Beck Water

7 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

The plan seems to be to run it back.

If we lost 35-33 to the Bengals I would feel a lot better, but we didn't even show up. Offense looked inept. 

I worry that they will draft D in round 1 and 2. They can't seem to help themselves. 

How can they do much different. They have no cap space to spend big money and due to that will lose some depth and starters. They better do well in the draft or it will be a down year. 

Somehow, magically, Beane has to have an A grade draft, and work and sign A/B grade FAs. This year. That’s not going to make the Bills a better team that beats Cincinnati and KC, and Jacksonville and Miami, and Baltimore NEXT YEAR. 

Beane screwed this up already. Damage is done over the past four years. All misses. I’m not confident there’s a fix this year (what is the plan btw…??) that will lead Buffalo to the Super Bowl next season. 

IF he can string together three good off seasons, then there ya go. 

On 1/24/2023 at 3:02 PM, Your Brown Eye said:

I will admit, not much confident. They will still be a top tier team, I'm just not sure they have enough wiggle room to make the necessary big overhauls needed or bring in caliber players that puts this team over the top. 

A team who will be fighting to win the division. Not a Sure thing whatsoever. The Dolphins and Jets if they land a quality QB can contend for the division. It wouldn't surprise me if Miami wins the division. 

I expect another playoff appearance with another early exit. Right now, I just don't see a path to go further than that. The team is weak in the trenches, lacks weapons and explosive players. I have little confidence Frazier, Dorsey, and McD can compete and beat the likes of Reid and Taylor when it counts. Hope I'm wrong. 

13 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

The plan seems to be to run it back.

If we lost 35-33 to the Bengals I would feel a lot better, but we didn't even show up. Offense looked inept. 

I worry that they will draft D in round 1 and 2. They can't seem to help themselves. 

Seems like Beane is confident with his coaching personnel. I think this is a mistake but Beane is much smarter than me. 

Seems like Beane expects players to step up and improve. The likes of Gabe, Brown, and others. Time will tell how that pans out. Seems like more of a hope than a plan? 

Seems like Beane is hoping injuries players return and contribute. Von, Hyde, Benford, Tre, etc...

Beans was in a defensive mode throughout the press conference. Heceasnt even really being pressed hard by the soft Bflo media. What he said and didn't say left me with less hope for the future of the Bills organization. In essence, it's status quo, trust our coaches, our players will get better and be healthy. We don't have much capitol to make moves and I will draft well. 

On 1/24/2023 at 5:52 PM, JohnNord said:

After the end of the year pressers of Sean McDermott and Brandon Beane, I can’t say that I feel great about this team next season.  

There doesn’t appear to be any major changes on the coaching staff.  I’m ok with Frazier but have a lot of concern about whether Dorsey is actually going to better like everyone assumes.  It’s not a given that a first year OC gets better from year 1 to year 2.  

The other issue is the roster.  It’s basically a mulligan.  The problem is the cap situation.  There’s a lot of free agents who will be walking out the door and not a lot of money to replace them.  

What is Beane’s plan?

“"We gotta hit on draft picks. We gotta find low-cost free agents. It's on me and my scouting staff to make the right moves."

This is a concern because neither is something they have done well.  

So with limited draft capital less cap space and many holes what does this mean?  The Bills are doubling down on the coaches and talent who underperformed this year.  

- A number of role player or under performing players need to take a step forward this season (Spencer Brown, Gabe Davis, Ed Oliver, AJ, Basham, Elam, Benford.

- This years rookie class can’t afford not to contribute.

- Multiple  “bargain” free agents are going to need to have a similar impact to DaQuan Jones 

- Ken Dorsey is going to show he can evolve and change the offense, which is something we didn’t see much of in 2022.  

The wildcard here is Josh Allen.  He helped cover up for a lot of deficiencies and he certainly can better.  It sounds like the plan is to get him better weapon and protection but again… with limited options.  

Maybe I’ll change my mind over the next few weeks definitely change, but it just seems like the plan for next season is to do what this this team hasn’t done over the past 4 years. 

Dorsey did not do a good job this year. However, he is a first time play caller who was given Josh Allen, Stef Diggs, butterfingers Gabe Davis, underwhelming McKenzie, Rookie Cook and Shakir, and eventually the corpses of Beasley and Brown. Not to mention a garbage OL.

McDermott and Frazier are the veteran coaches. It is their turn to make progress with lesser investment in their side of the ball and give the guy with less experience more to work with this offseason. That probably means losing Edmunds and Poyer.

If you do that you can probably make one biggish signing this year of a WR2 or OLine. Then rd 1-3 needs to be OL and WR. That is where the offensive improvement would come from. 

The Bills are going to be fine next year. We still have a lot of talent. We have a superstar QB, superstar WR, Superstar DE (tho we will see how Von does coming off the ACL), all pro LB Milano, and hopefully a return from all pro Tre/Micah. That is a lot of difference makers on the team already. Helping the offense, health and some luck is all we need to really break through. We are closer than it felt like during the game last weekend.